Options

Somebody Feed Phil

JohnS started a thread on a travel show called the Reluctant Traveler. I thought I'd do something similar.

Another fun travel show, Somebody Feed Phil, has just released Season 7 on Netflix. The star of the show, Phil, was the head writer on the show Everybody Loves Raymond. He is quite a character and the show is lighthearted. Over the course of the seven seasons the show has evolved some. In the early seasons, Phil would have a short video chat with his parents from wherever he was visiting and he'd have his Dad tell a joke. As expected they were Dad jokes, but they were fun. His Dad passed away so in the later seasons he video chats with comedian funs from his time in the entertainment industry and they tell a joke.

We watched the first two episodes. Number one was in Mumbai and the second was in Washington D.C. The show presents some of the sights of each city, but focuses on the cities 'Food Scene'. I find the show entertaining. If you enjoy the show, going back and watching old episodes would be worth it.

On the Washington D.C. episode the comedian is Norman Lear, who just passed away in December 2023 at the age of 100.

Comments

• Options

I was glad to see the show back. Not sure I'm ready to try brains in Mumbai.

• Options

Claudia, with respect to the brains, that was the first comment from my wife as well. :D

• Options

I remember as little girl in Cuba (7) my mom used to make brain fritters, I never had them, actually I was a terrible eater, very spoiled by my grandmother.

• Options

Well, if you ever want to try them I suggest when in Rome go here https://ristorantenino.it/home-english/. A Tuscan restaurant close to the Spanish Steps. White tablecloth place, stiff waiters, filled with well dressed men in their 60’s to. 70’s lunching with their stunning daughters in their 20’s. Quite a place!

• Options

Being the daughter of a butcher, I was fortunate to be exposed to organ meats at a very young age. Veal sweetbreads (thymus) were my favorite. Veal and calf brains were also a staple in our household. I was initially not a fan of beef liver until my father sliced them thinly and smothered them with red onions. Delicious! My father would be pleased to see the resurgence of such a humble profession.

• Options

My father was a furrier. Those were the days when women wore elegant furs, hats and gloves when they were going out.

• Options

And corsages!

• Options

And airlines used to treat people respectfully, and they dressed up for the flights, rather than being treated like cattle or sardines.