Options

Goggles really? Is it really that dusty? and a face mask?

Will be going in August....leaving august 22, 2013. In previous emails, talk of lots of dust. Was that the month of May only or will August be as dusty and dry?
Jo Ann and Richard

Excited as we are under 90 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    I read a blog from someone that lived for awhile in South Africa. Said just hours have the rains and the dust was back. It is that dry.
  • Options
    Hi JoJo & Crackers...I'm sure dust is a factor. We ran into very dusty conditions in Tanzania and Kenya in the months of January, February, October and November. However, I never felt the need for goggles. We are going back to Africa from late June until mid-July this year. We will be in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe. It will be winter there...real winter...like 30 degrees when we go out for early game drives. Goggles were recommended, especially for those whose eyes water profusely in a cold breeze. I'm one of those people.

I suppose the same argument could be applied to dust. Some people are more sensitive than others. If that's applies to you, you might even consider taking a "buff" along with the goggles. You can pull it up over your mouth, nose and ears. My wife uses it whenever there are tsetse flies buzzing around.

Leo M

• Options
    A week ago, dust was an occasional issue in the Kalahari. When the winds were blowing (usually during the day) the dust wasn't much of an issue as long as the vehicles stayed back from each other. When there was no wind, the dust got bad. A cloth for your head and mouth is provided so you don't need a buff. Clear goggles would be a good idea if you wear contacts or have sensitive eyes.
  • Options
    thanks bikerbill all your tips....i will be going for the first time August 22 to South Africa, Zambia, and Botswana.....any more tips? jo jo
This discussion has been closed.