Options

Test positive?

From the Points Guy this morning. Why we have been cautiously too, one bitten….

I haven’t been to Asia since the start of the pandemic and I miss everything about it: the culture, the beaches, the scuba diving, etc. But to be honest, I’m not in a rush to go as soon as countries open up. One of the things I’ve realized with COVID-19 over these years is that things change rapidly and some countries tend to take a really hard stance when it comes to certain restrictions, like quarantine.

We’ve read incredible stories about people testing positive in Hong Kong, including asymptomatic people being put into government facilities for a month. The one thing I want to avoid is getting stuck — in a hotel and certainly in a government facility — where I have no control over what I’m eating or when I'm sleeping.

Some of the stories that I’ve heard about how people are treated when they test positive in some countries are unsettling, to say the least.

I personally recommend waiting to see how these countries handle the influx of tourists and, hopefully, I’ll start planning a trip for later this year or next. But for now, I am focused on domestic travel and Europe

Comments

• Options

We have done ‘pandemic’ tours with Ponant, Tauck, and Windstar. We are pretty comfortable in those environments. The venues were the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, and of course Antarctica. We now have four more Tauck tours booked for this year and next. ‘We are not young enough to postpone living.’

• Options

Sealord, I am with you. The difference between British and you is that you're not afraid of your own shadow. I'll live my life as I want and let the chips fall where they may. On her trip she exclaimed that people didn't wear masks and put everyone in danger. What we probably need to know is if anyone on that trip got COVID and were they wearing a mask or not? “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.”— Helen Keller

• Options

If I'm not mistaken, Iceland lifted ALL travel restrictions Feb. 25. I believe this means your neighbor on the plane might be unvaccinated. This isn't going to calm those already nervous about travel, but it will certainly help sell First Class and Business seats. At this point masks are still required onboard.

• Options

On our recent trip, we all wore masks indoors where required. But, we did have some people test positive aboard the ship. I do know that at least in one case ‘we’ brought it with us, cuz some people had ‘close’ contact with someone who had tested positive, but chose to continue the trip anyway. One or more of those people later tested positive on the ship. I’m not worried about people not wearing masks who have been vaccinated and tested … but I’ve always worried about people who make poor decisions. If someone in your family has covid, stay home.

• Options

Nvdb. On my first trip. 3 out of 14 tested positive, mask wearing was poor.
    First class and business class won’t help, several were not wearing masks in our business section on our last two flights.

• Options

Yes, you are right. Tauck is going to be busy with cancelations this week.
    I’m watching news coverage right now, I can barely keep it together, the last world war is still so close in history. I think about what my father saw and how hard it was for my mother who had to take care of her little sister after her father died and her mother needed to work in the munitions factory.

• Options
    milmil
    edited February 2022

OMG!!!! This threat is full of Optimism and positivity! I'm so sick of it.... Everything is negative...., people instead of complaining you should pray for the innocent people that are dying because of the greed of a madman.

• Options

It's depressing that since Tauck can certainly see who the flaggers are and, if even necessary, see what posts they've made to see if any were constructive...and then ban them. Better, too, if there was a probationary period during which you couldn't flag posts. Maybe a "right" to be earned after their posting some messages that actually get liked.

It'll be interesting to see how long (minutes, I'm guessing) before I get flagged...an honor under the circumstances.

• Options

I flagged 2 posts today that are clearly political and totally off limits for a travel forum.

• Options

Voikk32. Well, at least you have the guts to admit it. These posts do have political portions but also are focused on how the politics of this war will effect our travel. Who died and made you FaceBook or Twitter? (Just the main reason I have neither of these accounts.) If Tauck wants to take posts off this forum because of 5 flags, they should compare "flags" to "likes" and subtract the likes from the flags until the net total is 5 flags, then take it off. If that practice was used then Claudia would have -2 flags and I would have -1. It is amazing that you think you have the right to silence people in here.

• Options

Voikk32 - You are spot on.

• Options

There are a plethora of other social media sites where you can sling mud at each other. I suggest you go there and allow the Tauck travelers who use this forum for its true intent to not have to read such nonsense and vitriol. Grow up and learn some civility and humility. Isn't there enough hatred in the world without having to bring it here?

I suspect that the same individuals who call "flaggers" cowards will be quick to "flag" my post. I will not be responding to any comments. I, rather, will think of a few topics that might generate some interest.

Nonetheless, have a good day.

• Options

I do not think I have the right to silence people here. I merely flagged some posts that are clearly off limits for a travel forum and owned up to the fact that I did it. I am not the "anonymous" flagger, however, and I do wonder what the anonymous flagger is flagging for many posts that simply address various aspects of travel.

I don't post that often as I've not been traveling during the pandemic but I have found some helpful information and tips in others' posts and I enjoy looking at their travel photos and reading their reviews.

But sometimes I read through these posts and I just shake my head. These are "Tauck" people? This level of discourse is not what I expect of the caliber of person I've met on Tauck tours and I'm embarrassed for those who feel they are at liberty to personalize demeaning, disparaging and inappropriate comments.

Have at it!

• Options

Fyi, I deleted my earlier comment not because I regret it but because the post from ndvb which it references is gone.

• Options

I started this post with some information from an experienced traveler. Brian Kelly who lives not so far from here. It looks as if our experiences have put us in the same mind about traveling as him. We don’t want to be stuck in another country. This was a valid travel topic.
    Voikk32, you should certainly be allowed to say what you think, you have not been personal about anyone.
    Unfortunately, a Tauck traveler is anyone who can afford to pay for a Tauck tour and that encompasses a lot of people. I did think that we all had one thing in common, respect to follow Tauck rules and guidelines and not putting fellow tourers in possible jeopardy and Tauck Directors in a difficult situation. That’s what I witnessed on my last tour. It was extra sad because some of them were new Tauck travelers and two couples were the first in all my tours to be late to get to the bus, so late that we had to leave them behind because they were screwing up the timing for the rest of the day. We had to wait for them at the first stop but it shortened our next timing of free time and most of us had to rush and get our lunch instead of being able to take it easy for a couple of hours. I don’t care if their views or politics are not the same as me as long as I can chose not to be near them, I just don’t want my tour messed up.

• Options

kfnknfzk, this war is the greatest security breach since WWII. It will effect all of our abilities to travel, along with, more importantly, many peoples' ability to live. It's too bad you, and your cronies, can't discuss the specifics of why this is happening. By the way, if I was throwing mud I would be flagging everyone and not interested in reading other's thoughts. I've never "flagged" anyone's post in here and you should be embarrassed to have done so.