Welcome to Tauck’s Botswana, South Africa & Zambia Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Botswana, South Africa & Zambia Forum- Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• Will this trip be offered on 2014?
  • Hi Kay,

I've been watching your post for an answer, too! This trip is definitely on my wannado radar and 2014 might just be my year to return to southern Africa. Let's cross our fingers, Kay!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hello Kay and Jan,

Our tour dates for 2014 are coming out faster than ever this. Hopefully we will get word if this tour will be available in 2014 very shortly.

Best,
    Emily
  • Hi Emily...We'll be watching to hear from Tauck too. We are going to South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe in June & July of 2013. Our recent record with Africa is that one trip begets a second trip. If that trend repeats itself, 2014 would work for us too. Right now, we are looking very seriously at Tauck's trip to Egypt and Jordan....Leo M
  • Ooh, that is good news, Emily!

And I know what you mean, Leo. I felt the same way about Egypt. I made 3 trips up, down and around the Nile in the 1980s. Then, river transport was governed by the height of the Nile, (naturally!) so I only managed 2 visits to Middle Egypt. Sadly, I never made it out to the oases. The region surely is addictive ... as is the whole continent.

At least you get good value for those shots, Leo!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Welcome to Tauck’s Botswana, South Africa & Zambia Forum- Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.
  • edited March 2013
    Plan on going in August of 2013 on this trip. Confused on luggage as everyone else seems.
    We are going into Capetown 3 days/ 3 nights early. So my question is do we each take a carry on not exceed 20" long X 15" wide X 10" high. using tauck duffel bags to not exceed 33lbs or 44 lbs? Does it make sense to take a 3rd suitcase for the 7 days in cape town? what can it's max be? The normal US carryon is not to exceed 45 linear inches will that work for this trip? I hate to buy a smaller caryon just for this trip?
    Help as my husband and I want to have regular clothes for the first 7 days in Capetown yet have the safari bag packed but confused on the 33 or 44 lb limit for the tauck bag they will be mailing us?

Basically is this correct?
    1 back pack, 1carryon not to exceed 45 linear inches, one 44 lbs suitcase and one bag for safari either 33 or 44 right?

We are going in the August 22 group! Anyone out there going then?

Jo Ann and Richard

• This trip has apparently been redesigned for 2014, starting in Livingstone and ending in Cape Town. My guess is that this simplified logistics involving internal flights. My wife and I are booked in April 2014.
  • jo jo wrote:
    Plan on going in August of 2013 on this trip. Confused on luggage as everyone else seems.
    We are going into Capetown 3 days/ 3 nights early. So my question is do we each take a carry on not exceed 20" long X 15" wide X 10" high. using tauck duffel bags to not exceed 33lbs or 44 lbs? Does it make sense to take a 3rd suitcase for the 7 days in cape town? what can it's max be? The normal US carryon is not to exceed 45 linear inches will that work for this trip? I hate to buy a smaller caryon just for this trip?
    Help as my husband and I want to have regular clothes for the first 7 days in Capetown yet have the safari bag packed but confused on the 33 or 44 lb limit for the tauck bag they will be mailing us?

Basically is this correct?
    1 back pack, 1carryon not to exceed 45 linear inches, one 44 lbs suitcase and one bag for safari either 33 or 44 right?

We are going in the August 22 group! Anyone out there going then?

Jo Ann and Richard

Hi Jo Ann and Richard,

Due to space limitations on aircrafts, we urge you to bring one average size suitcase per person with weight not exceeding 44 pounds. The 44 lb weight restriction is applicable to
    the Cape Town to Livingstone on-tour flight that is part of this journey. Luggage exceeding the 44lb weight restriction risk being left behind or subject to expensive overage
    fees.

In addition, one small size carry-on is permitted (one per passenger). We recommend the dimensions of your carry-on not exceed 20" long X 15" wide X 10" high.

For nights 6-11, we will be using the Tauck duffel bags for our travel on small aircraft where luggage must be soft sided and cannot exceed 33lbs. Our large luggage pieces will
    travel with us from Cape Town, to Livingstone, and across the border to Kasane, Botswana. As we depart with our duffel bags for 3 nights Khwai River Lodge and 3 nights Camp Kalahari, our larger luggage pieces will be flown down to Maun for storage until our arrival on Day 12. On Day 12, we will be reunited with our luggage at Maun airport for our flight to Johannesburg and the end of the tour.

Tauck strongly urges that checked luggage be limited to one piece of luggage per person, due to space limitations on the intra-tour flights.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Going on June 28-July 8 Botswana Zambia trip. What is excess baggage cost for flight from CapeTown to Johannesburg? Could an extra bag be stored by Tauk in Johannesburg while we go to Zambia and Botswana ?
    Also, I realize a 600 mm lens will not be practical on the safari vehicles. But would it be safe to keep it at the camps so I could photograph birds in and around the camps?
    Jamey Degner
  • Hello Jamey,

Due to space limitations on aircrafts, we urge you to bring one average size suitcase per person with weight not exceeding 44 pounds. The 44 lb weight restriction is applicable to the Cape Town to Livingstone on-tour flight that is part of this journey. Luggage exceeding the 44lb weight restriction risk being left behind or subject to expensive overage fees.

In addition, one small size carry-on is permitted (one per passenger). We recommend the dimensions of your carry-on not exceed 20" long X 15" wide X 10" high.
    For nights 6-11, we will be using the Tauck duffel bags for our travel on small aircraft where luggage must be soft sided and cannot exceed 33lbs. Our large luggage pieces will travel with us from Cape Town, to Livingstone, and across the border to Kasane, Botswana. As we depart with our duffel bags for 3 nights Khwai River Lodge and 3 nights Camp Kalahari, our larger luggage pieces will be flown down to Maun for storage until our arrival on Day 12. On Day 12, we will be reunited with our luggage at Maun airport for our flight to Johannesburg and the end of the tour.

South African Air charges approximately $15 for every pound that exceeds the 44 pound limit we list in the brochure.

As for the lens to keep at the camp, our camps are very safe, that being said Tauck cannot be responsible, assume liability or accept claims for loss or damage to luggage or personal effects due to breakage , or theft. Please make sure you have adequate insurance to cover these eventualities.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Welcome to Tauck’s Botswana, South Africa & Zambia Forum- Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.
    Anyone going on the October 3, 2013 trip?
This discussion has been closed.