Options

Where to go next? Looking for advice on Tauck trips

My husband and I have been on 4 Tauck trips and will be going on a 5th in March. We have also traveled on our own quite a bit (Greece, Italy, Costa Rica, the Baltics including St. Petersburg, Norway, Germany and England many years ago). We've also been to Japan and China (on business). But we are enjoying traveling with another couple who prefer to only travel with Tauck. We enjoy activity, history, culture, meeting local people. We need help on a lovely problem to have - where to go next? We've done the following with Tauck:
EXCEPTIONAL
Tanzania and Kenya
Israel and Jordan
REALLY GOOD
Peru and the Galapagos
ENJOYED
Blue Danube (had terrible weather)
ABOUT TO EXPERIENCE
Australia and New Zealand

I know there are many Tauck travelers who have been on 10, 20 even more Tauck trips. I'm interested to hear which ones, for you, were in your exceptional (not to be missed) category and why.

For anyone who has done Patagonia or Ultimate Alps - which category were they for you? At one point we considered Tauck's Iceland, but it seems ridiculously expensive compared to other Tauck trips (because Iceland is ridiculously expensive).

Comments

• Options
    CatLover8,

You are right - it's a wonderful problem to have! I would highly recommend the Croatia trip. We did it in 2017 and absolutely loved every minute of it. We have done 7 Tauck tours - which is nothing compared to a lot of Tauck devotees! After Kenya/Tanzania, Croatia is my second favorite trip. It is a great mix of activities - from truffle hunting to history lessons about the Balkan wars I don't have enough superlatives to describe it!
  • Options
    CatLover8: I have done a number of Tauck trips; my favorites were Vietnam & Thailand, Cuba, and Switzerland Crown Jewel of Europe. Also, their trips that include the Passion Play in Oberammergau (coming up in 2020) are wonderful if you would enjoy that kind of thing.
  • Options
    We are returning to K&T because we love Africa and the animals. That being said, we also have done the Zambia, Botswana, and South Africa trip ... which is about half safari and half touring. It is a wonderful trip, and would do the safari part in Botswana again, but we feel we do not need to revisit the places on the ‘tour’ part of the trip. If we had not done it before, we would certainly have that one on our list. Recommend late May or June for the weather and the water in the Zambizi and the Okavango delta.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I think you should think about what you liked about your previous tours. Are you more interested in geography/nature/animals, or history/architecture, or people/culture/art? That should at least help you narrow down your list.

So far it looks like you (or your traveling companions) lean towards geography/nature/ animals (K&T, P&G) with a sprinkling of history and culture (Israel & Jordan). I suggest Classic Italy; England, Scotland & Wales; Ultimate Alps & Dolomites (significant changes since we went on UA&D.) Also, if you are at all interested in the Passion Play in Oberammergau, you should hold off on the Ultimate Alps until 2020. Using your ranking, we would categorize UA&D as REALLY GOOD+ It had a mix of geography, history/architecture, and culture.

Also, don't forget to examine how much your TD affected your rankings- that can make a big difference.

We are still rookies, leaving on #9, Blue Danube in a bit over two months with #10 Botswana booked for 2019 (maybe another in between). We find it hard to rank our trips and don't always agree. Also, due to my previous point and the fact we had a fantastic guide who still measures up to the best ones since, trying to compare other trips to our first Tauck trip - England, Scotland & Wales- is like a first girlfriend or boyfriend- it will always be our favorite or at least one of the best, ever. We both agree which was our least favorite- because of a large group (a few people with issues) and the TD. When available we choose small group departures. Also, like many, you may find you can't visit Africa just once! Just ask British, our 'African Queen,' and some of the other forum regulars. : )

You might also want to consider interspersing big/exotic tours with smaller Stateside tours.

