Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #44

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #40 won by Travel Guy
Submitted by SueMS. Oberammergau, Germany Passion Play Theater wardrobe worn by the actors in the Last Supper scene.

Round #41 won by Travel Guy (again)
Submitted by Sealord. View of the Gibraltar airport from one of the Rock’s many tunnels. Britain claims sovereignty over it. Seen on Spain & Portugal or Treasures of Spain & Portugal.

Round #42 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by AlanS. Photo of Skellig Michael island taken from shore during the Ring of Kerry drive. It was a location in three Star Wars films. Best of Ireland, Small Groups tour.

Round #43 won by AlanS
Submitted by KathyM. Italian Dolomites, WWI fortifications, Austro-Hungarian soldier. In the mountains outside Cortina di Ampezzo. The area is extremely rocky and has many tunnels and revetments and the site of some of the most horrendous fighting in WWI with high death counts on both German (Austro-Hungarian) and Italian sides (over 10,000 on the Italian side) due to wounds, hunger and cold- many died of extreme cold alone. The remains of 9,707 Italian soldiers are buried at the nearby shrine.

Round #44 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020

Name the glacier.
    Where is it located and why is its name deceptive regarding location?

• Options

How about Upsala Glacier, part of the Southern Patagonia Icefield. Name is deceptive because it comes from the old spelling with one p of Uppsala University, which sponsored the first glaciological studies in the area. The University is located in Uppsala, Sweden.

• Options

Smiling Sam strikes again. Good work!

Part of the glacier is in disputed territory, as both Chile and Argentina claim it. I can hear the negotiations: "That's my ice. No, it's my ice..."

• Options

Ice, ice, baby? :o