rustycatter wrote: I never go on solo trip but i want to be go for a solo trip.
Grammiemara wrote: Active 70's looking to take first solo trip. Any tips which trips best. Would like to hear how other solo travelers enjoyed Tauck tours.
BSP51 wrote: a1mee = SPAM
LadyL wrote: I have done solo trips with Tauck and with Uniworld. Both couples and singles are always welcoming, and I always have a great time. Both of these companies attract interesting, well traveled people from all over the world. This year I will be on a Tauck river cruise on the Rhine, and I am looking forward to it. Personally, I think river cruising is a delightful way to travel!
Tania_gromenko wrote: Pick up your Favorite destination, Back Pack & Just go for your Favorite destination. You don't need to think that much for travelling solo. Travelling solo is bundled with so many adventurous experiences. Now a days everything is available at a single click online.
I always go solo and I love it!, you can do as you please during leisure time.. no need to negotiate with partner.. , you meet new people and you are free to travel any where you want at the time it's most convenient for you. It takes you outside your comfort zone and you learn a lot about yourself. Love it.
I took a solo trip to Georgia last year. I'm 50 and actually I was going to travel with my daughter, but she could go with me cause of her job. I heard it's a pretty safe country, so I decided to go on my own. I took a Tbilisi tour package by One way tour and I liked it so much, its nature and architecture and nice people, so now I want to visit other former USSR countries.
Grammiemmara: I have enjoyed more than twenty tours as a solo with Tauck. Most couples will include the solos for meals and other activities. As Sealord suggests, I always plan activities for free time before leaving home - I can always change my mind if I arrive and find I want to do something different with another guest. I check guide books, Viator and other sites for ideas of things to do on my own and I really enjoy the "alone time" after being in a group for a number of hours. Remember to plan something special for at least a few of the evenings that are open - try to find a local play or an opera or whatever meets your interests. The hotel concierge can help with tours and such as well. Pick a tour and get packed - you will have a wonderful time.
I guess Grammiemara will be 80ish now and might no longer be with us, she only posted once. Wonder if she ever used Tauck?
Is 80ish too old for a trip solo? Lot's of places left on my bucket list and I'm now alone.
We have been on trips with 80+ singles. Depends on your health and confidence in being able to participate.
It all depends on the person- I have seen both ends of the spectrum- on one tour we had one 80+ single lady, who, against the wishes of her family went on Hidden Gems of NE. She had a 3-toed cane and a walker (four legged w/tennis balls) that the driver kindly stowed under the bus for her. It was a chore for her to climb into the bus. There were a number of folks who kindly helped her. She got "lost" at least twice, once at the Vermont Country Store and again at Billings Farm- we had to send out search teams. All times to return to the bus were adjusted earlier to allow her to get back. It didn't help that she lost or didn't have a watch!
On the on hand, we have had 80+ people with as much or more energy that some of the 60+ folk who were sharp as a tack!
My husband will turn 98 this fall when we are on a Tauck small ship cruise. His age is merely a number. He is healthy, active and will continue to travel as long as he can. He never slows down the group while on tours. Last year while on the Douro cruise some fellow travelers complained about having to walk up about 15 steps in Porto. My husband gladly led the way. Granted, he does tire if there is a significant amount of walking. For that reason, we no longer take land tours.
So, yes, I agree that it depends on the individual not on the number of birthdays.
I'm always puzzled/amused when people ask me on tour whether I'm alone and say how brave I am; I point out all the people around me. I've traveled on my own many times & seem to meet more people along the way. As a spoiled single, I have to adjust to not always being able to call the shots when traveling with others. So yes, it depends on the individual. That said, I don't think it's a bad idea for everyone to try solo (true solo, no TD) travel at some point.
Totally depends on how fit you are. On tour, you are not really a solo, you are with a group