Options

Jewish sites visited on Magic of Morocco?

I was wondering if the Magic of Morocco tour visits any Jewish sites? If so, where do they go? Also - is there enough free time to visit sites on our own without missing regular tours? Thanks!

Comments

• Options

I would suggest that you go to Mike Henderson's website as he did a wonderful travel blog on Morocco. www.mikeandjudytravel.com We are going to Morocco in November two days after Egypt and the Nile tour. Can't wait!!

• Options

Agree with Noreen. Mike’s travel blog is great. We did this tour in April 2023. In Fez they included the historical Jewish area and in Essouria there was a visit to an historic Jewish temple. In terms of free time on your own, it is predominantly in the evening after dinner. We explored on our own an a pre- day in Rabat. On our post tour day we relaxed at the Four Seasons in Marrakesh. Heaven on earth.

• Options

The tour visited several Jewish sites, as well as Muslim sites. I don't remember the names of the Jewish sites we visited but they are listed on my blog, https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2022-1Morocco-01.htm. While there was a vibrant Jewish community in Morocco in the past, most of the Jews have left, probably for Israel.

Morocco was a very good trip - much better than I expected. Casablanca does not have a whole lot to see, but the other cities, Rabat, Fez and Marrakech were very interesting. And the activities on the tour were generally good and interesting.

The movie, Casablanca, was the impetus for this trip (for me).

• Options

When we were in Morocco in 2021, there was an optional tour of the Jewish cemetery. Maimonides lived in Fez for awhile. Ironically, his former home is now a Chinese restaurant!

• Options

MikeHenderson - The movie, Casablanca, was the impetus for this trip (for me).

Mike, you should watch Gravity or Interstellar. Perhaps you'll get some new travel inspirations. :D

• Options

SGF: When we were in Morocco in 2021, there was an optional tour of the Jewish cemetery. Maimonides lived in Fez for awhile. Ironically, his former home is now a Chinese restaurant!

Here's a good article that mentions Maimonides' home in Fez - https://www.hadassahmagazine.org/2020/07/01/morocco-jewish-memory-lives/

• Options

Marrakesh was hit by a fairly severe earthquake. Check status before you go.

• Options
    edited September 2023

The first travel date for this tour is October 14th. Tauck will have assessed the local conditions before then and contact people as appropriate. It can be a good idea to enroll in the STEP program so the US government knows where you are and it’s a way that relatives have a way of contacting you in an emergency too We do sign up for some countries we go to.
    Here is a link. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/step.html

• Options

British - Thank you for this suggestion.

• Options

My husband and I just returned from this trip. Absolutely loved it. There was a very interesting Jewish Cemetery as part of a tour. I am a shopper, not really a buyer though. I could have used more time for shopping in some of the Medinas on our own. We arrived a day early and walked to the Medina in Fes but where it was the first day, with better options to come, we were really just looking around. This area seemed safe and the people were wonderful. There are some long bus rides.

• Options

Debi, can you tell me what kind of things you see that you might want to buy in the medias there. Are they the same as you see in Israel, Jordan and the Arab states. I found them fascinating but apart from pashminas and spices, there was not much else that really attracted me. I do love pottery but Mr B puts his foot down on carrying too much of that!

• Options

Yes, there is a ton of cheap, junky things. I love rustic things with texture. I was looking for Moroccan pillow covers for my living room and they had many in many different colors, bought two. Also the white handmade pottery was really nice, bought three matching but different height candle holders and a flower vase with three different heights attached. The best market was in Essaouira, but skipped a synagogue to have time. Also 2 small bud vases for gifts. We had bought 2 small rugs at the Tauck rug merchant but I think we could have gotten better prices in the Medina but maybe not the quality. Also we always come home with a couple of scarfs. Last year in Egypt, they didn't bring us to any shopping Medinas because it was too close after covid and (I think) too far from our hotel for them. I can try to have my husband post photos later. We travel carry-on only, so it makes buying tough. (discarded a couple pairs of sneakers and some clothes to make room but plan for that)

• Options

Debi Horan. Welcome Home & thanks for the recap! I'm scheduled to take the Magic of Morocco tour next November. Like you, I only use carry-on. My one trusty expandable compression Briggs & Riley International carry-on has taken me across the globe. I do pack a Longchamp Pilage tote bag for small gifts. I regret not buying a rug on my first trip to India - especially after I saw how the rugs are folder and you can simply carry them with you. I'm headed back to India - countdown 17 days!. I will definitely look for a nice small rug and possible tote it back home in the Tauck provided duffle bag.

• Options

Returned from this amazing tour on November 5. Would return in a heartbeat. For shoppers Tauck does take you to a few higher quality shops in the medinas. However as a shopaholic I hired a shopping guide for our extra end of your day in Marrakesh. Bought a beautiful crafton and lovely slippers.

• Options

Pure Luxury: We have been eyeing the India trips so please report when you get back. Which one are you taking?

• Options
    edited December 2023

Debi Horan I'm not scheduled to take this tour until November 2024. Next week I depart for Northern India-Nepal.