We had a tour cancelled two months ago so re-booked for next year. Unfortunately we couldn't get the departure date we wanted, so selected an available one and asked to be put on the waitlist for our preferred date. I already knew a little, but today I learned a bit more about waitlists from the agent:
- When you ask to be put on a waitlist for specific sold out tour or departure, Tauck sends you a confirmation email. (they never used to do that)
- Tauck phone agents do not know your position nor how many people are on a wait list. They are not provided with nor have access to this info.
- Working the waitlist when spots become available is a manual process involving phone calls to those on the list.
- Note: When a spot becomes available and Tauck starts going through the waitlist, the website tour/departure status (which is computer generated) will show "limited" availability, despite no vacancies actually being available. It stays that way (sometimes for days) until someone on the waitlist accepts the spot (unless everyone declines.) During this time, if anyone else sees "limited" availability and calls to book, they will be told the tour/departure is sold out. I think this is backwards?!? It should say "sold out" until everyone on the waitlist has been contacted and all have declined the spot, making it truly available. Wondering if I somehow missed a waitlist call from Tauck, I needlessly called them a few times before I learned this last piece of information