Options

Soft sided luggage required?

I understand there is a 15lb limit for carry on and 44 lb limit for checked bags. Do the checked bags need to be soft sided, or will a light weight hard case be ok? i keep looking through the provided information but can't find the answer. Thank you!

Comments

• Options

Any standard suitcase, hard or soft is acceptable as long as it doesn't exceed 44 lb.. The reason for the guidance, "Due to space limitations during your Tauck journey, we ask that you please limit your checked luggage to one average-size suitcase per person." is for baggage handling and transfers. Unlike other Africa tours, a Tauck duffle is not provided nor needed.

• Options

I just returned from this tour. The restrictions are because of the four internal flights on Airlink. The single checked suitcase under 44lbs is their rule. Our TD explained that as long as you were close to the 44lbs, you’d likely be fine but if you start pushing 50lbs, they may charge you for a heavy bag.

In terms of the carry on limited to 15lbs, I wouldn’t worry too much about that one. My carry on bag is a backpack full of camera equipment. It weighs well over the 15lbs, but it is well under the size limit for a carry on and it doesn’t look that heavy. I’ve never been asked to weigh it on any trip. They didn’t weigh anyone else’s carry on bag either. Airlink does have their own equivalent of gate check called sky check and everyone with small rolling luggage just sky checked their carry ons. The overhead bins on the planes aren’t large enough to accommodate them but my backpack fit easily.