Options

Packing in General-Scandinavian Tour

Taking the 14 day Scandinavian Tour in late June 2014. Luggage weight limited (of course). Prefer casual comfortable vacations, but directions-hint for dress to include some classier items. There are nine dinners offered. My husband is a large man and his dressier shoes take up half of an average size carry on. Give me some direction, please, experienced travelers. We usually wear blue-jeans in the day (is that okay?)....at dinner can we get away with wearing Dockers? Everyone looks so gall-darn dressed up in the Tauck photos! Few, except for the teenagers, seem to really go "casual" as in "USA casual." I know in Switzerland all the ladies wore skirts 24-7...I was totally out of place in my slacks and blouse. Thanks for any input and comments.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Wanderwoman,

Get ready for an awesome trip! Comfort is key because you'll cover a lot of territory with all the countries you'll be visiting. Pack light, but remember there'll be temperature changes (dress in layers). I usually take shirts and tops that are easily washable in the bathroom sink, which dries by morning. We took this trip several years ago mid-July. The dress-up days are the welcome and farewell reception dinners, as well as the day of the group photo. My husband wore black sneakers; I took one dressy pair of pumps. (There are cobblestone streets in the capital cities.) He wore dockers and knit shirts; I got by with one dressy pair of pants and several dressy tops, which I accessorized with fine jewelry and a light scarf. The Scandinavians we met dressed simply; casual comfort is key. We noticed this in the museums and restaurants we went to apart from the tour group. Don't forget bathing suits; there are spas that you shouldn't miss. In Tivoli, there are lots of families...akin to what you'll find in Disney World. Have fun!
  • Options
    I am on the June 15th tour. Is that by chance the one you are on. It will be my 11th tour and I have always gone with dress pants or dockers with a few shirts if I change for supper.