Options

Luggage Limitations Joy Danube Christmas Market

Are there luggage limitations (number of bags or weight restrictions) for the Christmas Market Tour on the Danube (Joy)? We are staying in Europe for a total of 3 weeks (1 week on Tauck) and often travel with 1 standard checked bag (weight around 60 lbs which is acceptable by the airline/ticket class) and a carryon. We travel with a cpap machine and meds in a carry on which would not fit in a personal/purse size carryon. Plan on wearing our coats but packing an extra set of boots and bulky winter clothing eats up a lot of room. Have never had an issue with the airlines and this is our first Tauck cruise.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 11

Tauck specifies the allowances on their website and paperwork. It is never more than one large bag weighing no more than 50 pounds, ever. Sometimes the limit is 44 pounds. It doesn’t matter what class of plane ticket you have. You also have to think of the people who will be carrying your luggage to hotels and boat.
    I suggest rethinking what you are taking entirely. First, find a suitcase that weights the least when empty. Yes, carry a warm coat, but consider taking less heavy or thick clothing. Think layering with thin clothing that you can take on and off. There are lightweight boots which do the job equally well, I have several pairs that do the job, are warm and waterproof with good traction. Use compression packing bags or cubes to reduce bulk in the suitcase. You might be able to wear clothing more often than on a hot summer trip and people do report that the Christmas market tours are the most casual for clothing than all the river cruises. Don’t forget, it might not be that cold too.
    We haven’t taken a Christmas market cruise but have taken several three week trips and never needed more than one suitcase weighing no more than 50 pounds.
    Aren’t cpap machines considered as medical devises and you can carry one in addition to your carry on bag?

• Options

They won’t weigh your bag on the Christmas Markets cruise. You can take one large bag and a carryon each. The dress is very casual, Christmas sweaters and corduroys or nice jeans. I often wore the same clothes at dinner that I had on during the day. There will be one night that you’ll want to dress a bit nicer. Layers for outdoors, we’ve found the weather to vary quite a bit, and often rain. Remember that you’ll be doing a bit of shopping so you may need another bag for bringing home gifts and gluhwein mugs!

• Options

I believe British meant to say "not more than 50 pounds". Concur with mfrancis that dress on the Christmas cruises are very casual. Warm pants, sweaters, etc. Even on the night of the Chef's Signature dinner I saw everything from sparkly cocktail dresses to Christmas sweaters. You'll be flying in winter so wear your coat onboard the plane. If all else fails there is laundry provided on board that isn't too expensive.

• Options
    edited April 11

Whoops yes, not more than 50. I corrected it.

• Options

Thanks everyone. We are not novice travelers and this isn’t our first European “rodeo” so, in regards to knowing what and how to pack, we have that down. We live in the Rocky Mountains so I am familiar with layering in winter and manage most days in a down vest. As to British’s comment on thinking of the people who will be carrying our luggage, that will be us. We are in our 50’s, very fit/strong, and never had a problem lifting our bags. Unless the ship or hotel doorman puts it on a luggage trolley and demands they take our bag to our room, we wheel our bags with us wherever we are transferring. My husband’s motto is “you pack it, you schlep it” which was more for our daughter who used to be an over-packer. I have also read comments about taking an extra collapsible duffle type bag for souvenirs and Christmas market finds along with tape and bubble wrap for anything fragile. Was more curious about the weight being an issue. Even if we start with 40 or 50 pounds in Vienna, by the time my daughter and I finish shopping the Christmas Markets, we could be approaching 70 pounds when we reach port in Nuremberg ;) Joking aside, 1 bag/1 carry-on and 50-60 pounds isn't’ a problem with business class on the airline and just wanted to confirm it wouldn’t be on the cruise.

Helpful info Claudia on the dress for dinner and laundry provisions on board.

• Options

Maresc -I’ve been on all 3 Tauck Christmas Markets trips. You’ll be fine.

• Options

"You pack it, you schlep it" doesn't apply to Tauck trips, with the possible exception of a few people bringing an additional rolling carry-on or extra duffel which Tauck 'may' allow. It varies by tour and TD but you could be required to transport this to and from your room and the motor coach- the requirement varies. I've seen it both ways.

It has nothing to do with your physical ability etc. or your desire to help out. On land tours and some boat tours, Tauck, hotel, and contracted people always schlep your bags for a good reason. When moving from hotel to hotel, etc. the staff picks up your bags from inside your room very early and loads them on the motor coach. That way, after breakfast when it is time to board, there is no time wasted- you board, a head count is taken and off you go. You may schlepp a small day bag to keep at your seat if you want. On a number of Tauck tours you may fly in small aircraft not suitable for a standard suitcase. In that case Tauck will issue you a duffel bag for some or all of the tour which you MUST use. Additional luggage which doesn't fit in the aircraft is often transported via separate overland means, e.g. several Africa tours, and Spirit of the Desert; National Parks of the Southwest, etc.

Tauck will provide you a luggage tag, and it is a big part of the TD's job to ensure the correct number of bags are transported and arrive. If everyone schlepped their own bags, loading and unloading could be chaotic, waste valuable touring time, and it would be difficult for the TD to verify everyone's bags were transported. Next year Tauck will have been running tours for 100 years- they know what they are doing. Enjoy this benefit of traveling with Tauck!

Size and weight are not really critical issues like they are with commercial airlines and small aircraft, but to ensure the staff is not overburdened carrying and loading monster luggage, Tauck has determined size and weight limit that they expect their clients to voluntarily adhere to. Unlike the airlines, Tauck does not weigh your luggage.

• Options

Thank you to Alan for backing me up on what Tauck asks you to adhere to.

• Options

Terrilynn, I love how you simplify the lessons for packing for a trip from your all of your travel experiences. Yes, packing less is absolutely liberating. I am still learning.

• Options

Thanks so much Terrilynn! Great advice!