Options

Using the Tauck Duffel Bag Only.

In doing a trial packing, it looks like we could pack everything in the Tauck duffel bags and use them as carry-on for the entire trip. Meeting the inter-flight weight restriction is not a problem. Has anyone done this? Any pros or cons on this idea? ~Scott T.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I just want to know how you can fit everything you need for an African safari into a duffel! Particularly with the international fluid rules! Are you only travelling for a week? Tell us how to do this? Please? I really need to know this.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    We did the Botswana, South Africa & Zambia tour with only a carry-on suitcase, a bag that fits under the seat and carrying on our jackets. Use a line of clothing such as Travex, which is very light weight and can be rinsed out and will be dry the next day. For dressier clothes, Chico's has a nice line of travel clothing for women. You can also find lots of things on line. Also, stick with one color scheme. I packed four pairs of pants, two pairs of capris, 5 short sleeve blouses, 4 long sleeve blouses, two thermal long sleeve shirts, a thin down vest, three sets of undergarments such as ex-officio, which can be rinsed out in the evening, nightgown, warmer PJs, bathing suit, sneakers, sandals. Also brought a camera, iPad, binoculars, vitamins, and had enough room for a few souvenirs coming home. For liquids, I buy small plastic travel size bottles and use them for a two or three week supply of face cream, makeup remover, or whatever liquids you need. The other things I use non-liquids, such as deodorant, makeup, and I make use of the hotels shampoo and conditioner. My husband also travels with only a carry-on. He buys travel size shave cream, toothpaste, etc. Same quantities of pants and shirts. The Africa trip was easy to pack for, as the safari camps do your laundry for you. Its better to use a hard sided case as it compresses the clothes, doesn't expand, and will always fit if the size is checked. Also, no worries about lost luggage. Most airlines do not weigh the carry-ons. It took a little practice, but now that's the only way we travel.
  • Options
    Wow, sidecar and Scott T., you guys are both clearly better packers than I am. Bravo! Sidecar, thank you so much for the advice, and Scott, please share your secret! :)

-Tim
  • Options
    Gosh, Sidecar! Great tips. Mostly I know this, but it's a case of more honoured in the breach, than in the observance. I usually travel for 5 or 6 weeks at a time and work on the principle of … why carry something myself if the cost of my ticket includes my luggage! I just don't see the necessity to make long haul travel any more of a physical lugging ordeal for a single female traveller than it already is. I don't have your very real advantage of being part of a team effort.

Unfortunately, we don't have Chico's in Australia, although I am familiar with them. I have been known to plot my US accommodation for the proximity to Coldwater Creek stores (how I do miss them) and more recently Chico's!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Hi Sidecar, we use a lot of the same techniques you described. What was the size of the hard-sided case you used? Did that case work OK under the seat for the on-tour flights in the small aircraft, or did you have to use the Tauck duffel bag? Thanks, Scott T.
  • Options
    Hi Scott and Jan, the case we use for under the seat is not hard sided. It is 12" high, 14"long and 9" deep. It has a sleeve which fits over the handle of our hard sided luggage, which has wheels and is 21"x14"x8", so the two bags are like one piece. We do not use the Tauck bag as it is too awkward to carry, and the wheeled luggage is much easier. That way we are not carrying anything. The Tauck bag should fold flat at the bottom of your suitcase, or perhaps you could ask Tauck to have it for you at your destination rather than mailing it to you.
  • Options
    Scott T wrote:
    In doing a trial packing, it looks like we could pack everything in the Tauck duffel bags and use them as carry-on for the entire trip. Meeting the inter-flight weight restriction is not a problem. Has anyone done this? Any pros or cons on this idea? ~Scott T.

We did the Classic Safari withe the two Tauck duffels, two small back packs, and a rollaboard. We checked one duffel with the liquids, and after arrival had no need for the rollaboard, which we used as a cart for the duffel we carried aboard. Fourth trip we have done that way ... works perfectly.
  • Options
    Yep, I agree.....Did this trip last August 2013....had room left over and by rolling socks inside shoes, etc.....plenty! Trip of a lifetime! enjoy!
  • Options
    Yep, I agree.....Did this trip last August 2013....had room left over and by rolling socks inside shoes, etc.....plenty! Trip of a lifetime! enjoy!
  • Options
    We are back from the fantastic trip, so one last post to close out the thread. We each ended up using one bag that would fit under the airline seats and one larger carry on that fits in the overhead compartments. We chose bags that conformed to the most restrictive airline (Comair to Livingstone). We packed the Tauck duffels inside the larger bag. When the time came, we simply put our larger bags into the duffels.

We had asked Tauck if we could skip the duffels altogether. By phone they said we had to use them. By email (which I received at the airport waiting for the first flight) they said we didn't have to use them. Now that we've done the trip, I thinks it's best to use the duffels. Helps the folks loading and transport the bags to know they're all with the same group.

We were able to do the entire trip with the four carry on bags at about 15 pounds a piece, and still packed a few things we never used. Due to the light load, we did have to make use of laundry services (or do our own) a few times, but that worked out just fine at all locations. ~ Scott T.