Options

Belgium and Holland in the Spring

Anyone been on this river cruise?

Comments

• Options

Any tips for the Belgium Holland in sprin, Northbound River Cruise for April 2024. This is my first river cruise. And are there dressy nights?

• Options

Hi there! I took this cruise in May 2022, and it was lovely. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! This is your first river cruise, and hopefully not your last. The tour was great, but the views from the Dutch waterways are not nearly as scenic as other river cruises.

People usually clean up from the day and change into nicer clothes for dinner on the boat. Nothing fancy at all. There were two nights where we could dress up in dress/skirt/nice slacks for a dressier dinner. Wear what you like; I've worn a dress and other times I've just gone with slacks. It's all good. Here's a picture of one of the nights where the daily program stated that "You may want to dress up for tonight's festivities." We did dress up a little more than this for the dinner at The Hague. More dresses and many of the men wore sport coats that night.

The bike ride at Kinderdijk was easy and a nice change of pace.

I'd recommend watching The Monuments Men before you go. It's a great movie on its own, plus you'll see some of the pieces of art that are featured in the movie. It's on Netflix, Amazon, and others.

You'll have some free time here and there, so research before you go and formulate a plan for what you might like to see. I typically rely solely on Rick Steves' books and videos.

Please let me know of any other questions, and I'll see what I can do to help.

• Options

HooHeel? A house 'divided' - a Cavalier and a Blue Devil?

• Options

Not quite... It's a conflict within myself. I'm a Cavalier undergrad and Tar Heel post-grad. I felt a bit like a traitor and wore no Carolina blue. Ha! My DH is a double-Hoo because he liked UVA so much he decided to hang around for a couple more years. Good times.

• Options

Daughter went to UVA, son to Mary Wash- reverse from what many would guess. As we used to say, I went to a 'trade' school (USNA) :D:D (after I retired we moved from the big Wash (N. VA), to the "Original" (little) Washington, NC.

• Options

It's a small world. Great schools all around. And my dad is a retired Sailor. Good move you made. I'm in MD just north of DC; have a place in Emerald Isle. It's a different and wonderful world down there. -Julie.

• Options

Thanks, HooHeel for the information and picture. Another question, would you recommend getting euros before leaving US, or wait til you get to Brussels? And also can you use your credit card on the river boat, and through out the trip? Thanks

• Options

While it would be one less thing to do upon arrival, I have never gotten Euros before traveling. It's usually pretty easy to find a bank ATM for a few Euros once I get there. You won't need much cash at all. I use my credit card for nearly everything. There's no need for money on the boat really since all the food & drink and tips are included in the cost of the tour. Maybe if you get a massage--I've never done that on the boat--then you'd probably want something for a tip. I bought something from the gift shop once; that must have gone on my credit card.

Once when I was traveling without Tauck, someone told me that if we need to tip a tour guide or someone else, and have only dollars not to worry too much. Those folks in the tourist industry often know where to go to change those dollars you give them with the best exchange rates.

Do check your credit card and debit card fees before you go; some are better than others, and some want you to notify them of upcoming travel plans. I always take two credit cards and two debit cards, in case one doesn't work or one gets lost or stolen. I feel better with a backup.

• Options

I'm going on this one April 7th. Looking forward to it. When are you going?

• Options

LynnH, I hope you will report back on your trip.

• Options

I HAVE A QUESTION-GOING ON THE NORTHBOUND BELGUIM TO HOLLAND RIVERBOAT IN APRIL 2024 -WILL ARRIVE 3 DAYS EARLY TO BRUSSELS AND WANT TO TAKE A PRIVATE TOUR OF THE CITY BEFORE THE TAUCK TOUR BEGINS DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN EXCELLENT TOUR GUIDE THAT THEY WOULD RECOMMEND FOR THE DAY

• Options

Gottago, try Tours By Locals. I have also used Viator. Your hotel concierge might be of help as well. Have fun!

• Options

THANK YOU SANDY-I THOUGHT ABOUT VIATOR BUT HONESTLY DID NOT KNOW IF THEY WERE RELIABLE-SOME REVIEWS ARE GOOD OTHER NOT SO-I WAS HOPING THAT SOMEONE MAY HAVE USED A LOCAL GUIDE AND WOULD RECOMMEND SOMEONE THAT THEY ACTUALLY TOURED WITH. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH TOURS BY LOCALS I WILL CERTAINLY CONTACT THEM-THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE

• Options

Gotago, we have used Viator twice and were happy with them. They are a tour aggregator i.e. they don't run the tour so you need to read the details of what is offered, pick-up locations, and in particular the cancellation policy carefully.

Fyi, all caps posts are equivalent to yelling. Nobody likes being yelled at.

• Options

@gottago I used Viator in Ireland for the Book of Kells. The tour guide was very good and let us enjoy the library on our own and then met up with us again at the end for explanation. I'm looking at Tours by Locals and Viator for France in September. I booked the Van Gogh Museum through Viator for Amsterdam.

• Options

I have used both Viator and Tours by Locals, the later is mostly private tours and they have been wonderful, Viator has both private and group tours, I've only gone on the group tours with them usually small 4 to 6 people, guides for both companies have been excellent.