Who Will Get The Vaccine?

I saw an interesting article in the Tucson newspaper this morning. It raises the question of who will get the vaccine when it becomes available. From a worldwide perspective, the US being a wealthy country, the article implies we will be in good shape. Within the US is the question? Do people think that Americans that avoid other vaccinations and flu shots will also avoid the coronavirus vaccination? Anyway I thought I'd pass this along.

Comments

• I'll get it after its widely available and after I get my knee surgery (hopefully this winter). Not an antivaxer at all but had a weird reaction to the shingles vaccine last winter that's left me with an autoimmune disorder I'm still dealing with. Can't get my surgery til I'm off the meds for that. So I figure by early summer I'll be ready for the covid vacine. Fingers crossed the world is in a much better place by then.

• I'm hopeful that by early next summer the world will be well on its way to being vaccinated. Unfortunately, I doubt the "second and third" world places that a lot of Tauck tours take us (Africa) will be very far along the vaccination journey by then. Perhaps it might be prudent to delay tours to those places and resume touring in more "first" world (richer) countries, that in theory will be farther along the vaccination curve.

It's true isn't it, that even if we've all been vaccinated but we travel to areas that are still "hotbeds" for the virus, not having done much vaccinating yet, that we still would run a higher risk of getting the virus? The vaccines won't be 100% preventive, true?

• edited August 2020

I still think people like us will be way down the list of priority. Still think next summer will be when it is first ready at the earliest. Most of us are older, so we will likely need two doses, sometimes those have to be several months apart.
    The newspapers article you had, I ready on the BBC Website.

• This is part of the article about the Virus outbreak in Norway, at the end it mentions a Ponant ship!

And while the industry has restarted in recent weeks, there have already been setbacks.
    A crew member on a ship in the Pacific tested positive for the virus on Sunday. The Paul Gauguin was forced to suspend its journey when the case was detected by the ship's doctor, local media report.
    Passengers were told to stay in their cabins as the ship turned back to Papeete on the island of Tahiti, where all on board are being tested.
    Ahead of resuming operations, Ponant, the company that runs the Paul Gauguin, had reassured customers in a blog post that it had strict regulations in place that "go further than the international standards for the sector".

• Do people think that Americans that avoid other vaccinations and flu shots will also avoid the coronavirus vaccination?

I vote yes.

Sam - somebody must think you own a vaccine company, as you got a spam flag :)

• I guess the anonymous flagger thinks spam is anything they don't like. They're obviously operating on their own internal rule set the rest of us aren't privileged to see or have a say in.

• I'll definitely get it. Just wanna get my knee fixed so I can enjoy traveling if and when traveling can occur post-vaccine. If I have the vaccine but no new knew, traveling will be difficult. Some people are saying they won't get it because of the usual anti-vax ideas or because of conspiracy theories. I can sympathize if it's because they feel the rush to develop a vaccine means it might not be safe.

I just sent a private message to Tauck Tim about the flagger. That person(s) wants to flag abuse but their actions are becoming abusive in themselves. So much easier to be a bully if you're anonymous.

• I hate to add more negatives to this thread but I was reading an article in the Washington Post today saying there is probably going to be a long road ahead even if and when a vaccine is available.
    The link above will take you to the article.

• JohnS, an excellent article everyone should read. I’ve been negative so much about travel, virus and vaccine etc all this time on the forum because Mr. B spent most of his entire working life on Drug development. I have learned so much from him over the years and within my own working life about things like random controlled trials, compliance, adverse reactions etc etc It takes years to develop a drug or vaccine, years, the trials take years, you have to have allow a certain amount of time to go by to check for safety and effectiveness. Indeed, it’s even more of a risk with vaccines because you are giving a perfectly healthy person something that could do them harm, not like an ill person receiving a drug or injection to make them better. I’ve seem my hubby work on a drug for maybe ten years and see the triumph On his face when he finally gets the FDA to approve the drug, or the disappointment when after the various trial phases when a promising looking drug fails to meet the hopes everyone has about it.
    So I apologized for annoying people all these months for my gloom, I want to feel hope like everyone else here, but it’s harder for me. So next time you moan at the price of a drug and those ‘greedy’ drug companies, think about the years they spend trying to make life better for you.
    We are really frightened that come the end of October, someone might insist a vaccine is pushed out onto the public when it has not been fully seen to work or be safe.

