Just returned from Empire of the Incas some info for Oct. travelers

For those asking about Oct. weather, we lucked out drizzle one morning sunny the rest of the trip. 30-40 at night 60-70's during the day.

There is no need for Yellow fever unless going onto other areas but not for Bolivia entry.

Also no need to bring only $20 bills for Bolivian Visa, much easier to bring unmarked and non torn $50 or $100 , but good for purchasing items when you do not have sols or boliviano's. Unmarked non torn dollars are taken everywhere and sometimes they offer a discount.

Dress- certainly layers including short sleeves, I did not have enough for the warm weather we had. So athletic hiking type clothing is easiest.

Most people did dress up the last night for farewell party, I did casual dress.

The duffel bags for machu picchu could be shared. It took up lots of suitcase space when one might have sufficed for the two of us.

There were crazy sand flies at Machu Picchu that bit everyone and drew blood. Within minutes uncovered skin was fair game. So long sleeves, bug repellent and movement stopping increases the chance of being bitten. Getting up for the second day at sunrise was worth the effort. Only 6 of us went but it was truly a lifetime experience to see the ruins in a different light with less people.

Hotel in Puno is least luxurious and food as well as service not as good as all the other hotels. Plus two nights in a row you eat there.

At Monasterio Hotel you can do laundry at a discount flat rate per kilo. Very handy and wish they would have told us ahead of time.

The La Paz cable car is an amazing entry into the city. The airport is extremely small with very few seats.

I thought the 10 hour train ride was relaxing however not everyone felt this way.

For those thinking of the trip it is wonderful but it can be very tiring. The Inca's were quite the civilization.
The trip is non stop between long travel days and activities but well worth it.

Comments

• Did you have to pay a departure tax at the airport to leave La Paz?
  • No there was no departure tax it is now incorporated in the airline ticket as I understood before it was a separate tax.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file