E,S,W (EX+)
    UA&D (RG+)
    Hidden Gems of NE (EN)
    K&T (EX+)
    Classic Italy (EX)
    Best of Ireland (RG+)
    P&G (EX)
    Romantic Germany (RG+)
    Blue Danube (TBD)
    B,SA,Z (TBD)
  • Options
    There is no way I could truly rank all our tours with Tauck because as Alan says, we take different ones for different reasons. We leave for the Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos tour in a couple of weeks, do Iceland in July and Patagonia in November, oh and a US one in September. Altogether we have 6 booked upcoming tours with Tauck. AND WE HAVE BOOKED OUR FIRST RIVERBOAT TOUR! Re Iceland. I feel it is more economical to do the tour wit hTauck because of the price of food and drink alone in Iceland.
  • Options
    Cat Lover—-We have been on 7 Tauck trips and getting ready to go in April on Holland and Belgium in the Spring to see the tulips. We are also on the list for advance notification for Switzerland, Crown Jewel for 2019. You specifically asked about Patagonia. Of all our trips, it ranks as my next
    to least favorite. Go to the Patagonia forum and read my review of the trip for details. The glaciers were beautiful, but they were a very small part of the trip. Since you have been to Norway, you might be disappointed. I thought the rest of the trip was not particularly interesting.
    I may be mentioning the obvious, but if you have not been to Alaska, do consider the Tauck Alaska Grand Adventure—2 weeks, one on land and one cruising. It is my husband’s favorite trip of all, and I loved it too. Tauck did a fabulous job. Or Wild Alaska, 9 days just on land (think bear watching and sailing in the bay looking for whales) if you have already done the cruise thing.
    We like to do a mixture of trips, some more oriented toward nature and wildlife, some more cultural and historical. He likes the great outdoors, I like
    castles and cathedrals. We have found that we prefer land travel and riverboat cruising to ocean cruising. One thing for sure, we always go on
    small group trips.
    Happy travels, wherever you go.
    Nancy (Dixie Chick)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    We have completed 5 Tauck Trips (Grand Australia & New Zealand, Best of Hawaii, Grand Tetons & Yellowstone, The Blue Danube Prague to Budapest, and South Africa-An Elegant Adventure) and they were all extremely well done. We enjoyed each one for similar and quite different experiences including the scenery, history, culture, wildlife, food, wine, and fellowship with fellow travelers.

We have 3 trips booked now. In 2018 it will be a River Cruise from Amsterdam to Brussels at Tulip Time, and in August the Grand Canadian Rockies. In January 2019 we're booked to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

Our bucket list seems to grow longer and we hope that one day we'll meet some of you frequent travelers and Forum bloggers.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    There is no way I could truly rank all our tours with Tauck because as Alan says, we take different ones for different reasons. We leave for the Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos tour in a couple of weeks, do Iceland in July and Patagonia in November, oh and a US one in September. Altogether we have 6 booked upcoming tours with Tauck. AND WE HAVE BOOKED OUR FIRST RIVERBOAT TOUR! Re Iceland. I feel it is more economical to do the tour wit hTauck because of the price of food and drink alone in Iceland.

Which river cruise?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ah Claudia, knew you would be curious. We booked Rhine Enchantmemt that begins in Milan. Did not consult your past posts for cabin choice so hope we have booked one that is going to be a good location. We liked the idea of Milan and Lake Como and will spend three day extra in Amsterdam, we have not been there for twenty five years.
  • Options
    I'm sure it will be fine. If not there is always the sun deck or lounge to hang out in. Hope you have great weather. Will be interesting to read your review after.
  • Options
    First of all, a big thank you to everyone who replied. You've given me lots to think about.

Loves2Travel2 - we stopped in Croatia twice while on a cruise. It was lovely. Was Tauck's trip a cruise that made a lot of stops or do they also have a land tour?

smarks50- yes, the Passion Play in Oberammergau has appeal.

Sealord - I think Zamibia, Botswana and South Africa have to go on the to do list. Africa was just wonderful. Like you, I could watch animals all day long (and photograph them too).

AlanS - Our friends just did ESW and we did a thorough Italy on our own. I wish I had known about Tauck's Classic Italy first. Everyone says it is fantastic and I am sure it is. UA&D is on my list. I'll look into Romantic Germany, although I have seen a lot of Germany through work trips and other trips. I'll be very interested to hear your review of B,SA,Z. We haven't done small group tours, but I think we might start. I can see the value in that. One of the hardest things about Blue Danube is that there were 120 people with 3 TDs. You would be on a bus or broken up into 40 people. No real lasting connections with any of the TDs, so yes, that does influence.

