Options

River floods in Spring, Danube and Rhine

Trying to determine best months to go on a Danube or Rhine river cruise. april or may? concerned about flooding that we've heard about in the spring. can anyone shed any light on this? more comments the better, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    if you have a Cristal Ball you'll be able to pick the month you want to go without any weather problems. As you are aware, the World has been experiencing weird weather. Last year's spring flooding was not experienced for 100 years. When we went to Bucharest last August, we had a dry Danube and the river boat had to pick us up about an hour up stream from Bucharest.

Have a great time.
    Sheila
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I know some people that went in late May and had no issue. A few weeks later in June Tauck had to cancel a few trips. I did this in late Aug early Sept and only missed the last night of floating down the river do to flooding in the next to last stop. They arranged busses to take us to the last city and on to Prague. No way to predict if there will be no issue, flooding, or lack of water.

I did the Rhine/Moselle in early May and had no issue. I recommend going in early to Amsterdam and adding going to the tulip show outside of Amsterdam. You can catch a bus in town and transfer at the airport. It drops you off right at the place and you can take your time and not have to watch the clock the way you would if you sign up for a tour of it.
  • Options
    We did this tour in late May, 2011 and had no problems with flooding or lack of water, only perfect weather. It was slightly cool in Amsterdam but once we hit Germany it was extremely pleasant. This is a fantastic trip and probably the most relaxing trip of all the Tauck tours so far. There are absolutely no rocking or rolling so no one got sea sick, a great experience.
    Gary