Options

River Cruise Special Dinners/Receptions

We've taken 6 Tauck rivers cruises in the past 10 years and learned a lot about these events. We've also seen some evolution in them so I thought I'd write a brief overview.

The Welcome Reception is exactly that. It happens in the main lounge and is a chance for the tour and cruise directors to introduce themselves, introduce the ship's crew, and to brief everyone on the ship/tour routine. On our first cruise the reception was immediately followed by dinner in the Compass Dining room. Everyone ate at the same time with 6-7 courses and very limited choices unlike most nights on board where you have 3-4 courses and several options. In recent years the dinner after the reception is more likely to be like standard nights.

Farewell Reception is pretty much the reverse of the welcome minus the briefing. Dinner is typically like most nights on board. I seem to remember on our first that it was again a set length meal all eaten at the same time but I haven't seen that since. Often guests have very early departures the next day so they try to make it where you can finish packing and get to bed at a decent hour.

Chef's Signature dinner seems to have replaced the extensive dinners for welcome or farewell. It's a chance for the chef and staff to show off. A multi course menu with limited options. It's quite the treat to see the waiters all surround your table and place each diners plate simultaneously.

A dinner off the ship has happened on all but 1 of our cruises (a Christmas cruise). How fancy and gala the evening is depends on the tour. They have varied from grand palaces in Vienna with classical music entertainment to a fortified castle on the Rhine with meatloaf and an oompah band. They are also a nice break for the crew so if you don't plan to go you need to talk to the cruise director to make other arrangements.

Captains Dinner or Table?? This doesn't exist on Tauck river cruises. There was actually someone long ago on the forum who told a story about being invited to dine at the captains table. I asked a cruise director about that and was told that Tauck has never done that. It's one of many ways their river cruises differ from big ocean going ships.

Hope this info helps some of you wondering about what to expect. No doubt this will generate some apparel questions but really there is already tons of info and discussion about this elsewhere on the forum. If the packing list says Coat & Tie optional - they are otherwise assume you should bring them or the female equivalent. On the other hand this isn't the old Love Boat TV show and you'll never need Black Tie apparel.

Comments

• Options

The small ship tours do have Captain’s Table, that may have been the confusion. We have been on three and been on Captain’s Table each time. Originally, we were told the people who are Invited have been on the most Tauck tours. On our last one, that was definitely not the case. One person, it was their first tour. One of the TD’s told me they choose which people are invited. The main difference is pleasant conversation with the Captain who also might have personal guests too AND his choice of wine, definitely better than everyone’s else os served. It helps of you speak a little French too.

• Options

Claudia, thanks much for this! We head to Brussels for the northbound river cruise soon and your information is always helpful!