Options

kingdoms & Dragons- Bali - Singapore

Comments

• Options

Look forward to hearing about the secrets

• Options

Thanks British. I will look it up.

• Options

Hi, British and past travelers on this tour! We are getting ready for our trip and I wondered if you could answer a couple (well, o.k., three 😁) questions?

1) I know the climate is warm to hot, but when inside of hotels and restaurants, was the air-conditioning cranking so that you needed sweaters, pants, etc. (like in the States)? Just wondering what to bring as far as that goes. I know outside we will wear summer clothes. Also, would you ever wear long pants when walking about outside at night or is it too hot for that?

2) What kind of adapter is needed for electricity in Singapore & Indonesia? Do both countries have the same type of plugs?

3) Did anyone have a meal at CE LA VI at Marina Bay Sands and if so, would you recommend it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• Options
    edited September 2023

You could adjust the A/C in the hotels to you liking.
    Your choice about pants, I have very thin cotton ones, in fact, you can buy those type of pants on the tour. I can’t recall what I wore most nights, so sorry.
    We had lunch at the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel overlooking the infinity pool and the view. The restaurant was called Spago. It was a fantastic lunch. But we do enjoy adventurous food, for instance, our choice of appetizer was tripe in a wonderful tomato broth and it was fantastic.

• Options

Greetings from Singapore! Really enjoying it so far! Our tour starts tomorrow evening. Had dinner at a noodle place at Lau Pa Sat hawker market last night and sat with friendly locals. We had a fabulous dinner at Violet Oon National Kitchen tonight. Highly, highly recommend!! Food and staff were wonderful!! 😋 We had pre-dinner drinks al fresco on the deck at Smoke & Mirrors Bar (also at the National Gallery). Fun cocktails! Great views of Marina Bay! We also did the historic tour of the Raffles Hotel with Nazir, resident historian. He was great and we actually were the only ones on the tour so he ended up spending two hours with us! Thanks for the tip about that, mil & British! Also did the Singapore Flyer - fantastic views! Glad we did that. We walked to and from the Flyer - Raffles hotel is so conveniently located! Suite is beautiful as is the hotel. We had afternoon tea in the Grand Lobby which was relaxing, especially after the long flight the day before. Food tour tomorrow. It is hot 🥵 during the day but evenings have been comfortable (just humid). It’s kind of like Florida! 😁

• Options

buonviaggio, Hi.
    Glad you made it, I still have to wait a little more. :)
    Yes, I was comparing the humidity levels, and they are close but below Florida, I'll survive.
    Enjoy your trip and take mental notes...:)
    Thanks

• Options

Having a spectacular time on this tour!! For now, just a quick note for mil - yes, you can climb Borobudur. It’s an optional excursion and only four of us went but it was well worth it! Monkey forest is day #9 on our itinerary. I will ask about the rice terrace (I think you mean the optional one?) - I forgot to ask for the name. It was a new one for Tauck that was so peaceful with almost no one else around but us. Only two of us went but we loved it. It was amazing! More later! For those booked on this tour, you will love it!!

• Options

buonviaggio HI.
    Thank you, Thank U !!!!
    Glad to hear you are having and excellent time, enjoy every min.- It' getting closer...
    I will climb the Borodudur for sure! The rice field I will skip, going water rafting. :)
    Thanks again.

• Options

buonviaggio when do they offer the xtra climb to the temple, early morning?

• Options

Hi, mil! I found out the rice field is the Balinese name for “Hut” but don’t ask me to spell it! 🤪 We left for the Borobudur climb at 8:30am on Day #6 - they don’t open it to “climbers” till 9:00am. You do have to wear special sandals to do it which they give to you to use. You return to the hotel around 11am. We thoroughly enjoyed that excursion! We really wanted to do whitewater rafting but we also didn’t want to skip any of the planned activities. It was a tough call! So definitely let me know how it was! This is a really awesome tour!

• Options

buonviaggio hi :)
    Great to know it's on Day 9th, I kind of thought that, it's better to visit early morning and yes! I know about the sandals; I saw it in Youtube .
    I will skip the visit to the village and the blessing of the temple in Ubud; I'm doing a tour setup by the Hotel and also the water rafting, once I'm back to the hotel I'm doing my Spa.

