Options

Opinion Needed

Comments

• Options

Actually, on Ponant as a Ponant customer you get free beverages, but Tauck purchases the ‘Premium’ beverage package for the Tauck guests. Yes, there are ‘super’ premium beverages that cost extra, but as a Tauck guest you can have Veuve Clicqout Champagne instead of their standard Charles Heidsieck for example. If I remember correctly they have a separate “Premium Beverage” wine list.

• Options

Got a nice ‘splash’ email from Dan Mahar today. You all probably got the same one.

• Options

I haven't received it yet. Maybe it's for people who didn't get packing cubes :)

• Options
    edited December 2023

Just checked my email and received it as well! However, no packing cubes yet!

• Options

My first river cruise with Tauck was in 2010 and included alcohol.

• Options

Here is the 'splash' that Sealord refers to:

• Options

Didn’t get it. And yet when I met Peter Tauck, he thanked me for putting his kids through college.

• Options

Interesting about the Olympic.s opening ceremonies- athletes on river boats and spectators on the river banks and bridges.

Who is Dan thanking in the last para- Tauck’s partners or customers?

• Options

Alan - I believe he is thanking Tauck’s Global Family - guests, partners, and Tauck.

• Options

Is Alcohol included on the Grand Alaska tour aboard Royal Princess cruise ship?

• Options
    edited April 2

You might want to post this questions on the Alaska part of the forum.
    We took this tour a couple of years ago. It was included with meals. We also got a $250 voucher that could be used for anything.
    Of our around 37 Tauck tours, this was by far the most disappointing, or rather, the only disappointing tour we have taken with them once we got on the ship. We had never been on a big ship. Due to remaining Covid concerns, it was only half full but still felt crowded. There is no entertainment on the ship and we had two complete days just sailing. The itinerary was changed and we did not go to some ports of call. We will never go on a big ship again and for us was not good value for money. Again, I’m talking about the ship portion of the tour.

• Options

Fortunately, big ships gave up on us many years ago. We had achieved the highest loyalty status on one cruise line, then they created a status above us and took our benefits away. We never cruised on them again, and we discovered small boats. We cruise frequently on ships that carry only three hundred people. There are no broadway shows, ice rinks, nor water slides, but they are a very nice experience. They are also quite ‘roomy’. We never stand in line for anything.

• Options
    edited April 3

My big ship experience is that you “hurry up to wait”. I also don’t care for the dining experiences in a big ship. The staff or waiters never choose to know you by your name. You’re just a number. It must just be me, because I always felt as though I was in a school cafeteria or with the big super ship experience. Plus, most excursions cost extra. Just my own opinion.

• Options

I'll add my "Me too". We did one cruise on a big ship and that was enough. Never again.

• Options

I’ve only done 2 big ship cruises, and after discovering small ship cruising with Tauck, I’ll never cruise with a traveling city again. Too many people, too much difficulty getting the desired excursions plus the extra costs, and I hate having a camera shoved in my face every time I sit down for a meal or depart the ship—and then having them charge exorbitant fees to obtain your photos. Ugh!

• Options

Cathy - We use Tauck for land tours and small ship cruising and regent for ocean cruises. We are not interested in trying anyone else.

Silversea does a good job, but we're like you - Tauck for land tours, and Regent for ocean cruises.

• Options

But Tauck uses Princess!

• Options

We love Tauck river cruises and Silversea for the ocean but wouldn't mind trying Regent's. Like British we have friends who went with Tauck to Alaska and they mentioned that the land part was excellent but the Princess cruise was just downright bad! Big ships are not for us. Even on the Silversea cruise to Alaska the ship experience was wonderful when you reached the ports so there were so many other ships docked that you couldn't walk a straight line. There were 268 people on Silversea. The Alaska cruise was my least favorite.

• Options

Tauck's small ship (Ponent) to Iceland was lovely. My preference for larger ship cruising is CRYSTAL (Both Serenity (700 tops) and Symphony (600 tops)) have been beautifully refurbished and excursions are curated by Abercrombie & Kent. Very well done.

• Options

Add us to the Tauck and Regent fans. In over 25 trips between the two we have never had any significant disappointment. We have met many new friends and future travel partners on many of our trips!

• Options

We have done a lot of cruising. Our favorites are Windstar, Silversea, and Ponant. We actually consider the Wind Surf to be our second home. We have done over one hundred and fifty days on Windstar ships. We have sailed on all of their fleet. The food and service is ‘above’ average.

• Options

@Stellie - thanks for your comments about Crystal. I've wondered how they were going to do. Can you give some comments to compare Crystal to Regent or Silversea?

In reviewing brochures I receive from Crystal, it seems like a lot of their cruises are on the shorter side, such as seven days.

• Options

Mike I think they deliver a superior product. The lengths all vary. From 7 days through World cruises of 140 days.

• Options

Why are people focused on the ship, what about the countries you see and the sites?

• Options
    edited April 3

Aside from the fabulous ship British (Food /activities /lectures ETC) the countries and sites are amaaaazing as well.

• Options
    edited April 3

British - Why are people focused on the ship, what about the countries you see and the sites?

For me, the most important thing is the itinerary, but after that, it’s the ship. To contrast Regent and Silversea, Regent has three new ships, and the suites on those ships are really great – large and with a big bathroom with two sinks, a tub and a separate large walk-in shower.

I sat through Silversea’s presentation on their new Nova ships and they talked a lot about the features of the ship, and the restaurants, etc. but nothing about the suites.

For me, the ship is just a way to get from port to port, and the most important part of the ship is the cabin I’m in. I haven’t sailed on any of the new Silversea ships, but I didn’t get the feeling that they emphasized the size, quality and comfort of the cabin, and that’s why I continue to lean towards Regent.

Beyond that, they both provide similar things. Regent includes Business Class air, while Silversea includes economy air with an option to upgrade to business class. They seem to be about equal in cost when comparing equal offerings.

But, as British pointed out, the most important thing is the itinerary. Regent, Silversea and Crystal all offer similar itineraries so for a particular itinerary the choice comes down to the ship.

• Options

Stellie, the Princess cruise ship that Tauck used for Alaska had no activities, no lectures and some of the port stops were eliminated.

• Options

Ponant has the most unique itinerary and ship board activities. Some cruises exclusively focus on music and some on getting SCUBA certification (Seychelles). Their Cruising the greek Isles with a competitor offer 3- 4 days of afternoon beach and hiking excursions.

Tauck share Jacques Cartier with Ponant for the Dalmatian Coast although the ones traveled with Ponant can choose different shore excursions including a beach day, oyster farm visit and VW Beetle tour that were not available to the Tauc folks. The Korcula tour for the Ponant people were longer, conducted in English and did not include the dance recital that the Tauck folks go to.

• Options

I had a wonderful Venice-Athens cruise with Azamara, the smaller ship part of RC, a few years ago. 700 travelers, but parts of ship often felt private, if you knew where/when to seek out between-meal eateries. Generous freebies incl. plenty of excursions and chef even prepared a special seafood dish for me when I missed dinner b/c of an included evening concert in Dubrovnik. (Azamara served a late-evening buffet afterwards.) Also enjoyed a P&O Cruise around English Channel; quite an experience, as I was only traveler from North America lol.

• Options

Well said cathyandsteve. And I certainly agree about there being no right or wrong way, whether it be how one travels, what one enjoys experiencing, what one wears, what one eats, the room one stays in, et al.