Options

Points guy?

I see a lot of sites from The Points Guy. Has anyone had experience using them and would you recommend? I can’t understand what it is but know if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I’d like to know more. TIA

Comments

• Options

I may be in the minority here, but I have no clue who the Points Guy is. I recently stumbled upon a review of his pertaining to a transatlantic flight on a particular airline. His command of English composition was so poor that I could not continue reading his gibberish. This is merely my opinion.

• Options

The Points Guy is just a website which gives information about travel subjects. The main one being travel rewards programs like the ones airline and hotels provide. Also credit cards that might provide travel benefits. A wealth of information on "points" - how to maximize them, how to use them, etc. It also has lots of useful information like news articles on the travel industry, reviews of hotels and travel tips. I've "used" the site for information only and it does have some valuable info like the recent review they did and I posted about of the hotel Tauck uses in Rome. It's not a site for buying things and you don't have to sign up for anything. Just go to the site and read the topics that interest you. Or not.

FYI, there are a number of websites such as this that provide news, reviews, etc that are basically funded by advertising. Youtube videos are the same. You go there, look at the info, see the ads (or avoid as much as possible) and the advertisers pay them money based on how many people "traffic" went to the site.

• Options
    edited September 2023

We find her Points Guy extremely useful. He’s a great guy, often on the TV. He is 6 feet 7 inches tall, so he
    sure has some unique travel requirements when he travels. He’s recently become a father, so he is posting info about traveling with a young baby too. If his command of English is not good, it hasn’t done him any harm. He’s a millionaire. I recommend anyone to read his daily information.

• Options

The Points Guy has a lot of useful travel information and has probably the most well known travel rewards info websites. He covers the best ways to accumulate and efficiently use rewards/miles earned from credit cards, air travel, etc. Other similar sites include One Mile at a Time, Nerd Wallet, Thrifty Wallet, etc.

I find it requires a lot of time, effort, and patience, for sometimes little savings, and works best if you fly long distances frequently and have more time/routing flexibility than a typical Tauck traveler. It also seems his approach includes signing up for and holding multiple select and often high-fee, premium credit cards, or doing a lot of corporate travel using corporate credit cards for which you earn and get to keep the rewards (not all companies allow this).

• Options

Maybe it should be renamed " Extreme Pointing" kind of like the people into Extreme Couponing for grocery shopping.