I'll pass on the rice field too, I did that in Vietnam and also the Four Seasons has some in sight, so I can take some sunset pictures there too.
    Okay dear, keep enjoying your trip, here I am paranoid about staying healthy... before I go, working in the medical field it's always challenging.
    Have a great day and Thanks again.
    Enjoy.

• Options

Mil, I’ve been trying to find my notes for this tour but don’t have them with me. We could not go to the Water Gardens as they were still closed last year. I can’t recall what we did instead. I looked at the current itinerary. We definitely had no option to climb Borobudur when we took the tour. The Pheonix hotel is the one that people thought was horrible and dirty. I did not think it was that bad and you are only there overnight, getting up at so,e ungodly hour ot get to the airport and miles and miles walking between terminals. The lunch was not good, but by now I would think they are used toTauck standards. The tour was still relatively new when we went and the area had just opened up post travel restrictions. Our Spa treatment was awesome. Have a wonderful time and please post your thoughts when you get back

• Options

My dear British, I'm enjoying your Japan posting and pictures, it's a trip to consider.

I still have a few days to go.. getting excited, but with a dark cloud on my head @ work they have layoff a bunch of people and not sure what comes for me... ahead.
    But whatever happens I'M GOING ON MY TRIP! I know that much. :) and I'm doing everything I have planned.
    There's always the 401K. right!
    The option to climb the Borobudur it's a new one.. (not sure if Tauck, did climb before Covid shutdown) , but now apparently it is open to climb again... since the temple finally open to the public a couple of months ago, Thanks God. I will do it for sure. :)
    I saw the Pics of the Pheonix hotel, it is not horrible- maybe they were having staff issues etc.. I will let you know. :) of course, after the Amanjiwo Resort it is a shocker... but people also like to complain...

About the walking miles, it since to me the entire tour it's a Marathon... all the airports, Singapore Marina etc.. and I haven't done anything, no walking at all, - this past month, I will be on the Advil diet. :)
    Well, my friend, keep having a great time. Take care and hope to have you back safe soon so then Namibia we go!

buonviaggio any scary Covid scare within the group? I'm going like a Scuba diver! cover head to toe. :)

Have a great week everyone.

• Options

buonviaggio hi.
    Sorry to bother you, could you kindly verify. which domes Tauck took the group to @ The Gardens by The Bay.
    The Forrest dome it's going to be closed for maintenance on the day Tauck has it schedule, so I will buy my own ticket to visit on Day 2.
    Thanks

• Options

mil - I don't remember what domes we visited @ Gardens by the Bay, but if I remember correctly you can stay there after the tour is over. The Phoenix hotel was a let down after the other ones but I didn't think it was dirty, it's only a night, I remember I had to ask for towels as there were none in the bathroom but they brought them right away.
    There was no option to climb Borobudur when I went which was about a week ahead of British. My flight delays and cancellation took away 2 extra days in Singapore so I may have to go there again.

• Options

Hi Gladys, hope you're doing well.
    Yes, I do remember your odyssey with the flights.
    Regarding the domes at the Gardens, the itinerary says, both the Flower and The Cloud Forest, but the forest will be closed on DAY 3- so it looks like instead of switching the activities, they will do the observatory from the big tree, but no word on the flower dome.
    I just want to buy tickets from here and Tauck has no clue- everyone has a different answer.
    :(

• Options

I thought we saw everything at the gardens Mil. You could always go to the Botanical gardens instead in your free time, they were lovely and worth experiencing.

• Options
    milmil
    edited October 2023

for those going on the next tour - Day 3 the Cloud Forest will be CLOSED for Maintenace, instead Tauck will do as schedule... the Garden visit (Flower Dome) and The SuperTree Observatory as a replacement. If interested on seeing the Cloud Forest book it on your own, for Day 2. any time after 4:00 pm. the group get into the hotel between 3:15-3:30 pm
    "NO" more changes in Singapore.

