Options

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons--any pointers?

Taking this trip on Sept. 12. Would love to hear from anyone else going. Also would love to hear from those who have taken the trip already--what to do with free time, etc.

Comments

• Options
    We are going on the 9/12 one, too.

Not too many participants in these forums???? Have you used before?
  • Options
    Dee, Unfortunately, this board is not used very much. I think there is valuable information out there, but for whatever reason, the boards are not used. I do think that having Facebook and this board makes it difficult to decide the best way to post.
  • Options
    Hi roz47 and DeeG,
    I'm going on the September 12 tour, too.
    The travel forum used to be quite busy, with lots of information from people who had taken a tour and were willing to write about it. It seems there are fewer people checking the forum and fewer people providing insights and information.
    How about the report on TV yesterday about another bear attack in Yellowstone?!
  • Options
    Free Time? What free time? No, just kidding. We were on this tour about a year ago and had a great time. We would suggest taking some of the walks that are available to enjoy the evening air, and the changing landscape as the sun sets. Be sure to check out the lodge and the views at the Grand Tetons. Great opportunities to see wildlife (grizzlies and elk) in the fields below the lodge. A good pair of binoculars helps. Yellowstone is great in the early evenings also. You may consider bug repellent or a head net though. We walked Old Faithful in the fading light, and the bugs were out in force. Lots of other geysers to see besides Old Faithful. On this tour, there are great opportunities to see wildlife as the day ends. That is their time to come out and enjoy their habitats.
  • Options
    Hi, we just got back from Yellowstone/Tetons tour (9/6-9/15) and it was amazing. There is very little free time as you are driving a long distance. Bring warm clothes, hiking boots (if you want), as it is cold in the morning in the mountains.
    You may know the bus time is taken up with informational talks by the tour director, which are very interesting and informative. The tour is run like a well-oiled machine! If you have specific questions you can e mail me at Tal7410@aol.com. Enjoy!
  • Options
    We just did this trip in July..... GREAT adventure. Bring a really good pair of binoculars and a powerful zoom lens for your camera..... a lot of the "good stuff" (especially animals) on this tour is seen at a distance. They do carry high powered scopes on the bus but everyone wants a turn so you don't get but a glimpse. It was very cool in the morning and quite warm in the afternoon......"layering" was a must. If you are not used to being active at high altitude, prepare yourself....... don't be embarrassed to tell the guide that you need to stop to get your breath. There is absolutely nothing negative to say about this tour........ it is a true adventure.
This discussion has been closed.