Options

Leaving this weekend...anyone else going?

I'm doing my final packing for the trip. Any tips on how many pants, shirts, etc. I should take? Also, has anyone flown on Turkish Airlines? I don't know much about them.

Thanks,
Tracey

Comments

• Options

If you haven't already seen this, watch the Tauck page on facebook. The pictures of the Great Migration are amazing. We did this trip 5 years ago and saw the migration but not as spectacular as this video. Its a wonderful trip.

• Options

TraceyL
    1:48PM in Great Migration: Tanzania & Kenya
    I'm doing my final packing for the trip. Any tips on how many pants, shirts, etc. I should take? Also, has anyone flown on Turkish Airlines? I don't know much about them.

Thanks,
    Tracey

There are various recommendations and forum threads as to what to pack and wear. Check out the archives. For K&T and Botswana, SA, Zambia, we mostly wore safari clothes (Columbia PFG). Like K&T and B,SA,Z laundry service was available at reduced prices or free at most camps.

Turkish was great at least in Business class. We used them last year for Jordan & Egypt. They use different aircraft on different routes, so we chose specific US gateway cities going (ATL) and coming home (JFK) to be sure we had 1 - 2 - 1 in either 787-8 or A350-900 aircraft. There is no guarantee, however. We used Delta, miles, and separate tickets to get from/to our home airport to the US gateway airports used by Turkish. That was quite a bit cheaper than a single ticket using United, a Star Alliance carrier. We made sure we left sufficient connection time. The Turkish business lounge in Istanbul is excellent.

• Options

We have done an Ireland tour with Tauck and we had a great time. Accommodations were all 5 star. We had a blast. We want to do a Migration Safari with Tauck and researching their Hotels and accommodation. The first night was at the Rivertrees Country Inn. I looked at the website and it is a $65 per person sharing hotel and the other Hotel is Kitela $210 per person sharing and the hotel looks like a dump inside. I’m just disappointed might have to look somewhere else.

• Options

Victoria1234 - Check the hotels on the Kenya & Tanzania: a Classic Safari tour. The hotels are very nice on that tour. The tour you mention may have lesser hotels because it follows the path of the animals and therefore the choices are limited.

• Options

I’ve been on six safaris but not the Great migration. I think it is very very overpriced. We’ve seen plenty of animals without the need to see thousands. We’ve seen them crossing the river with crocs after them anyway, just not in massive migration numbers. For us that is enough. The funny thing is, on regular tours, once people have seen a few wildebeest and zebras, they don’t even want to stop to observe them and yet that is basically what you see on the migration. Admittedly it might attracted more big cats, but that is not guaranteed. I would rather spend my money on a longer regular safari tour. Just of course my personal opinion.

• Options

And after my careful date planning, hoping to catch the migration, well guess what. The rains hadn't arrived and the migration was later by a week or two. The animals can sense when the rains are coming or not.

• Options

It was still a great trip, although a little rough riding. Botswana, Tanzania and SA was a better trip IMO.