Options

RFID chips in credit cards

Has anyone run into any trouble using credit cards in Europe with just the magnetic strip? Has anyone of you had your bank issue you credit cards with the RFID chip in? We are leaving August 10 on the Rhine and Moselle and are spending extra time in both Amsterdam and Basel.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Hi Mara Dee,

My husband and I recently converted our Citi American Airlines Advantage credit cards to the new "smart card" chip cards. The card also works here in the US as a swipe card. It was converted and sent overnight, free of charge. We changed over this card, specifically, for use in Europe - just in case our other, swipe cards, won't be accepted in Europe. If you don't have a Citi AA credit card, and prefer to not apply for one, check with USAA to apply with them. USAA offers services and products for people in the military, either in active service as well as Vets, but the card, I believe, can be issued to those who are not or have ever been in the military.

In addition, the United Explorer card is now a foreign transaction fee free card! However, it is not a "smart/chip" card.
  • Options
    Thanks, nyfeds. Called my bank yesterday and found they had a travel card, and ordered it. Picked up my Tauck packet from my TA yesterday and found they had addressed the topic also. I like the no transaction and no annual fees.
  • Options
    Hi, just returned from Prague and Vienna (non Tauck private trip) and got both Chase and Amex to issue cards with chips to use. They worked great and avoided past problems with mag strip cards. Both companies furnished cards without cost. They have been using the chip cards for years in Europe and we seem to be just catching up in the U.S.
  • Options
    We've traveled extensively and never had an issue with our swipe credit cards. However, always best to be prepared, just in case! Easy enough to get a chip/smart card! Yes, the USA is finally beginning to play catch-up.
  • Options
    I was in Europe on the French Escapade - Paris to Monte Carlo trip in April. I was also worried about using my regular magnetic strip credit card and eventually got a card with a chip just to be on the safe side (both cards offered no international fees). I did not carry many Euros because I planned to use my card for big purchases. In the end, I never had a problem using my regular magnetic strip card. I carried the chip card just in case, but once the cashiers noticed it was a regular card they just turned it around and swiped it using the same handheld machine the chip cards use. I used the regular magnetic strip card in little boutiques, chocolatiers, airports, bistros, a post office, the river boat, etc. Even though I did not use it, I do not regret getting the chip card because it will be beneficial on future trips.

Have fun on your future journeys!
This discussion has been closed.