Options

110 volt available in the Adlon-Kempinski in Berlin

edited July 2022 in General

All of my electronics except one item runs on dual voltage. Is anyone familiar whether the Adlon-Kempinski hotel has 110 volt available. Or perhaps the hotel has adapters to lend?
I have a world universal plug adapter but do not want to get a 220 volt to 110 adapter.

TIA

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022

You would need a CONVERTER, not an adapter. They are very heavy. What electronic do you need that is not dual voltage, I can’t think of anything these days you might want to take that is not dual voltage. I think you mean an adapter to put your US style plug into that has the correct plug on it for the country you are in.

• Options

If the outlet is designed to accept plugs with US blade style prongs, then it likely supplies 120volts. Depending on your 120v device you might want to bring a small converter just in case. What it the device that only accepts 120v?

• Options

I stand corrected about the outlets in the hotel. My husband tells me they did have 120 outlets in the room. I did not know until AlanS and my husband just told me that if an US prong fits it is 120. Sure do learn a lot from these boards.

• Options
    edited July 2022

I'd suggest that if you plan on more international travel, you should replace the non-dual voltage device with a 110-240V 50/60Hz device. MOST of the world does not offer US-style 110V 60Hz power. Once all your devices are dual voltage, you'll only need to travel with a handful of plug adapters for the area you are visiting. Even when you find both 110V and 220V service (like on many/most cruise ships) you may have just a couple of 110V outlets which may not be conveniently placed for your needs.

• Options

A better suggestion- as Portolan says, get all dual voltage devices (or devices with dual voltage power cubes), but instead of a handful of plug adapters, just take one or two. Use one with one of these 120v/240v travel power strips. There are tons on Amazon. Most come with a short, self-stowing cord, 2 - 4 outlets, and many come with USB-A and USB-C sockets, so you can leave power modules at home.

• Options

I, too, use multi-outlet adapters, but I still take multiple plug adapters because I don't necessarily want the phones charging near camera batteries near Ereaders. Both capabilities are useful.

• Options

I have European to US style adapters, no problem there. I even have one which I have used in Europe, Russia, China, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. An all in one adapter. I also carry one of those small cheap 110volt 3 outlet power cubes I can plug into any 110 outlet and it makes 3 outlets.

I have also heard that some hotels may have a converter/adapter to loan.

But as Birder49 says the hotel has 110 volt outlet/s. Problem solved. I know the ship has 110 volt and 220 volt outlets on the Royal Danube Tour. In Cuba they have a dual sockets, for European and USA .

AlanS , my iCrap stuff is awfully finicky, use the wrong charger cord or power plug and it won't work.

Thx

• Options

At least two 110v outlets by the coffeemaker and five 220 v outlets in my room at the Kempinski.
    What a treat, at breakfast Champagne and caviar are included!

• Options

RGM2 - Be sure to try a meal, drink, or a dessert on the patio restaurant. It's a great place to relax and people watch.

• Options

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee.

That's not a mug of beer. THIS is a mug of beer: