Options

Amount and Type of Walking

I understand that there are several walking tours included in the itinerary. How much of this walking is doing on cobblestoned streets? The reason I am asking is that we just returned from Romantic Germany and my husband had difficulties walking on cobblestones when he was much better on pavement. He has arthritis and type II diabetes, which makes his feet more sensitive. Thanks for any advice/information.

Comments

• Options
    I understand that there are several walking tours included in the itinerary. How much of this walking is doing on cobblestoned streets? The reason I am asking is that we just returned from Romantic Germany and my husband had difficulties walking on cobblestones when he was much better on pavement. He has arthritis and type II diabetes, which makes his feet more sensitive. Thanks for any advice/information.

Hi Susan from NJ,

According to the Tour Manager, modest fitness and mobility are required.

· Typical activities: Walking tours, museum visits, nature walks over level, maintained trails, river rafting (no paddling required).
    · Walking requirements: Guests should be capable of climbing one or more flights of stairs and walking over primarily level ground. Some uneven surfaces (e.g. cobblestones) may be encountered.
    · Walking/standing duration: Up to one hour at a time.

Not sure there are more or less cobbled stone streets than your visit to Germany.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Could I make another suggestion, Susan? Make sure your DH has shoes with well-cushioned soles. They definitely make a difference in dealing with European cobblestones. Another suggestion ... although you might think this is overkill ... is a walking pole or other type of foldable/collapsable walking stick. You may not use it often, if at all, but it gives a wonderful sense personal insurance. I speak from experience!

Also, the TDs on the day can give you very detailed assistance regarding the route for the day. They will be able to make suggestions for slight deviations to a route, perhaps, that might work better for you. You can also do a lot of very detailed research on Google Maps. Forewarned is forearmed!

I do hope you are able to make this trip. It's a delightful part of the world.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Hi Tauck Emily, Your response intrigues me as we are taking the similar tour titled "Cruising the Seine plus….". Is there really river rafting (without paddling) on these trips? It wouldn't be a problem for us as we've done river rafting down rapids before but I was surprised by the mention of river rafting. Might cause me to throw my water-proof shoes in the suitcase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file