British - I will eagerly await your reviews of Patagonia, Iceland and V,C,L. How wonderful that you have 6 tours already booked. Enjoy!!! Do you have a top 10 list or top 20? How many have you done? Lucky, lucky you.

Dixie Chick - I will go read your review of Patagonia. We have done Alaska 3 times, including land tour and cruises. Need I say more? It is fabulous. Thanks for the tip on small groups.

AshvEd - I'll look forward to your V,C,L review!

Claudia - can you give me a list of your top 5? or top 10?

• Options
    Catlover8
    For shear beauty, it's hard to beat Belgium and Holland at Tulip Time. Keukenhof Gardens is unbelievably breathtaking! The rest of the trip was great too, but Keukenhof was definitely the highlight. We adored Classic Italy, but I see that Italy is on your list of places you've been. We've been on 5 Tauck tours plus lots with other companies, and one of our all time favorites of all 25 or so is Tauck's tour to Warsaw, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, and Prague. The history and beauty of these cities is unbelievable. We highly recommend it!
  • Options
    Hello Catlover I think we are in our mid-twenties with our number of Tauck tours, I say this because when we were still counting, Tauck seemed to count fewer tours than we think we have taken with them, so maybe they were not keeping records when we took our first tours with them. Several of the tours and ones we really enjoyed are no longer on their active tour list, such a shame because we really enjoyed those.
    Clearly, we love Africa and have taken four of our five trips to Africa with Tauck.
    One of my favorite countries is Japan, I have been twice but not with Tauck, but when my husband also used to travel frequently for business, he could even speak great Japanese at the time. I really want to go again on a Tauck tour but I have not been impressed by their Japan itinerary though I know they have tweaked it quite a bit.
    I have a different opinion about the small group experience, we recently took a tour with just 13 people and only one other married couple like us, they did not mix much with anyone. On another Tauck Africa tour of 16 I think it was, again there was only one other married couple, two bigger groups and I think two singles. Our upcoming tour to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos is a small group but because the date was when we wanted to go. For our China tour the date we wanted was small group so we changed it to a normal size group. Unlike some who have mentioned about having more time with the tour director in a small group, we have always had plenty of interaction with our tour guides and made good friends of them. On the other hand, we do not tend to bother the tour director with trivial stuff and dominate time with them, which can happen with a group, big or small. We sometimes feel bad for the situations they have to deal with by some clients.
    The reason we have so many tours booked in advance is that The tours fill up way more quickly than they used to and we do not want to be disappointed. When we booked a tour for 2019 the other day, the Rep said there were no definite plans to even give the ‘Gift of Time’ yet for 2019.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I have done 36 Tauck tours to date with 5 more coming up this year; all of them have been in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. I have enjoyed all of them, but especially the two winter tours: Winter in Yellowstone and the polar bears in Churchill (Canada). Tauck offers the Yellowstone winter tour only in January and February. I took it around six years ago; got there a day early and helped to mush a 14 dogsled team throughout the Absaroka Mts all day long, then passed up the last day of the tour in Jackson Hole, Wyoming to join with 7 other folks each with our own snowmobile to snowmobile 100 miles all day long, half the time in a blizzard, throughout Yellowstone. I have never repeated any tour, but that Yellowstone in Winter tour itself was excellent (the dogsled mushing and snowmobile riding was outside of the Tauck tour itself but by going on that tour. Tauck put me in a position to have that amazing adventure.)
  • Options
    For catlover8,

We've only taken 3 river cruises with Tauck and 1 land tour. Booked for Ireland in June.

Of the 3 cruises the Rhône has been our favorite. It was our first so everything new to us. The routine, the little Tauck surprises, etc. We had pretty good weather - too cool for sunbathing on the deck ( if there had been time to) but pleasant for walking around. But mostly because so many of the stops you could walk right off the boat without bus time. Our only neg was that we didn't give ourselves enough time in Paris and would have liked more river time like adding one of the tours that includes the Soane.

