Options

Airports to avoid

All who have visited here have probably read about my disdain for terminal five at London Heathrow. At least for the time being you can add Miami International. The ‘AirTrain’ has been shut down since September due to minor cracking is some of the concrete support structure. This sounds like an in service repair item, but I’m not an engineer nor a Dade County (runs the airport) idiot. Making our connection from SXM to SFO thru MIA we walked for miles. Our traveling companions on a different flight were smarter … they stole an unoccupied golf cart to get to their gate in time for departure. With the AirTrain operating, doing an international connection thru MIA is challenging … minimum of two hours. Without the AirTrain, it is a place to avoid.

Comments

• Options

We experienced the same thing on our way to South America last October. We had 5-6 hours for our connection so it wasn't and issue and no doubt because we weren't time pressed an empty golf cart driver stopped and offered us a ride.

I think this condition may exist for a while.

• Options
    edited January 30

It is easier to enter the country as an illegal alien than to enter through MIA with a valid US passport, TSA pre-check, and Global Entry. At least as an illegal alien you don’t have to claim and re-check your luggage? And for what reason. They examined our luggage without us being present. Is there any logical reason for the check and re-check procedure? They will even break the TSA locks if the please.

• Options

The claim and re-check procedure is not unique to MIA in the states. DFW does it as well. I imagine all US airports do the same process in this regard. I’ve missed connecting flights in DFW due to this process. The bags took almost an hour to appear so that you could claim them and start the process rolling. Sometimes you can do the process in under an hour, while other times you can’t complete it in two hours.

• Options

Sealord
    2:41PM edited 2:56PM
    . . . Is there any logical reason for the check and re-check procedure? They will even break the TSA locks if the please.

They need more footage for the Nat Geo reality TV show "To Catch a Smuggler" :D:D:D

• Options
    edited January 30

Yes. It is the same in Chicago, and there you need to change terminals via train, then go through security again. It makes no sense. I have never seen customs examine the bags during this proces, so what is the point. They do occasionally check your luggage at some place out of sight, but they could do that without the claim and re-check procedure which would make the connection process much more simple and faster. In my view it is simply a stupid procedure. We did have a note in one of our bags that it had been checked … it was the bag with the dirty clothes and underwear. I hope they enjoyed the experience.

Someone may bring up the possibility of someone checking a bag and then not boarding the flight. We (the Captain) is always advised when that happens, and the bags are removed from the airplane. Your bags will sometimes go on a different airplane without your knowledge, but if you don’t show for your flight your bags will not be on ‘that’ airplane.

• Options

To echo thoughts here, we AVOID Heathrow at any cost! Also I despise JFK, especially on return flights. We live on west coast of Florida and will leave from Miami for many direct international flights. That is not as bad as connecting.

• Options

I used to avoid Heathrow at all costs, not only because the airport is horrible, but BA's planes (old, run down 747s) were awful. However, their new batch of A350s has a great biz class seat, with a door on the cubicle.

I guess I'll learn to like Heathrow, as my next flight thru there in May has a 7 hour layover :/

• Options

BKMD sounds like BA new A-350s with door mirrors Qatar Q-Suites...I hope the service and food is just as good. Safe Travels!

• Options
    edited March 1

We fly into Madrid, 3 hour layover and then to Naples.. 2 hour flight from Madrid to Naples on Iberia Express. Hopefuly that's not Iberia's equivalent to Spirit.

• Options

FrankAmanda - I have flown Iberia Airlines within Iberia without incident. Friendly and efficient service.