Options

Phone anyone?

If you have done the trip to Australia or have a good knowledge of the phone system please help.
I never travel without having a lifeline, via phone, back home. It appears Sprint does not connect in Australia.
Do you know what mobile international phone works (without a plan)?
Do you know the cost and where it can be purchased?
I am not leaving until April 2014 but I plan ahead.

Comments

• Options
    You can buy a card that will give you calls cheap. As far as mobile I had AT&T and calls were expensive even after adding international. I now just do text (50 for 10) or email when free wifi.
  • Options
    When I went to England, I rented a phone from Verizon. I am not sure what the "plan" would be for Australia, but it was about $20 to rent it and I only had to pay when I used it. I am not positive but it was about $.50 if I sent a text, but $.15 if I received on. I cannot not remember exactly what it was per minute if I made a phone call. I do know that I sent and received about 20 text messages and made a ten minute phone call to the States as well as a couple of calls to people in England and it cost me about $100 including the renting of the phone. You can check with them about how to rent one.
  • Options
    crackers54 wrote:
    You can buy a card that will give you calls cheap. As far as mobile I had AT&T and calls were expensive even after adding international. I now just do text (50 for 10) or email when free wifi.

What type of card and does it work with most services and Android?
  • Options
    I am not sure the TD told us about it. Might not have even been for cells, might have been landlines. I did not get one so I did not really pay attention.
This discussion has been closed.