dress code-Budapest to Amsterdam

We are scheduled on the 8/1/15 river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. Since this is our 1st river cruise, we would like to know about the dress code both during the day and evening. All help will be appreciated.

Comments

• I answered your question on the other thread, Kathy! Basically day wear is for comfort & practicality. Have a great trip.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hi Kathy,
    We took this trip last October and I can't tell you how excited for you I am. You're gonna love this!

#1..I'm so glad we took this route and ended in AMS, and I really preferred that route. Started nice and slow, ended with a bang! Our mistake: we should have stayed in AMS a day or so. By the way, we had perfect weather the entire time. Only Cologne had minor sprinkles.

Now for the dress. Everything is very casual. For dinner I wore slacks and a blouse/sweater. Sometimes I wore my denim pants and long sleeve t-shirt. My husband wore collard shirts (knits, cotton, etc.) and casual pants the entire time. He did bring a dinner jacket/slacks for the dinner in Vienna, shirt and tie too. But there were many men who wore nice sweaters and slacks (again-this was Oct.). I wore black slacks, black paten shoes and a dressy top, which I also wore on the Captains Night. None of this was totally necessary. I just like to dress once in a while so this was a great chance. Tauck wants you to be happy, and for us, comfortable is happy.

Our directors were the best in the fleet, I do hope you have Dena, Joe and Carlos-Cruise Director. They were so much fun, I feel like we laughed non-stop.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have, I know you'll have a wonderful time.
  • Hi MonaD,

Thanks for speaking up! I'm so glad to hear you had a good time on your trip!

-Tim
  • We are scheduled on the 8/1/15 river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. Since this is our 1st river cruise, we would like to know about the dress code both during the day and evening. All help will be appreciated.

Hi Kathy

I am booked on the same cruise that you are, so I am pleased that you've asked about the dress code, as I was wondering about that too.

Sue.
  • What about shoes MonaD? Tennis shoes for walking tours? Is there a lot of cobblestone/uneven surfaces during walking tours, or pretty flat? My wife is unsure if flat sole slip-ons will work, or better to have more cushioned shoe?
    Thanks
  • I'd suggest a more cushioned sole. Those cobblestones can be hard on your feet and legs. Save the flats for regular footpaths.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Absolutely! Cushioned sole shoes. There is a lot of walking and the surfaces are not always easy to navigate. Lots of cobblestones and rough surfaces outdoors. I have a bad ankle so I wear a support but had no issues. Have a great time! We're off to the Alps and Dolomites in Sept.
  • We are scheduled on the 8/1/15 river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. Since this is our 1st river cruise, we would like to know about the dress code both during the day and evening. All help will be appreciated.

My wife and I just returned from this excellent cruise. You are going to have a great time. I know from reading these forum posts that a number of men do not want to bring a coat and tie and I did not bring one on our Tauck tours to China and Ireland. But I did bring one on this cruise and was glad I did. The dinner in Vienna is pretty special and almost all of the men wore jackets and most had ties. I think you will find that the venue, the meal and the entertainment warrant a bit of dressing up. Other than that most men wore dockers and sport shirts for regular meals. The meals on the Treasures were very nice by the way. Lastly I would definitely recommend that you bring tennis shoes or other good walking shoes for the excursions. There is a good bit of walking and the surfaces can be very uneven.

I hope you have as good luck with the weather as we did. This was a very enjoyable cruise.

Greg Jones
  • edited July 2015
    My wife and I just returned from this excellent cruise. You are going to have a great time. I know from reading these forum posts that a number of men do not want to bring a coat and tie and I did not bring one on our Tauck tours to China and Ireland. But I did bring one on this cruise and was glad I did. The dinner in Vienna is pretty special and almost all of the men wore jackets and most had ties. I think you will find that the venue, the meal and the entertainment warrant a bit of dressing up. Other than that most men wore dockers and sport shirts for regular meals. The meals on the Treasures were very nice by the way. Lastly I would definitely recommend that you bring tennis shoes or other good walking shoes for the excursions. There is a good bit of walking and the surfaces can be very uneven.

I hope you have as good luck with the weather as we did. This was a very enjoyable cruise.

Greg Jones

I agree with the above, though myself I also wore black jeans as well which I find are dressier than blue jeans.
    Basically dress the same way you would as if you are going out for a nice dinner except for the fancy dinner in Wien (Vienna) and the captains dinner. For those dress up a bit more.
    As for shoes for walking on the land tours, if your runners have room buy a pair of Dr.Scholl or similar brand insoles to give you better cushioning yet!

Also when we left Budapest it was hotter than Hades, somewhere along the Rein (Rhine) river it stared to get noticeably cooler. If you can squeeze a small folding umbrella into your suitcase it might be a good idea to bring one. There where a limited number of umbrellas aboard for you to borrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file