We had a great land tour last jun -England, Scotland, Wales. Was impressed by how smoothly the hotel changes went. That's part of why we booked Ireland for this year instead of the Danube although we may do that eventually. 2019 will either be Danube or Scotland small ship if Tauck goes through with plans for that.

The Rhine/Moselle was a good tour though we did it in Oct which I would not recommend. Cool, wet and short days. Also pretty much all bus to sites. The only positive was the fall colors were beautiful. We enjoyed Heidelberg and Strauss berg the best.

The Seine in jun was nice. We used GoT at Versailles so extra time to explore. Giverny was amazing. Some nice daylight sailing. Its a prettier river I think than most of the Rhine.

Good luck picking your next tour.

• Options
    British—-You are a definately a seasoned Tauck traveler and we appreciate your comments. Two of our five trips have been small group (Hawaii and S. Africa) and we have enjoyed the small group experience. It’s been all couples on both trips except for one single person on our S. Africa trip and a family of four. We have enjoyed the small group travel so much that two of the three future trips we have booked are small group, and the one that isn’t is a river cruise. Small group travel seems to be a good fit for us and we’ll continue to book them until it stops working. It’s nice that Tauck offers several group size options to meet the needs of a variety of travelers. Life is good!
  • Options
    Hi Catlover8,
    I have enjoyed reading the many responses to your original post. We are about to embark on number 16 and 17, and I think we have had a variety of international experiences (we do the domestic trips on our own...although, always checking the Tauck accommodations and activities for ideas). We loved Classic Italy, our first Tauck tour in 2000. In fact, we liked it so much we took our sons, post-college, on that same trip a few years later. We have done a number of European trips, some no longer offered. The Paradors of Northern Spain and Romantic Germany were both great and very enlightening. There was a Southern France that was wonderful but no longer offered. I suspect it has been replaced with a river trip of some sort. The Grand Australia/New Zealand tour was our favorite until others kept replacing it as number one! We loved the spiritual and mystical part of Machu Picchu and the wonderful snorkeling in the Galapagos! A Treasures of the Aegean tour included Greece and Turkey, and our time on the Windstar was wonderful, although, we are not patient cruisers. Sadly, that trip is no longer offered. We loved Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and spending time in Hong Kong after the trip was wonderful. We, too, loved Kenya and Tanzania, perhaps our favorite. We met two couples on that trip who highly recommended India, and we then took the Portrait of India trip. It was outstanding, my number two trip! My husband was not enthusiastic but ended up loving the experience. I thing we liked the Portrait trip, as opposed to the shorter trip, as it took us to Southern India which was such a contrast to the northern part. Last year we took the Land of the Rising Sun, and while I was highly critical of the organization of the trip, I loved the itinerary and the activities. Part of it is on a smaller ship, but many of the places you visit are more accessible via small ship, so it's a trade-off.
    When we first started traveling with Tauck, they were just beginning their European trips, and they were land trips. Now there are so many options, I can understand why it is difficult to choose new trips. We love traveling with Tauck, but it is getting harder and harder to make choices. Hopefully, the respondents on the Forum have given you some food for thought and helped to direct you to some trips that will fit your travel needs!
  • Options
    Cat Lover—-We have been on 7 Tauck trips and getting ready to go in April on Holland and Belgium in the Spring to see the tulips. We are also on the list for advance notification for Switzerland, Crown Jewel for 2019. You specifically asked about Patagonia. Of all our trips, it ranks as my next
    to least favorite. Go to the Patagonia forum and read my review of the trip for details. The glaciers were beautiful, but they were a very small part of the trip. Since you have been to Norway, you might be disappointed. I thought the rest of the trip was not particularly interesting.
    I may be mentioning the obvious, but if you have not been to Alaska, do consider the Tauck Alaska Grand Adventure—2 weeks, one on land and one cruising. It is my husband’s favorite trip of all, and I loved it too. Tauck did a fabulous job. Or Wild Alaska, 9 days just on land (think bear watching and sailing in the bay looking for whales) if you have already done the cruise thing.
    We like to do a mixture of trips, some more oriented toward nature and wildlife, some more cultural and historical. He likes the great outdoors, I like
    castles and cathedrals. We have found that we prefer land travel and riverboat cruising to ocean cruising. One thing for sure, we always go on
    small group trips.
    Happy travels, wherever you go.
    Nancy (Dixie Chick)

