laundry

Can anyone give me an idea of what it costs to do laundry? Is it a per piece type charge?

Comments

• Can you be more specific about what type of trip you are taking - River Cruise, Small Ship, Land Tour and where you are traveling. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some info if they have more specifics to work from.

• The last couple of cruises I've taken, they provided free, unlimited laundry service. I think it was because of Covid. One ship had a guest laundry on each deck, but they had closed it and provided the free service. This does not include dry cleaning.

Free, unlimited laundry is VERY nice.

• It depends entirely on the hotel you are staying in.

• First born male child.

• We just completed the Savoring France cruise on the Rhone. A short sleeved mens shirt was about 7 euros and a pair of jeans was about the same. No self laundry aboard the ms Emerald. We found the Vacplus detergent sheets from Amazon ($4.99) to be great at washing unmentionables in the sink.

• We just use shampoo or shower gel to wash our smalls

• My husband had laundry done for a few items on the Silver Origin - $20.16 for 2-3 pieces. Despite telling them about spots, the spots remained. Didn't notice until too late. We generally wash clothes out in the sink and now have a travel wardrobe that is easy care except for the dressiest stuff. Layering so sweat does not reach the outer garments also allows wearing items more than once, while an undershirt is washed easily and dries quickly.

• On one Silversea trip, I received a VIP upgrade that gave me premium Internet access and free laundry. If you're on a Silversea ship, you might ask about that and what it costs.

• We were on a mid-level cruise line about five years ago and we bought the optional laundry package for $100. It included one full bag of laundry per day at no additional cost. It was a nice bonus not to worry about washing undies and other items. 2 days before the cruise ended we put everything we had in the bags and came home with freshly cleaned and pressed laundry instead of having to do it when we got home.

• I finally came to my senses a few years ago: if you spend a lot of money to have a great travel experience...pay to have your laundry done! Whatever the cost, it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you've spent on the trip. And, it won't enhance your memories.

We'll be on the Oberoi Philae mid-way through our 12-day Jordan and Egypt trip next month which is perfect timing for laundry since we routinely pack everything for a week's trip.

This is one of the reasons we like all-inclusive trips/cruises. It's not that you don't pay for perks like laundry (now included on all Regent cruises, for example), it's that we don't think of doing it in the sink to save a few bucks.

Just my opinion on enjoying travel.

• Portolan - you make a good point, however, it still bothers me to pay outrageous "captive audience" prices for laundry. For the typical Tauck trip (10-14 days), I pack enough to avoid doing laundry. On two of my trips (Aus/NZ and China), which were closer to 3 weeks, I did have laundry done.

• Ditto BKMD with respect to laundry and tour duration. Two weeks or less pack enough to avoid doing laundry. More than two weeks do laundry once.

• We pack for a week and have the laundry done normally once on a Tauck trip. If on Windstar we pack less and do laundry every day. Our last trip, Rendezvous on the Rhine, we did laundry on the ship before getting off in Basel, eleven day trip, thirteen for us, and the total cost was fifty six Euros/dollars … twenty three each so to speak. Your choice … pack a lot or spend an extra twenty three bucks per person. It did kind of anoy me that I brought home two clean items that had been to the laundry. (;-)

• We bring our older "smalls" and throw them away. The rest we have cleaned. We typically have done two trips back to back so we try to get it done in the city we have our extra days in. And trowing away the smalls leaves room for the inevitable souvenirs.