• Options

Hi, mil! Still loving this trip! Everything has been outstanding! Saw the Komodo dragons yesterday. The schooner ride was wonderful! So relaxing! Just got to our final stop at the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay. Gorgeous! I am happy to share more when I get back but I wanted to answer your questions. We visited the Cloud Forest and Flower Dome at Gardens by the Bay. We had time after the guided tour if we wanted to stick around and see more of the Gardens. British is spot on - we did go to the Botanic Gardens in our free time and the orchids there are beautiful (and more plentiful than at the Flower Dome). So many varieties! We did visit Gardens by the Bay at night another evening and that was a spectacular show. It’s just crowded so allow time to get there and to find a spot to plant yourself (pun intended 😜) for the show. Phoenix Hotel was fine. I thought it had character. I mean, it’s no Raffles or Four Seasons, but for one short night it was perfectly fine and worth it to stay there in order experience the area. Our room was clean and I didn’t hear anyone else complain about the cleanliness there. Knock on wood, no COVID issues with the group. Sorry to hear about the layoffs at work. The hotels and amenities on this tour are so amazing, it will hopefully help you forget about work for a while and kick back and enjoy the fabulous experience!

• Options

buonviaggio, thank you so much!!!!!!!

Work it's fine, I'm still here :) the curse of the grannie-Botswana snake hasn't hit me. :)
    I love you how you have made time to answer my questions, I truly appreciate it. I have booked so many xtras that I won't have time to sleep... I'll be like a dynamo the entire trip.
    Yes, I think the Phoenix was probably having staff problems and also, they know now how Tauck works.
    I bought my ticket for the Cloud Forest, so I'm in. :) and yesterday I spoke to the local guide that will work with me before Tauck. so, I'm all set.
    Enjoy the FS Jimbaran, it is Amazing. I'm a Four Seasons follower... 9 so far, love them.

Have a lovely rest of your trip, checkout the Spa. they have great treatments.
    Enjoy

Thanks
    Mil.

• Options

We are back! Mil - Wishing you a spectacular trip and a fun adventure! Thanks for the tip about the spa at the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay. I did go and it was a beautiful and peaceful place! Plus the massage was the best!! The food at the Four Seasons restaurants was delicious and the breakfast spread - just wow! Overwhelmingly good! I’m happy to answer any questions from anyone about the tour. I highly recommend it!! A number of our traveling companions said this was their favorite Tauck tour! We will miss the over the top service, the incredible resorts and the wonderful people of Indonesia and Singapore! So glad we chose this tour.

• Options

Welcome back!!! Are you missing the Seaview from your plunging pool? I'm getting close... almost all done, suitcase, photography gear and mentally, cannot wait.
    Did you had a chance to see the Jewel? Is Singapore really a walkable city? it seems everything it's 15-20 min. walking distance. :)
    What would you say about the food selection by Tauck at those rest. outside the resorts? The lectures? I'm skipping all but the Raffles- Gardens by the Bay.. I have no choice. :)
    Is there anything you did not like?

Well, now relax, enjoy your home and checkout the pictures. :)
    Have a lovely day and thanks for all your info.
    Mil.

• Options

Yes, mil, we do miss those gorgeous views from our villas and the wonderful plunge pools! The Raffles Hotel is very conveniently located near various shops, restaurants and attractions. I loved it. We walked to the Singapore Flyer. We could have walked to Marina Bay Sands but we took a taxi to save time (and sweat - LOL!). We took a bus a couple of times during our food tour (pre-Tauck tour) to get to certain places like Airport Road Hawker Center. Our first night we took a taxi to La Pau Sat Hawker Center and then walked back to the hotel. It’s nice to be in such a safe city! The subway is also easy to use from what I heard. We thought the food throughout the tour was delicious. The only meal we weren’t as crazy about was the one at the ballet in Java, but I thought some of it was tasty, other bits were just ok. They did give you a wide variety of items family-style there. The view from the restaurant was spectacular. Just be sure to bring insect repellent there. The lunch at the rice terrace in Bali was excellent and we loved the meal at Alvin’s house in Singapore. Plus, Alvin was a hoot! The lunch at the Hub was very good, too. The breakfast everywhere was so amazing. We especially loved the Mee Goreng. I think it was the best at Plataran in Flores but it was excellent everywhere! We miss that, too! The food at both Four Seasons and the Aman was probably our faves. We did the cooking class and IMHO that meal was also delicious! 😁 But it was all great! We really miss all of the wonderful, mouth-watering food! I enjoyed the lectures. I like to absorb the history and culture of the places we visit.
    Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to visit the Jewel. However, our tram passed by the waterfall on the way to our terminal when flying home, so we got to catch a glimpse of it. Very cool! 😎
    Have a fantastic trip!!! I know you will!! It’s really a phenomenal tour all around. Buon viaggio! 😉

• Options

Also - if it is of interest, the beach level pool at the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay has Happy Hour two for one drinks at 5pm. We enjoyed absorbing the atmosphere in a cabana with fun cocktails. It was also fun to see lots of people come out “to play” when the sun was setting - it was very festive! Cheers! 🥂🍹🧉

• Options
    milmil
    edited October 2023

buonviaggio
    Grazie!!! it sounds Amazing, thanks again. I'm all ready to rock- roll-
    Well, I know Four Seasons food it's always excellent! and I would imagine Amanjiwo it's the same top High-end resort. I have all my Spa treatments re- confirm and luggage ready. :) and also ready for Happy Hour, at the infinity pool- which it's beautiful.
    So, now I just have to wait. :)
    Thanks for your info and hope to see some pics soon.
    Have a great day.

• Options

Mil - One other thing I thought to mention - in Singapore, the National Gallery is in walking distance to the Raffles Hotel. There’s a bar at the top called Smoke & Mirrors which has excellent views. They also have creative cocktails, if that’s of interest. And - we used both taxis and Grab. Both were great! But you have to pick up Grab at designated pick-up spots if not at a hotel or similar landmark. (We thought we could just stand anywhere like Uber.) Have a spectacular journey!!!! Looking forward to hearing about it so we can vicariously relive the wonderful destinations! 😀

• Options
    milmil
    edited October 2023

buonviaggio you are Hilarious! I will make sure I visit the roof-top bar at the Gallery. :) . Hopefully the other single traveler it's young and like to do fun stuff. Yes, I read about meeting Grab at specific locations... that's probably not going to work so well, will see. I just got in from my nail salon and planning on organizing all my paperwork. Covid QR-Cards etc.. and the arrival card, waiting to enter the 3-day time zone to apply. I already did my checking and the plane it's FULL!!! not an empty seat. Yuk! I'm double masking.
    Okay my friend, I'll keep you guys posted, as possible :) my travel days always are 28 hours long, not sure why. :)
    Thanks again for all your info. I will remember everything.
    Have a great evening.
    Mil.

• Options

Mil - How was your Kingdoms & Dragons trip?? Hope you had a spectacular time!!

• Options
    milmil
    edited November 2023

Hi buonviaggio
    I can back Sunday 29th. from 96F. to an office that was at 52F, So you can guess... I got a horrible cold, NOT COVID! no one in our group had Covid and we did only wear masks as a group at airports and on airplanes.

The trip was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm planning on writing my experience... soon, now that I'm feeling better. I need to select the pictures I'm posting and upload them.

Here a few facts/events, no rain at all, not even at night, it was 92-94f. while in Singapore and Indonesia, it got to 96f in Bali, mainly in Denpasar.

I did stay 2 xtra days at the Four Seasons Jimbaran. soak @ the beach, the 4 pools besides my own plunge pool. My villa facing the ocean # 65 with someone on the top villa playing the saxophone like Kenny G. I kept the bathroom (outside shower) door open so I could hear it late into the night. Magical.
    The kids riding the buggies became my friends and took me to see some hidden gardens on the upper part of the resort. - great pics, amazing view of the ocean.
    Did Spa's every 4 days! I was in heaven, all 90 min. + and all different treatments.
    My fav. the lady from Raffles was the best massage, next the one in Amanjiwo and third the FS Jimbaran- this Spa it's so beautiful and peaceful, it was a great end of my trip, - literally, I ended my Spa, went to the salon, haircut & blow-dry and straight to my room to get ready for the airport pick up.

and off I went Emirates to Dubai and Seattle

I will start my report tonight, I promise. :)

P.D: humidity was around 56% and I came back looking like a Hershey chocolate milk Bar, LOVE IT!

• Options

Welcome Back, Mil! Thanks for the update! I’m so glad you enjoyed the trip! But, how could you not? 😀 It’s such a fantastic tour and a wonderful part of the world to visit. Sorry you caught a cold but glad you were healthy for the trip and your group stayed healthy, too. No rain - nice!! How awesome that you had a saxophone serenade at Jimbaran Bay! I love the 🎷. Weren’t the people lovely everywhere? And the food…..OMG!!! Can’t wait to see your pics and read more about your adventures.