• I’ve never had a flu shot and never had the flu at 68. But yeah I’ll get this one for sure.

• edited August 2020

If you have a Covid test, it needs to be taken about three days before you go at the most. A negative test for Covid now is useless for a tour in December.
    Cathy, I’m obviously the opposite to you, I’m totally pessimistic about travel for the foreseeable future. Anything else, I’m usually the bright and funny one. I would love to take a break in The Caribbean in January or February,we used to do that before we were able to squeeze in two Tauck tours a year. Our favorite area is the BVI. St Kitts was our second best but too much construction has cut off the best beaches and scenery.

• We discovered a couple days ago that if you go to the Emergency Room (CA) you can have your covid test results before you walk out the door. My wife had some chest discomfort and a “fever” of 97.4 ... she is normally lower than that, but felt she needed to be checked out.

• Testing is different everywhere. Albuquerque got to the point it was easy to get a test but you have to have symptoms - at least at any of the three major hospital systems. Turn around time is different all over the state.

• If the distribution of vaccine follows the practice of testing, the first to receive the vaccine will be professional athletes.

• I think the first to get the vaccine will be retired military pilots, and retired airline pilots over the age of 74 and anyone who lives in the same house. (;-) Really, only kidding. I think the caregivers will be first, and the most vulnerable will follow. Or it could just be like the new shingles vaccine ... you sign up and get on a wait list. For us it took five or six months to get the two vaccinations.

• We got the improved Shingles shot as soon as it became available. We found our arms were very sore to the touch for a couple of days.
    Our Pharmacist has already contacted us to ask if we want them to save Flu shots for us this year because there will be high demand. We usually get our shots in September so don’t forget to go early

• I was in my local Target yesterday, and as I walked by the pharmacy, noticed someone getting a flu shot. Generally, it's recommended in October. Too early and it loses effectiveness by late winter.

• BKMD I doubt your statement but I’m not a Dr.

• Cathy, oh dear, you could pick up chicken pox in a third world county or being around some of those anti vaccine people and then get Shingles. My son got chicken pox before he was old enough to get the vaccine but it was extremely mild because he was being exclusively breast fed and got my antibodies. Do you think you may have had a mild case? If you have not had it, Should you then get a chicken pox vaccine?

• I never had the mumps as a child (which was before a vaccine was available), but broke out with them the day before I was supposed to be married. Childhood illnesses as an adult are no fun!

• British
    7:13AM
    BKMD I doubt your statement but I’m not a Dr.

From https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm (bolding added by me)::

When should I get vaccinated?
    You should get a flu vaccine before flu viruses begins spreading in your community, since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against flu. Make plans to get vaccinated early in fall, before flu season begins. CDC recommends that people get a flu vaccine by the end of October. Getting vaccinated later, however, can still be beneficial and vaccination should continue to be offered throughout the flu season, even into January or later.

Getting vaccinated early (for example, in July or August) is likely to be associated with reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season, particularly among older adults.

• I was just born when my siblings came down with chicken pox. Doctor told my mom to go ahead and expose me. I had one mark on my back that may have been a pox so for years didn't know if I had it. Two years ago the doctor had me take the blood test to determine if I had had it and the test said yes so then they recommended the new shingrix vaccine. That's when I developed the immune disorder I'm currently fighting. No way to know if it's the virus or some additive in it that caused the reaction. Haven't taken the second dose and don't plan to. Yes, I know the risks of shingles.

• Claudia, did your Dr. report it as an adverse reaction to the CDC? It’s important things like this are known and documented in case it follows a pattern.
    BKMD, if you read further, the jury is out On this one. Some say, it’s important to get the shot, so better early than forget or to find it is unavailable, especially this year. Others say if you get it early then you are likely still protected from the previous year’s shot, especially if the flu virus is the same strain. I’m also aware that pharmacies want you to have them early To space out the rush. These past few years, we have had our shot In September because we are often on a Tauck tour after that. I think I’ve only had the flu once in my life, I think it was in my early thirties. I’m thinking if everyone is social distancing and wearing masks, washing hands, the flu season could pass by without many people getting it.

• British I have no idea if any of my doctors reported it. My primary care only sort of diagnosed my condition. Was actually an ER doc that did so then follow up with a rheumatologist. Not sure any of the three are convinced it's what did it but I am as the symptoms started right after the vaccine. Took weeks to fully develop and muddied by a separate issue with my bum knee.