Much noise at night on the lower deck category 1 rooms?

My sister and I are booked for the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise for May 2016. We will each have our own cabins, so that will be nice but I was wondering if there is much engine noise down there, enough to keep you awake at any rate. The only negative review I read about this cruise (and I have read quite a few), was the noise in the category 1 cabins. I know going through locks is bound to be noisy, I was just wondering if the lady was overly sensitive or it was really a problem. I have never been to Europe and we are going for my 60th birthday. I know it is early days but am quite excited about it. I did a lot of research and Tauck came out on top, so I am sure it will be wonderful. Just wondering if earplugs might be in order.

Comments

• I have taken 2 river cruises in cat 1 and did not have an issue with the noise.
  • I agree with crackers54 that there is no noise problem. Just came back from the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise.

But my advice would be to get to Amsterdam 2 - 3 days before, not only to do some exploring on your own, but to get used to the 6 hours time difference if you are coming from North America. Could be even worse if coming from further west.
    Just my thoughts
  • We are doing an extra day in Prague after the trip. What would you recommend to do that is NOT covered with the regular tours planned. Thank you in advance.
  • We've been on 3 Tauck riverboat vacations & always have booked that category & stayed in #103 or #105, the only internal noise came from passengers who had come down the steps to go to their cabins & talked while going to theirs. Yes if locks, you will hear that noise unless you are a really really sound sleeper ! Enjoy your 1st Tauck experience !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file