I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on lesser-known museums that travelers have discovered on their Tauck tours and/or pre and post tour days. I recently reported how the Purse and Bag Museum in Amsterdam had to permanently close its doors due to the pandemic.
AMSTERDAM
Below the Surface Museum -
The museum houses the artifacts/items found during construction of Line 52 of the Rokin Metro Station, which is in the city center. I wouldn't make a special trip, but if in the station I think it is worthy of a visit.
Houseboat Museum -
Located on the Prinsengracht Canal, the museum is actually a houseboat constructed within the hull of a former cargo ship. We discovered it while on a wine and cheese canal cruise. It is located just a short walk away from the Anne Frank Museum.
Our Lord in the Attic Museum -
During the Dutch Golden Age, Calvinism was the only recognized religion and Catholics were forbidden from practicing their religion. For a fee, however, the authorities turned a blind eye and allowed Catholics to practice their faith within certain homes. The refurbished canal home is not the attraction here, but found in the attic is an actual church. It is beautiful in its simplicity and is well worth the visit. It is located an easy walk away from the Central Station.
Museum Tot Zover (Dutch Funeral Museum) -
Although it sounds macabre, it really isn't. It is an exhibit covering all aspects of Dutch funerary practices and beliefs pertaining to life and death. It also houses some very nice paintings. The adjoining cemetery is also nice to stroll through.
I will continue to add other cities. I hope other travelers share their favorite "minor museums."