Feb. 28, 2014, Halong Bay?

We are arriving one day early (evening of Feb. 26) , and are wondering whether there is time for a one day trip to Halong Bay. Has anyone made arrangements to visit there?

Comments

• I made this trip two years ago and arrived in Hanoi two days early. The first free day I went to Halong Bay via a private tour I had arranged before leaving home. We left the hotel around 7:30 a.m. and I got back about 7:00 p.m. It is a long day (about six hours of driving time, then time on one of the boats circling the Bay with lunch served) but it was worth it. Halong Bay is beautiful but try to get some rest on the way over so you are not totally exhausted that first day. My second day I walked around Hanoi and saw other sites not scheduled for the tour and it was nice to have some extra time for rest.

You can't do this if your tour starts that same day - the reception is usually around 6:00 p.m. and you won't be back in time.
  • I visited Halong Bay as an add-on day trip from Hanoi at the end of my trip. The company arranged the trip for 6 of us; round-trip transportation and approximately a four hour sail through Halong Bay on a junk reserved only for us. A wonderful lunch was served. It is a long round-trip, but well worth it if your are able to fit it in.
  • Definitely go! Since pick up is early you can sleep on the ride there. We did this trip this past Dec/Jan. Wonderful! Will be happy to answer any questions.
  • We arrived a few days early and took private driver to Halong Bay and spent the night on a small cruise ship staying in the room with a deck. The cruise took us to two excursions including the caves. Had dinner and breakfast. Took private ride back to Hanoi before tour began. Worth it, if you stay overnight. Long drive.
  • We arrived a few days early and took private driver to Halong Bay and spent the night on a small cruise ship staying in the room with a deck. The cruise took us to two excursions including the caves. Had dinner and breakfast. Took private ride back to Hanoi before tour began. Worth it, if you stay overnight. Long drive. Went between many islands and took small tender into various bays.
  • Definitely go! Since pick up is early you can sleep on the ride there. We did this trip this past Dec/Jan. Wonderful! Will be happy to answer any questions.
    we plan on taking this trip next january. what junk did you take and how did you book it
  • missann

see the post I made back in May (the 13th I think). Don't know the name of the junk, but it was adequate--not fancy, for the day trip. Lunch was good and plentiful and there were only 6 of us. Another group went on a junk named the Jasmine, but they stayed overnight. I think the junks offering overnight trips are fancier.
  • missanne

Failed to mention that I believe the group that went on the Jasmine also posted their booking information--look for Dee Cohen"s post and possibly one other. They all should have posed under the HaLong Bay topic
  • missanne wrote:
    we plan on taking this trip next january. what junk did you take and how did you book it

I have a itinerary with Halong Sail night boat, 2 days 1 night, not expensive but great beacause of awesome sight, friendly cruise team and unique seafood served on boat, about $80 for fix. Ofice operation department number is +84 0333826274, but I can say for sure this number is exist, you can try.
    Nice trip!
  • Calaf wrote:
    I visited Halong Bay as an add-on day trip from Hanoi at the end of my trip. The company arranged the trip for 6 of us; round-trip transportation and approximately a four hour sail through Halong Bay on a junk reserved only for us. A wonderful lunch was served. It is a long round-trip, but well worth it if your are able to fit it in.

We are thinking of doing this trip next spring (2015). Please email me with the details of your add-on to Halong Bay. (sschare@aol.com) When you said "the company" arranged your outing do you mean Tauck, or someone else. We are looking forward to this trip but hope that it will not be as difficult as some previous posts imply.

I would love to hear about this trip as we are thinking of going spring 2015. Please email sschare@aol.com
  • Definitely Halong Bay - Vietnam is very worthwhile for traveling in Asia.. There ar so many Tour Operators out there & it's so hard to for to make a decision abt kind of best cruise u wanna book. The range of 3star cruise in Halong Bay with cheap price & good service such as: Gingle Cruise, V'spirit, Pelican Cruise, Calypso Cruise, Legacy Cruise

Do hope above 's useful information for you!!!
  • missanne wrote:

We are booked on the January 30, 2015 departure and arrive in Hanoi on Jan 28.

We are scheduled to take the overnight trip to Halong Bay on the 29, arriving back in Hanoi about 3 PM or earlier in time to rest and change for the welcome dinner at 6:30. It will be tiring few days after such a long flight, but we plan to get a good nights sleep at the Metropole and can always sleep on the bus to Halong Bay, and cat nap on the boat and the ride back to Hanoi.

A previous Tauck tour guide of ours suggested that we book our cruise through Bhaya cruises. Their price is definitely higher than the one quoted by Francesca, but it sounds wonderful and comes with a good recommendation. They offer shuttle service for $20pp or a private car (their driver) for about $180. We would be interested in the private car if we can find any other Tauck travelers to share the expense
    Whether or not you plan to cruise with us, if you are on this tour you can email me at sschare@2aol.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file