Options

Tauck Bridges, July 29, 2011

Anyone else going on this trip? We are family of 4, kids age 11 and 15. Or has anyone done this trip and have any tips?

Comments

• Options
    We are a family of 4 also going July 29th. Two girls turning 12 and 14 while we are in Florence. Our first trip with Tauck.
  • Options
    Our daughter is turning 15 the day before we fly out. We are leaving on July 27 but don't get to Rome until July 28. Are you coming in early? Are you from US? We are from Canada. I have read that other people's private tour of the Sistine Chapel has been cancelled but I have not heard anything, I hope that is not the case for us.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    We are from the US. We are also leaving on July 27th arriving on the 28th. Trying to plan what we would like to see before the tour starts (afternoon of 28th and morning of 29th). I am nervous about planning too much for the day we arrive as I wasn't sure what shape the girls would be in after flying all night.
  • Options
    We are also thinking about what to do with our time, I think we will just go for a walk to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. I don't want to plan too much, jetlag can be really tough the first few days and I am the one usually hit the worst.
  • Options
    Those were the two spots we were hoping to see as well. And maybe have a late lunch nearby. We arrive at 7 a.m. I am guessing it will be close to noon by the time we get settled at the hotel.
  • Options
    We arrive at 10:30 a.m., I am hoping our hotel room will be ready when we get there. Are you staying extra time in Venice at the end of the tour. We are staying an extra day and I think we are going to go island hopping, especially to Murano.
  • Options
    I am with you on the room. It would be nice to unpack and shower after flying all night. We are not staying extra time in Venice. The girls are going right from overnight camp to Italy and will really need some time to get organized at home. They actually start school in August and the high schooler has band camp and field hockey practice the week before school starts.
  • Options
    I know about the busy schedule, we are back at home for 3.5 days and I have to drive 8 hours to jazz camp and potentially a math camp, which will keep me and the kids away from home for a minimum of a week but if math camp works out up to 12 days. My husband has to stay home and work, I guess someone has too! Our kids don't start school until September, thank goodness. My daughter plays the drums in band, what do your kids play? I was also wondering if you got the backpacks for the kids from Tauck? Not sure if we will recieve them before we go being in Canada.
  • Options
    Sounds like it is a crazy summer there as well. Just packing the kids for two weeks at overnight camp. Leaving in 2 hours. My family was here all week from California and Maryland so just started. Bad planning! The girls play the flute and clarinet. And there has been no sign of the backpacks here either.
  • Options
    Wow your kids will barely have time to unpack and repack from camp to Italy. We are flying to the city this weekend, hopefully we can do a little shopping for Italy for the kids. We live in a small northern town so all our major shopping is done when we go to the "city". I thought my son had long pants but turns out he grew out of everything but jeans, so we will have to get some for the churches. It is two weeks from today till we fly to the "city" before leaving for Italy, it seems to be coming up fast. What state are you guys from? We are from Manitoba.
  • Options
    Since reading that you need to fly to good shopping, I will no longer complain that I need to drive 45 minutes to the good mall. We are in the same situation as far as clothes go: all jeans and Jean shorts, no long pants. We live in Northern Connecticut, just over the border from Massachusetts.
  • Options
    Hello! We live in central NJ and it's Dad and my three daughters 17-14-10. This is our first Tauck tour - the girls hope to meet new friends on the tour
  • Options
    Great news Dadof3girls! Our first tauck trip as well with daughters who will turn 12 and 14 while we are in Florence. We are from Connecticut.
  • Options
    Welcome Dadof3girls, I was getting worried that it was just our family and Sammysister on our tour. My son is getting a little concerned that there will be no boys on the trip. I am sure there will be, but he is still a little worried. Hard to believe we leave, home, one week from today. Since we are so far from civilization we have to leave home a couple of days before our flight actually leave Canada. But we did have a successful shopping weekend in "the big city", so now just the packing left to do.
  • Options
    We leave a week from today so we are really excited. Need to start packing . Always Cool- several weeks ago I spoke to Tauck about kids gender and ages. At that time there were 11 girls and 9 boys. Hopefully that will make your son feel better. I still am trying to figure out what to do for my daughters birthdays in Florence. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Thank you Sammysister, my son is somewhat relieved, now he's worried about ages of they boys, some people are never happy :) We were on a tour last year during my daughter's birthday. We had some tour items that day but were done all scheduled activities by early afternoon, so she and I had something done at the spa at the hotel and then the family went out for a special dinner, our tour guide helped us find a restaurant and make reservations. Do you know if Tauck does anything special for birthdays? On our tour last year (different tour company) they celebrated all birthdays on the trip at one time with a cake, and then on individuals actual birthdays they got a card and a special button to wear on their special day. You can probably ask the tour guide, if they have any suggestions, when you get there.
  • Options
    Love the spa idea! I will check it out. I already e-mailed concierge for a good birthday restaurant. The day betweentheir birthdays is one where we do dinner on our own. For your son, when I called they did give me ages of girls on trip if he really wants to know. Also, my 11 year old girl usually hangs with the boys if that helps. You mentioned last years tour...did you travel overseas before? This is our girls first trip to Europe. They have mostly traveled thru US and several tropical islands.
  • Options
    It's my daughter's birthday the day we are in "the big city", the day before we fly out of Canada, so her and I are doing a spa day. We have traveled to many sun destinations and a few U.S. destinations many times, but last year was our first guided family tour, we went to China. This will be the first time to Europe for anyone in our family.
  • Options
    Wow China! Definitely on my list. Just a few days until we leave. I should probably start packing soon. It is 103 today so I am having trouble getting motivated.
  • Options
    Spent a few hours packing mine and the kids clothes today, hubby packs himself, usually at the last minute! Kids are good, but as per usual I have way too much. Will finish packing tomorrow, then work Monday and fly out Monday night, it kind of snuck up on me. Not that warm here 19 C., hence the name Always Cool, can't wait for some HOT weather, I love the heat. See you all real soon.
  • Options
    HI All, my daughter, 13, son, 10, and I are looking forward to sharing this experience will all of you! It is the kids first trip to Europe and they are very excited about it.
  • Options
    AlwaysCool I believe you are leaving today. Have a safe trip! We will see you in Rome. Same wish for others leaving tomorrow. Can't wait to meet all of you. My family is really excited and with any luck will actually pack today!
This discussion has been closed.