Typhoid shots and Sports jackets

My wife and I are going on the Oct 23 South Africa: An Elegant Adventure, from Cape Town.

I've heard conflicting reports about the need for typhoid shots (or pills). Have those of you who have taken this trip gotten them or not?

Also, will I need a sport jacket?

Thanks,

Ric

Comments

• So glad to hear from others who are on this tour.
    I took Typhoid pills and will take Malarone for Malaria while on the trip. I have my yellow fever from a past trip.
    Check with your doctor to make sure your other caccinations are up to date.\
    From all I have read, there is no need for a sports jacket.
    Yellow fever vaccination is not required where we will be going unless you want to go into Zambia from Victoria Falls.
    Where are you coming from?
    I am coming from NY area flying out of JFK on Oct. 23 on South African Air.
    Looking forward to meeting you.
    Barbara
  • A sports jacket has not been required on any Tauck trip I have taken. However, some men are more comfortable wearing one to some dinners. Also, if you plan any optional activities in your "free" time, these may have a stricter dress code. Finally, locals in some destinations (eg, Europe) simply dress more formally than most Americans, and you may blend in better with a sport coat - if that is important to you. Because of luggage weight restrictions I generally leave mine home.
  • Thanks for the replies. I'll leave the sport jacket home! Anyone out there who is NOT getting a typhoid shot or pills?
    We are flying Emirates out of Seattle, with a two night stopover in Dubai. See you in Cape Town!
  • Ric

I, too, tried to find what shots and pills were recommended for this trip. No travel agent, company,doctor or even the CDC would provide a definitive answer. The CDC did say I needed a lot of shots if I was going to sample a lot of the local wares! Finally, the South African consulate in LA and a representative from South African Airways both said nothing was needed. However, the CDC map shows we are close to one malaria area and we have prescribed pills for that IF the local guide thinks it is necessary. There are side effects and they have to be taken days in advance and days afterwards.

Others have provided accurate and complete advice on sports jackets. I refuse to take one and have found a suitable substitute. We could not get into one Munich restaurant without a jacket but they would have (probably) supplied one if I hadn't been so stubborn. That has worked for the introductory dinner, the Captain's dinner on cruises and the farewell dinner.

Someone at Tauck told me everyone is coming a day early which should be good for getting acquainted.

We are flying non-stop (18 yuck hours) from northern VA out of Dulles and expected to see lots of green tags there or in Johannesburg.

Should you want to chat sooner, call me at 524-4333.

Stan
  • Took this trip last October and NO typhoid shot. Did take along malaria pills which we took daily (take with yogurt it helps) and had yellow fever shots. Took antibiotics just in case, never used. You are going to love this trip! Have fun and don't overpack.
  • What is Stan's suitable substitute for a sports jacket?
  • Thanks, Stan, for the useful info. We did get typhoid shots and Hep A but yellow fever not needed unless you cross into Zambia at Victoria Falls and want to get back into Zimbabwe. We have Malarone for malaria (which can occur in Kruger, according to S. Africa National Parks web site). We were told by our physician and by Passport Health to take it two days before entering a malaria area. We also have antibiotics and a few other meds just in case.
    We have bought Columbia "Silver Ridge" convertible pants, short and long-sleeve shirts. They're nylon rather than polyester. Nylon is supposed to be better for these conditions. I'll spray pants, shirts, socks and hats with Permethrin (Sawyer's Insect Repellant from REI). With body heat it creates a chemical "aura" which keeps bugs away. It'll be about 100 at Victoria Falls, mid to upper 80's at the national parks, about 80 in Jo'berg, and cooler in Cape Town, according to weather.com. Of course, these can vary significantly. We're on the border of dry and rainy seasons, so we could get some rain.
    We are not getting there a day early. In fact, we'll be lucky to get there for the intro cocktail party, since our plane gets into Cape Town about 4:30 PM. We're coming from Seattle on Emirates, with a two-night stopover in Dubai.
This discussion has been closed.