Dixie Chick - I tried to find your Patagonia review, but I couldn't. Can you copy and past to this discussion thread? Also, what other Tauck tours have you been on?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    No longer offered, maybe someday, again?????

How many wish Tauck could, would start running the old Egypt and Jordan, Timeless Treasures, Ancient Lands- especially with the new museum and recent discoveries?!?! If it could only be done safely! I know a few operators are still running tours there. Maybe just stay away from the lower Sinai?
  • Options
    Alan -- I wish Tauck would offer that Egypt/Jordan tour again. I was determined to cross "sail down the Nile" off my bucket list, and because Tauck no longer offered the tour, I booked Egypt with another company (and had a fantastic experience). I also was really disappointed when Tauck cancelled the Turkey trip that I had booked in 2016. I do understand the liability issues, but would be willing to sign a waiver. The chances of anything happening to a specific person on a specific date are pretty small.
  • Options
    Hi Catlover
    I do not know how to copy and paste, but I can tell you how to find the Patagonia posts. There are two from me.
    Go to the thread called Highlights, begun by Mike and Deb, Sunday, March 23, 2014. Look at post #7 dated Monday, December, 15, by Dixie Chick.
    Also look at the thread for Santiago vs. Buenos Aires for gift of time. Start with Ken from Vegas’s post dated February 26, 2015. I agree with what he said about the gaucho event and Tango dinner on same day. The amount of food was obscene at the gaucho event. Good, but way, way too much. We could not enjoy the really elegant and delicious dinner that evening because we were too tired from a long day and virtually comatose from pigging out on the BBQ picnic.
    Then go to post #2,by me, dated February 25, 2015, for the long review.

We started our Tauck trips with the 1)Canadian rockies and Glacier National Park. Both hubby and I loved it. That one was a regular size tour. The next trip 2)was a small group to Capital Cities of Eastern Canada. That was our least favorite trip of all, per both of us. Except for Niagara Falls, it was only ho hum. Besides, the TD was the worst of all that we have had. 3)Grand Alaska was next—-super fabulous per both of us. 4) Next we made our first trip across the pond to France for Paris, Loire Valley, and Normandy. I had almost died and gone to la belle Heaven with all those castles, cathedrals, wine, Impressionist art, and fabulous food. John really liked it because it was his first trip to Europe and because of Normandy. That’s the reason every man on the trip wanted to go. It is probably my favorite trip of all. And I speak French. 5) Patagonia was next. Need I say more? 6)Italy was next—-Italian Lakes, Venice, Florence, Rome. More art, culture, food, lots of wine, great travel companions. We both loved this. Sort of tied with France.
    For the next trip we brached out to the river to do the 7) Blue Danube with Tauck. Again, we both adored this trip.
    Last summer we did a Baltic cruise with Regent and had a fabulous time. Fabulous ship, elegant service, food, etc. We will definitely sail with Rege t the next time we do an ocean cruise.
    The next trip will happen soon, 8) Belgium and Holland in the Spring, sailing April 14. It is all about the tulips, and I can hardly wait.
    On the wish lish for 2019 is Switzerland, Crown Jewel of Europe.
    We are faithful Tauck travelers, wouldn’t go any other way for land tours.
    Best wishes.
    Nancy
  • Options
    Hi Catlover
    I do not know how to copy and paste, but I can tell you how to find the Patagonia posts. There are two from me.
    Go to the thread called Highlights, begun by Mike and Deb, Sunday, March 23, 2014. Look at post #7 dated Monday, December, 15, by Dixie Chick.
    Also look at the thread for Santiago vs. Buenos Aires for gift of time. Start with Ken from Vegas’s post dated February 26, 2015. I agree with what he said about the gaucho event and Tango dinner on same day. The amount of food was obscene at the gaucho event. Good, but way, way too much. We could not enjoy the really elegant and delicious dinner that evening because we were too tired from a long day and virtually comatose from pigging out on the BBQ picnic.
    Then go to post #2,by me, dated February 25, 2015, for the long review.

