Options

Okavango Delta

For anyone who would like to do some homework on the Delta and the annual floods, I recently watched a couple of very good National Geographic documentaries: Into the Okavango; and The Flood.

Comments

• Options

Thanks.

When studying the Delta before our trip a few years ago, I found it most interesting, that during the flood and at other times, unlike most rivers in the world, all the Okavango's little streams and rivulets do not flow into a bigger river or to the ocean, they flow to nowhere and just drain into the sand or evaporate!

• Options
    edited May 8

We timed our Z,B, and SA trip to be at the Falls at maximum flood stage and the Okavango full of water. Both the Victoria Falls and the Okavango were spectacular.

• Options

Alan - "unlike most rivers in the world, all the Okavango's little streams and rivulets do not flow into a bigger river or to the ocean, they flow to nowhere and just drain into the sand or evaporate!"

Never been to Tucson, I see. :D

• Options
    edited May 8

I'm not counting arroyo flash floods! B)

• Options

Neither was I. Sabino Creek or Santa Cruz River are two examples in Tucson. I do my morning walk along Sabino Creek. It has flowing water about 4-6 months per year.