Options

Teeny Tiny Duffel for Namibia

OGIO Duffel arrived. It is NOT on wheels.

Can also take a small soft sided back pack.

Excited for this tour!

Comments

• Options

Stellie, I like the duffel and think it is roomy enough for my needs. I do not, however, like the fact that it is too large for the airline’s overhead compartment. Since we do carry on only, we chose to put the duffel in a small roller carry on bag which we will then leave with Tauck in Windhoek after transferring our three safari shirts and three pairs of safari pants into the duffel. Should be fine. Being overweight is not cool when flying in those small bush planes. Enjoy your tour!

• Options

You too Sandy! Cheers!

• Options

I would be surprised if you got stopped with the Ogio Big Top. It is 45 ‘linear inches’, although the dimensions are not exactly as specified, AA’s limit is 45 linear inches. However, we have used the old Eagle Creek (non wheeled) duffels for years as carry on, and we have never been stopped, and it is slightly larger. We never stuff the thing, it’s a duffel so it is ‘crushable’ if it is not inflated like an aircraft tire.

• Options

Do you have the bag’s dimensions. I need to start figuring out how and what to pack based on the size. I normally travel with a rolling Eagle Creek duffel but am wondering how much smaller this bag will be.

• Options

Stellie, Hi.
    Hey dear when you received the Duffel did it had a letter saying anything about Namibia? of South Africa and Elegant Adventure? Apparently every tour has it's own/different types and since you are doing 2 back to back, the Tauck rep. wanted to know what the letter said.
    I called them because I need one with wheels- I have a Ulnar nerve injury, so I cannot carry/pull anything with my left arm.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks

• Options
    edited May 5

Mil,
    No letter from Tauck.
    I called them to verify that the duffel I was sent had no wheels. I also wanted to verify the dimensions of duffel.
    They need to change "Rolling
    duffel" for Namibia on website. It's confusing people.
    As I am doing back to back tours it will be my only Luggage other then small backpack for 3 1/2 weeks!
    I hope you can get your situation resolved.
    Cheers!
    Stellie

• Options

Stellie, is the duffel sort of large like a 90L one or smaller like something a college athlete would carry. I am at a loss because I thought they were giving out rolling duffel, which suggests something a bit larger.

• Options
    edited May 5

MS78
    I am posting a pic. It's 21 inches length. Tauck needs to REMOVE the Rolling Duffel from the description of the tour.

• Options
    milmil
    edited May 5

That's a gym bag! maybe they are planning for us to become part of the Himba tribe. :D

• Options

Thanks, that sure doesn’t look like it can hold clothes for the entire journey. Think I’ll have to call and get some more details from Tauck.

• Options
    edited May 13

Hi I called Tauck and they said they send us a duffel that measures 24 by 12 by 11 that folds up to 9 by 7 by 4 and weighs 1 pound 12 ounces . She said we will use it for days 2 though 9 on the journey and we will have time to pack it on the first evening.

• Options

The size is a concern! My tour starts on 10/1 but am using the gift of time so I arrive into Windhoek on 9/30. I am spending 3 nights in Cape Town before flying to Windhoek-booked that with a separate TA. My plan is to now look at purchasing merino wool travel clothing for this tour but use a "disposable" carry on to get me through my stay in Cape Town and then just leave it behind after the first night in Windhoek. Sadly that airport does not appear to have any left luggage options as it is a small airport. Any advice to those who travel before that date will be greatly appreciated.

• Options

You need very few clothes and laundry is cheap. I can’t imagine wearing woollen clothing in the high temperatures of Namibia and certainly laundering woollen items would be a problem.

• Options

Stellie, just returning from Epic Namibia and will post my comments and observations on that page soon. We left our Tauck duffels with our FABULOUS TD at the Omaanda Lodge, our final stop. One was full of some of our safari gear for the staff there, and our TD kept the second one as she said someone might need it in Windhoek. She mentioned she has one guest doing back to back Elegant South Africa(?) and Epic Namibia. If that is you, then please be our guest and enjoy. It is truly EPIC. ❤️👏

• Options

Jill, I wore my merino wool top in Windhoek at the Omaanda Lodge and one other time- maybe as a layer under a safari shirt for an early game drive. Kind of blurry now as I just returned yesterday. It was the beginning of their winter. Merino wool is excellent travel fabric because, as you probably know, it does not match its name. Windhoek means “windy corner” in Afrikaans. You are correct that the airport there is way too small for luggage storage. I think your plan sounds ideal. You will have a wonderful time, I am sure.

• Options
    edited May 19

That's me SandyFeet! You are a "Doll". Thank you! Thank you! I look forward to your thoughts about the journey!

• Options

This was my experience of Namibia last November, my second time there. This is the sand dunes area

• Options

Wow!

• Options

Lovely pictures British.

• Options

Beautiful pictures and thank you!

• Options

Fabulous photos! As far as merino wool, it has the amazing properties to keep you warm in cool weather(based on the GSM count) and cool in warm humid weather! It has antimicrobial properties, doesn't trap odor, needs infrequent washing, doesn't wrinkle and packs light in luggage. Can't wait to order a few pieces soon to see how I like it. Various full time travel bloggers swear by it.

• Options

Jill, I travel with my merino tops from Icebreaker everywhere. They’re amazing and can hand wash and dry overnight. Only problem I have the same wardrobe in all my travel photos. Oh well, thankfully everyone looks at the scenery!

• Options

If hunters swear by merino wool, and I do, then travelers should as well! It is really quite amazing and worth the price!

• Options

I have several pairs of Smartwool socks, which I really like. I primarily use them for travel.

• Options

Merino wool should be on sale now since it’s heading into the warmer months. I travel with Icebreaker tops and Smartwool brands. I have never understood the travelers who pack bulky sweatshirts and sweatpants. There is quite a science to layering clothes.

• Options

Hi All, REI is having a great sale now. I did pick up 2 pr Icebreaker leggings and a long sleeve with the REI brand. Ordered some other items from REI online on sale.REI allows a 1 yr return policy so whatever I do not want to pack I can return before my trip. Very impressed with how soft the items are. I am focusing on 100% merino wool tops and some blends for pants and leggings. Hope to buy a dress from WoolX and some pants from Unbound which is top of the line but they are out of stock on sizes I need until July.

• Options

Awesome pics British ! How fortunate to be twice in Namibia❤️

• Options

Jill, thanks for the heads up. I love merino wool, and it will be great for my next trip: Ireland!

• Options

Can anyone tell me what time the last day of the tour returns to the Zannier reserve lodge? I may or may not need to fly out that evening so it would help to know if I can do that. While I would not wish to miss the farewell reception, I may possibly need to do that.

• Options

Can you even drive at night in Namibia, I don’t recall?