We started our Tauck trips with the 1)Canadian rockies and Glacier National Park. Both hubby and I loved it. That one was a regular size tour. The next trip 2)was a small group to Capital Cities of Eastern Canada. That was our least favorite trip of all, per both of us. Except for Niagara Falls, it was only ho hum. Besides, the TD was the worst of all that we have had. 3)Grand Alaska was next—-super fabulous per both of us. 4) Next we made our first trip across the pond to France for Paris, Loire Valley, and Normandy. I had almost died and gone to la belle Heaven with all those castles, cathedrals, wine, Impressionist art, and fabulous food. John really liked it because it was his first trip to Europe and because of Normandy. That’s the reason every man on the trip wanted to go. It is probably my favorite trip of all. And I speak French. 5) Patagonia was next. Need I say more? 6)Italy was next—-Italian Lakes, Venice, Florence, Rome. More art, culture, food, lots of wine, great travel companions. We both loved this. Sort of tied with France.
    For the next trip we brached out to the river to do the 7) Blue Danube with Tauck. Again, we both adored this trip.
    Last summer we did a Baltic cruise with Regent and had a fabulous time. Fabulous ship, elegant service, food, etc. We will definitely sail with Rege t the next time we do an ocean cruise.
    The next trip will happen soon, 8) Belgium and Holland in the Spring, sailing April 14. It is all about the tulips, and I can hardly wait.
    On the wish lish for 2019 is Switzerland, Crown Jewel of Europe.
    We are faithful Tauck travelers, wouldn’t go any other way for land tours.
    Best wishes.
    Nancy

Hi Dixie Chick, I was able to go back and read your review despite the disappearing region forums. We are taking the Patagonia tour in November. I do have friend who went there with another company and loved it. But having read the places you have visited with Tauck, I realize why the traveling regime you had may have been a shock. Many of the tours that have vast areas to cover have to start days early so that more territory can be covered. Especially with such beautiful scenery I quite enjoy time on the bus. We know that the scenery is not all glaciers, we know that part of the planet is sort of high arid desert so the scenery you describe is one of the attractions for us. We hope we will not be disappointed. We will heed your warning about the gaucho BBQ. And if I find i do not take enough warm clothing Mr B says I can cozy up to a nice young gaucho! I must admit I have never ever had to wear as many clothes as you mention. I have been out walking this morning wearing a long sleeve T-shirt and a cheap thin down coat in 32 degrees F temps. Though there was not much wind. I rarely wear more than this unless it gets to maybe 10 degrees, but of course I wear hat and gloves. Do I really need so many layers, what were temps when you were there?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    British - After your Patagonia trip, please post your comments. I'll be on the Dec. '18 trip there.

OP - I don't think it's been mentioned, but another worthwhile trip is China. While I hate China for their politics, human rights violations, and how they are destroying our planet with their soft coal fueled power plants spewing unbelievable pollution, it was worth visiting. It's simply amazing how far they have advanced into the first world, with the world's second tallest building and world's fastest train in Shanghai, yet they remain third world in that there is no potable water anywhere in the country.

