Options

Grand Alaska - June 21, 2014

We are set to go on this trip June 21. Is anyone planning to go on this date? We are really looking forward to seeing Alaska. It will be our fourth time to travel with Tauck. It would be great to make an introduction before the trip actually starts. Hope to hear from someone.

I do have a question about the Princess portion of the trip. Since this is a longer trip than we normally take, space is going to be a premium in our luggage. Will there be other dining options that won't require a jacket and tie for my husband? Also, are there laundry facilities on the ship that we can do our own laundry or is it just valet services?

Comments

• Options
    We're just going to miss you. We start our Land portion on June 7th from anchorage. Then pick up our cruise ship the "Crown" on june 14th for our cruise to VanCouver. We're in VC for 4 night. This is our first Tauck and Alaska adventure. We're very excited about this trip.BTW I did see on the deck layout that there was laundry on deck 5 and 9 maybe others as well. Bon Voyage
  • Options
    Hi Cathy1052,

Yes, laundry facilities are available on board the princess, and there are two designations of evening wear aboard Princess: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:
    Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home
    Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
    Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Formal Evenings: (two)
    Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies
    Tie and jacket, or suits for men

To save space, the men could just pack one jacket with matching tie, and pick a number of shirts and slacks that will both work with that jacket and work on their own, so they don't have to pack a specific shirt or slacks for the formal evenings. That's what I generally do, anyway, and it's worked for me in the past.

I hope this helps!
    -Tim
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the info. We are really looking forward to this trip. So sorry we are going to miss you dlong1070. This is our 4th trip w/Tauck and I think you will love the experience. They are just wonderful. Love to hear from anyone going when we are.
  • Options
    I did this tour a few years ago. I packed dressy clothes for the formal nights. I did learn that it is possible to eat in the buffet on the formal evenings without dressing up. Since I had brought the "formal" clothes, I wore them the first night but chose to eat in the buffet the second wearing casual clothing.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks Kathy18. Did you enjoy this trip? It is longer than we are used to. Anything about the trip that you think might be helpful to know?
  • Options
    Cathy1052 wrote:
    Thanks Kathy18. Did you enjoy this trip? It is longer than we are used to. Anything about the trip that you think might be helpful to know?

I loved this tour. The tour has been changed somewhat from the year that I did it, but the scenery is magnificent. Being on the ship the last part of the tour gives you some time to relax. When you are cruising through Glacier Bay and if you are in a blacony room, then sit on your balcony, turn the television commentary up and just enjoy. If not find a location in a lounge or on deck to enjoy.

The best advice is to dress casually for the shore part and have layers. I was there in July so I am not sure how much cooler it might be for your tour. Also in looking through my photos, on one of the formal nights, we went to one of the ship's specialty restaurants. I wore a skirt and blouse, my friend wore black slacks and a blouse and a young man that we meet wore a jacket and tie. None in my group had "traditional formal wear" even though we saw others on the ship (not the tour) with tuxes and gowns.

You should have an unbelieveable experience. I was there in 2007 and every year my friend and I say that we want to go back. I would do it immediately except there are too many other places that I haven't seen yet.
  • Options
    Thanks so much Kathy. Thanks for all the helpful advice. We are very excited. We chose the mini suite just for the nice balcony. I am sure we will enjoy that. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Yes, we are on the Grand Alaska tour departing June 21. This will be our third Tauck tour. Would like to have someone to say hello to ahead of time. We are celebrating our wedding anniversary on June 25th. I am having a few navigation problems as I am an I-Pad novice. Perhaps we can exchange ideas...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hi Jme44. So glad to hear we will be on the same trip! I would love for us to communicate before our trip. Please contact me at: cathywhoover@gmail.com. We are very excited about this trip. It will be our 4th trip with Tauck. I'll be waiting for your email.
  • Options
    We are departing on 6/21, too! This trip is in honor of our granddaughter's Master's Degree graduation this month! Her college graduation trip was with us on a Tauck tour of Spain. Get ready for a great time. Tauck does it in grand style! Hence, this will be our 7th or 8th trip with them.
    RE: dress up nights. We are all in the same boat --literally. Who cares if you wear the same casual or formal wear 2 or 3 times. It's just for a couple of hours. Smile a lot: they won't even look at your clothes! Instead, save room for the jackets and rain gear... just in case. Jim
  • Options
    J. Hale wrote:
    We are departing on 6/21, too! This trip is in honor of our granddaughter's Master's Degree graduation this month! Her college graduation trip was with us on a Tauck tour of Spain. Get ready for a great time. Tauck does it in grand style! Hence, this will be our 7th or 8th trip with them.
    RE: dress up nights. We are all in the same boat --literally. Who cares if you wear the same casual or formal wear 2 or 3 times. It's just for a couple of hours. Smile a lot: they won't even look at your clothes! Instead, save room for the jackets and rain gear... just in case. Jim

Hi J. Hale. What a nice celebratory trip for you all. You must be very proud of your granddaughter. Yes, I definitely agree that Tauck does their trips first class. We are very excited about the upcoming trip. If you would like to communicate before the trip, please email me @ cathywhoover@gmail.com. That would be great.
  • Options
    We are on the June 21 tour and are really looking forward to it. We have always enjoyed Tauck tours and have met some really great people while vactioning.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi ogilley. So glad to hear you will be on the same trip as we are. I would love to hear from you guys before the trip if you would like. My email is: cathywhoover@gmail.com. This will be our fourth Tauck trip and we have really enjoyed traveling with Tauck. Hope to hear from you.
  • Options
    My sister and I are leaving for the Grand Alaska tour tomorrow, June6. I noticed on the weather app that it is suppose to be raining in the Danali National Park several days while we are scheduled to be staying there. Will this affect the rafting trip and some of the other activities that have been planned

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file