Options

Grand Australian and New Zealand tour February 17, 2014

Anyone going on this tour?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, my husband and I will be on that trip as well! We are really looking forward to it. We are from Northfield, IL. How about you!

Marty and Bob
  • Options
    We are from West Palm Beach, Fl. Going afew days early to adjust to time change. Looking forward to the trip.
  • Options
    Final payment is made!!! Now the trip is becoming real. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.
  • Options
    Melbourne is a wonderful city and the Langham is well located to allow easy walks through a lot of the downtown area. Try to go to the Immigration Museum and then enjoy the delightful people while having lunch near the river adjacent to the hotel. You are going to have a really, really great trip. Remember to keep hydrated and increase your water intake quite a bit in preparation for the Red Center of Australia during summer. Have fun!
  • Options
    And the National Gallery of Victoria is just a short stroll from The Langham. Well worth a visit. And the Queen Victoria Gardens opposite the NGV are a really lovely place to escape the heat of February … especially since the drought is now just a horrible memory. Then there's the Royal Botanic Gardens which are just a little further along. And don't forget to ask the Concierge about the possibility of a dusk trip to St Kilda to see the fairy penguin colony. (Melbourne's best kept, secret attraction!) Lots of interesting things to see and do in Melbourne!

Cheers,

Jan

• Options
    Jan, we are planning to see the fairy penguins on Sunday February 16th. Is there one tour company better than the others. I saw one had a wine tour. Any suggestions ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Which penguin colony do you mean, Salmcg? The special, very little one at St Kilda near the city or the large one at Phillip Island?

There are quite a few wine growing areas near Melbourne. Do you have a favourite area? Favourite type of wine … still white, sparkling, red? Just a tip …. if you want to taste the best sauvignon blanc in the world (yes, really!) you will find that in the Marlborough area of New Zealand. (I just checked your itinerary and you do visit the area.) Of course, you can buy NZ sav blanc in Australia so you can taste it before you get there. If you are lucky enough to come across some sav blanc from the east coast of Tasmania that does give the Kiwis a run for their money. Hate to say it (think Boston v. NY) but the best Kiwi sav blanc is still the best in the world. You will find some cheaper, lower quality stuff, but even that is better than most examples of the grape & style.

Let me know what your interests are and I'll get back to you.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Jan, we are planning to go to the Phillip island to see the penguins. We have the whole day free so we are up for anything. Love your remark about Boston vs NY! We are Boston fans. We will keep an eye out for the Sauvignon blanc but are open to red also. Monday we are doing a inside tour of the new stadium arranged by a friend of ours. I think I will need a vacation after this is done. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What's new! I always need a holiday after a Tauck trip! :)))) I reckon I sleep for the first month after I'm home from a 6 week jaunt overseas! And this year, with the ankle I twisted in up state NY, I hobbled for 3 months when I got home. Mind you, it was a great excuse not to have to drag myself around the crowded streets of NY in August. Urgh. I stayed in my room for a week and dreamed of Boston in June ….. Much more pleasant than having to deal with all the rude tourists … and that was only in the foyer of the Marriott! At least I had a walking stick to fend them off with.

Lots of good red wine around Melbourne. You might try and squeeze in a trip to the Yarra Valley wine growing area (quite close to Melbourne). Good reds are not what NZ can do well. Wrong climate and conditions. But, they do do some very good pinot noir in the South Island around Otago.

New stadium? Hmm … you must mean the new small one near the big one (the MCG regularly holds 100,000). The newer small one is designed for various other football codes … soccer, rugby … can only take 30,000. It has quite a striking design for a small venue.

Which penguin tour …. I am talking to some knowledgeable travel people later today. I'll check with them for their suggestions. As a local, I've never actually been on a commercial tour! I'll get back to you on it.

Cheers,

Jan

Penguin update: I was rather surprised with the answer! The unequivocal answer was Greyline. According to my travel professional (a Grand Hyatt concierge) they got the best feedback from travellers who booked this company. Have a look at their site: http://grayline.com.au There are a few variations on the theme to choose from.
  • Options
    Jan, thanks for the info on fairy penguins. Looked up the site and they do have some great packages. A friend of ours sister works at the new stadium and is real excited on showing off the new venue. We will definitely be checking out the wines both red and white! Thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Oh, happy to help, guys!

You are really going to enjoy that back of house stadium tour. Nothing beats the personal approach. Tauck? Oh, hello? Or as we say here ….. "Tauck? Cooee!"

Wait till you get here. Ask your TD what COOEE! (capitals intended) means. If they don't know, call me and I will put them in their place. Open challenge. ;)))))

Don't forget, now.

Cheers,

Jan.

PS: In joke. Tauck are really good at working the personal approach….. Just saying' ……..
  • Options
    Ok we are getting close on this trip. Who else is going and when do you get there?
  • Options
    Jan, just booked our fairy penguins trip. Greylines website was easy to use. Thanks, Sallie
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No worries, Sallie Now, I want pics! They will be the cutest little Italian waiters you will ever see.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Arriving Saturday 15 and staying at Langham. Be great to say hello before the tour starts.
  • Options
    Sorry to say we won't be making this trip, will try next year. Husband had emergency surgery on January 27th and now he is on IV antibiotics for the next month. Travel is definitely out! Hope everyone has a great time!!!
  • Options
    That's a shame, Sallie, but glad DH is doing well. Next year, as you say. Perhaps you can allow a little more time either end? Always keen to keep people here!

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file