Options

Malaria Medication South Africa Kruger & Vic Falls

Hi All!
I am going on this trip in Mid JULY. (Africa's Winter)
Have those of you who've done this trip at this time taken Malaria Medication?
The only concern would be at Kruger National Park and Victoria Falls.
As it is Winter I would think Mosquitoes would not be a huge concern?
That said I would take and spray Mosquito repellant just as a precaution .
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2

There is no real winter in East Africa- temps are moderate all the time, even in summer due to the altitude, especially in Kenya and Tanzania. There were warm periods in Zambia (Vic Falls), Botswana, and even South Africa during their 'winter'. We haven't been on Elegant Adventure so haven't been to Kruger.

We don't do well taking Malarone, so I stopped mid-tour and didn't even take it on our second tour. My wife took something else and did better. In any case I would still treat your clothing with a product containing DEET like Sawyers and also treat exposed skin with lotion or wipes. Others may have their own opinion. There are plenty of posts about it in the various forum archives - K&T, B,SA,Z, etc. Just do a search.

• Options

We took this tour in August and did take malarone with no issues. And took it again for K & T. There were a lot of mosquitoes at Victoria Falls. Malarone should be taken on a full stomach.

• Options

On our last K&T many people were taking malarone at the beginning. By the mid-point of the safari everyone had stopped taking it except for one 23 year old woman. As our TD put it, ‘it’s not a matter of ‘if’ you will have a problem, it is ‘when’. We took it on our previous trips without a serious problem, but our luck ran out..

• Options

We took Malarone on KT with no issues. We will be visiting our International Travel Clinic in July in preparation for our September 13 Elegant Adventure tour and see what they recommend.

• Options

JanE - when we went the recommendation covered the two malaria areas, Kruger and Victoria Falls. So, we started the malarone two days before Kruger and continued until seven days after Victoria Falls, as advised.

• Options

Jan, we are on the September 13 South Africa trip as well. We are from San Diego area and going into London for three nights before Cape Town. I am gathering information on where to get our shots and apparently Costco and Walmart have travel clinics that will be considerably less expensive than travel clinics that are private. It looks like Kruger has a considerable mosquito problem. I’m also wondering if there are age guidelines on taking yellow fever injections, or typhoid. I’m not a big fan of shots, or even pills. Anyone that has information to share on this I am listening.

• Options
    milmil
    edited May 3

Stellie Hi!
    July will be here pretty soon. :)
    Please, if you are getting all the vaccines people normally do, don't do them all at once, start now so you won't feel sick.
    Regarding Malaria:
    I took it and I went in Sept.- If you Do , I will suggest to take it with dairy products, milk, yogurt etc... and preferable at breakfast time, some people have had nightmares or cannot sleep when taken at nighttime.
    I took it at breakfast time, no issues... of course my personal experience.
    But again, better ask a doctor.

P.D
    Hey, my friend ...Where are you???? You, the ghost that always comes up to comment about my replies.... :) maybe asleep?
    :):):)

• Options

Mil, we did as you suggested and will do again, that is eat a substantial breakfast including yogurt. Then, take the Malarone, and we never had a problem.

GailP, if you are over a certain age (65??) you can get a waiver for the yellow fever vaccine. My husband and I both got the vaccination at 68 with no reaction at all. Please talk with your physician or an international travel clinic for the best advice for your individual circumstance. We look forward to meeting you in September. It should be a fabulous tour.

• Options

@GailP519 you don't need a yellow fever vaccination to enter South Africa if you're coming from an area that doesn't have yellow fever. This includes the U.S.and Europe. The same is true for Zimbabwe. You enter Zimbabwe from South Africa which doesn't have yellow fever

• Options

Thank you for the replies. I have called Tauck & they don’t have “required” vaccines, but recommendations. We will probably go with the generic Malarone . Pricing varies all over the place, but much less thru Walmart Humana. See you there, Jan!

• Options

Any one take Doxycycline as opposed to Malarone? If so did you encounter any problems?
    Thank you!

• Options

I took Malarone and had to stop, my wife was prescribed Doxycycline and did not have any problems.

• Options

Hi, Stellie & GailP519! I would always defer to your physician but malaria is endemic in Kruger and Victoria Falls so we took Malarone and had no issues. We’ve taken it on multiple trips now - knock on wood, no side effects. I’d recommend taking it in the AM. Doxycycline is sometimes prescribed too if there are contraindications with other medications. With Malarone, you start 1-2 days before arriving in the endemic area and then you take it for seven days following departure from that area. With doxycycline, you have to continue taking it for about a month after leaving the endemic area. I do believe there tends to be fewer side effects with Doxy, but sun sensitivity is one of them. So you have to be vigilant with the sunscreen!

• Options

Buonviaggio,

Good to hear from you. Went to Cosco today ...my physician ordered both Malarone GENERIC (Atovaquone/Proguanil HCl 250-100 Mg Tablets) and Doxycycline Hyclate 100 Mg Capsules as I couldn't make up my mind!
    I have decided to do the Generic Malarone as I love the sun and don't want to deal with the sensitivity issues
    Thanks for you input! FIRST time going to Africa!
    Happy travels!

• Options

Hi, Stellie! I hear you - hopefully you’ll have smooth sailing with the Malarone! We were fine as were our friends who took it. You will LOVE Africa! The Elegant Adventure tour is such a spectacular one and a wonderful blend of history, culture, scenery and adventure! We saw so many great sights and wildlife! The safari vehicles are totally open so you have a clear view of everything and often get quite close to the animals. It’s almost surreal. The lodges were fantastic! Delicious food, relaxing atmosphere, welcoming staff. Have an amazing time!!! 🦁🦓🦛🦏🐘🦒🦬🐆🐊🐗🐒