I was there with Tauck in 10/17, their last trip of the season. I recommend this time of year if you don't like hot, humid weather. In northern China, the temps were similar to the northern US (50s-60s) and in southern China (Guilin and HK) it was shorts weather. It only rained for one afternoon our entire trip, the downside of which was the smog lingered in the air to the point where several tour members, myself included, wore a mask most of the time we were outdoors.
  • Options
    Ok BKMD. We are going to China in October 2019, we booked it recently but can’t remember the exact dates and there are no full details on the website yet. We have just been discussing our options for how to fly there this morning. My husband likes Cathay Pacific, he used to travel on that airline a lot in the past.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    British - FWIW, I flew American (biz class) via DFW in both directions. For me, it was the best option in terms of price, time and connections. Layovers were under 2 hours each way. Just the one stop each way. Turns out there were two other couples on our tour on the same flight, sitting across the aisle. No complaints about the flights, other than my bag not making it to the connecting flight on the way home, after going thru customs in Dallas. They delivered it the next morning. At least it was on the way home. And they're very efficient notifying you about misplaced bags - I had an email waiting for me when we landed in Denver that the bag was delayed, so I went right to the baggage office and didn't have to watch the carousel go round and round, looking for my bag :-)
  • Options
    I flew on Air Canada from Boston to Beijing (with a stop in Toronto --nonstop from there) business class and highly recommend it. Of course, it makes no sense to go out of your way to stop in Canada. (I do check what Tauck has to offer for airfare, but generally have found it cheaper to book on my own.)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    China was simply wonderful. We went in mid October 2017 and the smog wasn’t bad anywhere except Xi’an where the Terra-cotta Warriors are. I couldn’t wait to leave there. It was hot throughout the trip, though. That might be why the smog wasn’t so bad. I’ve heard that it’s worse once it gets colder. We still talk about how much we liked the people and the country. You have to turn a blind ear to some of the ‘everything is great and better than before’ commentary from the guides. But really, the people were delightful and fun loving, and everything we saw and experienced was fabulous. And, oh the food! Highly recommend.

We flew business on Cathay Pacific over the North Pole and it was wonderful. We did have to stop in Hong Kong, but the layover wasn’t long at all.
  • Options
    Ah yes, that is partly why my husband liked Cathay, he used to have to stay in Hong Kong overnight which was included in the ticket price. He remembers when there were no buildings at the top of the peak and loved to go up and see the view. He has always wanted to take me there. So we plan to stop off on the way for a couple of days before going on to China and then the tour ends in Hong Kong too so we would do return flights to HK with China being a side trip. Gives us a couple of days to help with jet lag and gentle site seeing before the tour begins, we always enjoy the tours better that way and having time to get over jet lag is my best tip for any Tauck tour that involves big time changes.
  • Options
    Tauck’s hotel in HK was on Hong Kong Island for our tour and I think it was the first time they’d done that. Usually they stay on the other side where all the shopping is, but the views from the hotel were breathtaking and it was a lot of fun to watch all the shipping activity during the day. The ferry to the other side was fun as well. I can’t say I was thrilled with HK. HK island was undergoing a lot of road construction and the island was rather overbuilt, IMHO. I imagine when your husband was there, British, it was absolutely lovely.
  • Options
    CatLover8 wrote:
    My husband and I have been on 4 Tauck trips and will be going on a 5th in March. We have also traveled on our own quite a bit (Greece, Italy, Costa Rica, the Baltics including St. Petersburg, Norway, Germany and England many years ago). We've also been to Japan and China (on business). But we are enjoying traveling with another couple who prefer to only travel with Tauck. We enjoy activity, history, culture, meeting local people. We need help on a lovely problem to have - where to go next? We've done the following with Tauck:
    EXCEPTIONAL
    Tanzania and Kenya
    Israel and Jordan
    REALLY GOOD
    Peru and the Galapagos
    ENJOYED
    Blue Danube (had terrible weather)
    ABOUT TO EXPERIENCE
    Australia and New Zealand

I know there are many Tauck travelers who have been on 10, 20 even more Tauck trips. I'm interested to hear which ones, for you, were in your exceptional (not to be missed) category and why.

For anyone who has done Patagonia or Ultimate Alps - which category were they for you? At one point we considered Tauck's Iceland, but it seems ridiculously expensive compared to other Tauck trips (because Iceland is ridiculously expensive).

REPLY: I think the above was from CatLover8. I have a question:
    I wondered if the weather was the main problem with the Danube trip. What month did you go? We're doing
    Danube Reflections in May. I think that might be a rainy season. :-( Thanks for info. MaryWills
    [/b]