Options

> USB Ports or Electric Outlets on buses <

edited April 2022 in General

I'm going on the Week in Scotland tour on June 5, 2022. Does anyone know if the coaches/buses have USB ports to charge cell phones? I take all of my photos using my iPhone now so battery life can be an issue. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options

You can buy small portable chargers for your iPhone. Some buses have USB ports and some do not.

• Options

Yes Cathy, many of the buses do but don't count on them. Sometimes they don't function. Nice when you have them. We too always bring backup portable chargers. There has been some concern about using public usb ports so we don't tend to use them to charge our phones. I either use a standard plug with my phone's fast charger or I use the portable charger. It can then be recharged with a usb or other electric outlet.

• Options
    edited April 2022

Take a look at this external charger - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GQS8R3N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's not too big or heavy but will charge your phone a couple of times. You should charge it at night, same as your phone.

It could keep two phones charged during the day.

• Options

What kind of genius would flag the above post?

• Options

Also, keep in mind that your phone battery will last longer if you turn off all the unneeded receivers and transmitters it contains - wifi, bluetooth, data, etc. The one "radio" you might want to keep on is GPS so your photos' metadata include location info.

• Options

@Claudia Sails - I carry in my bag a USB data blocker. It is an extension to your port or cable, which only uses the power pins in the connector, disconnecting the data pins so only charging can take place. It makes public USB ports safe for use.

• Options

Sevenseas, thanx. Sounds like a good solution. As said, I normally use my fast charger in part for security but mainly because it charges my phone so much faster. We only travel with smartphones and Kindles.

• Options
    edited April 2022

BSP51 Not sure what you mean by flag the above post Thanks seven seas, for the USB Data Blocker, I'm getting one to use when I charge.

• Options

Hi Cathy, I see you are fairly new to the forum. Several years ago, Tauck ‘improved’ the forum, by adding a number of icons at the bottom of people’s comments. You can see one is a little flag. If you click on it, the post will be flagged. You have the option to report it as spam or to just report it to Tauck. Once someone gets five flags for that post, it will disappear. It was supposed to be meant for spam or obscene posts and things like that, but certain people here will use it for anything they personally dislike or do not agree with. There used to be a ‘dislike’ options too, but that was also over used and Tauck removed it.

• Options

Cathy_B. I was referring to why would someone flag MikeHenderson’s post which was right above mine.

• Options

BSP51 OK Thanks, I thought they were flagging my original post. I'm new to this forum.

• Options

No Cathy, it wasn't a mistake. Just 1 or 2 people who routinely flag things for no reason the rest of us can figure out. Just ignore them. True problem posts - people attempting to advertise using this forum - get hit with 5 flags and go away.

• Options

If you inadvertently flag a post, you can remove it easily by flagging it again.