Options

travel tips?

I'm looking for feedback or travel tips from anyone who has been on the Grand Family Safari. Anything you wish you had brought and did not or vice versa? Did you wear shorts/pants or both? We're (me and 12 year old) are leaving from Boston for the July 3 Grand Family Safari. Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    sounds like you are there now. We are going on the July 23 Grand Family Safari and looking for same info...especiallly on clothing and temps to expect. Can you, or anyone who has been on this in July, let us know what temps were like and suggested clothing details?
  • Options
    We just returned from the June 26-July 6th trip (It was the trip of a lifetime!) Mornings and evenings were chilly- a fleece/sweater for me and a hoody sweatshirt for the kids was fine. Pants/capris during the day and night worked best for the first part of the trip-it became warmer in the Serengeti and most of us wore shorts during the day, pants at night. Warm pajamas were necessary, particularly in the Tarangire park tented camp, where there are screens only (warm blankets were provided, but it was cold there in the morning and at night). Not a bad idea to wear the earth colors, although people really wore anything. The food was great, the tour director and guides superb. Enjoy!
  • Options
    My experience was the same as loves2travel as far as temps and clothing. It's all about layers. I did bring a few pairs of convertor pants (pants to shorts) and I was glad I had them. Most adults on our tour also had some version of a safari vest which was handy to carry personal items. The children on our trip seemed to wear their everyday clothing. I brought some clothing that I wore just at dinner, not because it is required but it was good to put on something clean every night. There is laundry service at most of the camps. It truly was the trip of a lifetime! Have fun and hakuna matata (no worries)the Tauck director will take good care of you.
  • Options
    Have read with interest- Tanzania trip of a lifetime? We have completed 3 adventures with Disney and are considering this trip and are now considering this trip for our 9 year old son in July 2012. Were there many children in your groups? Had you completed tauck trips before?
    Unfortunately for me abercrombie and Kent have just taken 50% off their Egypt family trip and it makes it under half this trip. The problem is whilst we wish to show our son egypt we have already done it twice and whilst we have done several safaris neither of us have ever been to Tanzania, so I guess I just wanted to know what made it so special, so in my own mind I can justify the extra
    cost

Thanks

• Options
    pipch wrote:
    Have read with interest- Tanzania trip of a lifetime? We have completed 3 adventures with Disney and are considering this trip and are now considering this trip for our 9 year old son in July 2012. Were there many children in your groups? Had you completed tauck trips before?
    Unfortunately for me abercrombie and Kent have just taken 50% off their Egypt family trip and it makes it under half this trip. The problem is whilst we wish to show our son egypt we have already done it twice and whilst we have done several safaris neither of us have ever been to Tanzania, so I guess I just wanted to know what made it so special, so in my own mind I can justify the extra
    cost

Thanks
    My husband and I took our 11 year old grandson on this trip in July of 2011 and my advice would be GO TAUCK! I can't even begin to say how wonderful the trip was. The group was comprised of 12 kids and 12 adults; mostly parents and children but a couple grandparents with grandchild as we were. We were so glad we decided on this trip because our grandson loved every moment of it; it was the perfect pacing. The animals were so plentiful at this time of year, our guide and drivers were top-notch (very informative and really worked well with the kids), there were activities geared to the kids which they enjoyed, the resorts were lovely, the itinerary couldn't have been better. We really enjoyed the fact that we were at the resorts for two nights which made for less packing and more time for our many game drives. Our drivers were so patient at helping everyone spot the animals when they were difficult to see and waiting till everyone had seen enough. It really was "a trip of a lifetime".
  • Options
    Travel Forums Home » Discuss Trips by Region » Africa » Tanzania: A Grand Family Safari Forum
    Tanzania: A Grand Family Safari - looking for tips from previous travelers

Hello, would you consider going to the post about "looking for tips from previous travelers" on the Tanzania A Grand Family Safari Forum and commenting? thanks.