Options

Diamox

I am planning to bring Diamox (for altitude) for my wife and myself, however, I have heard both positive and negative of this med. Some say they would never take it again due to frequent awakenings at night for urination. Others say they would not go to these altitudes without Diamox. The nay-sayers said to chew cocoa leaves. Any comments from anyone? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Caveat: I am not a health professional!

Morn'n', Cap'n.

I don't do well at even low ... high altitudes, so when I took the National Parks of the South West trip a few years ago, and being mindful of how well I didn't fare in Glacier National Park, my general practitioner and I sorted out Diamox. The dosage is important and the trick is to start taking the stuff before you reach "altitude". For me, I took half a tablet each morning and night. (I took a nifty pill cutter with me.) This should help prevent the middle of the night wanderings because you should have been wandering before you get to great heights. The instructions are to continue taking the medication until you have reached your maximum altitude.

I found that any kind of carbonated or fizzy drink tasted really foul. No problem, considering the alternative. I drank wine and bottled water. You are in South America where they make some excellent wines, so that's a plus! I did find some tingling in the finger tips, which was more annoying than anything. I don't recall any other "nasties". All in all, the medication meant I could actually walk to see the stunning views at Angel Point, which was a lot better than some other passengers who couldn't leave the bus at picture stops. It didn't make me any fitter, I hasten to add. I still had to struggle a little bit, but that was down t me not having been to boot camp. At least I could see what I had travelled across half the world to see.

One other thing altitude does to me is to reduce my eyesight ... in that I become very much more short-sighted. I have to take some stronger readers with me and then be careful to ween myself off them when I return to my normal sea level home. I found that when using Diamox, I didn't need the stronger glass I'd packed. I understand this is not a common side effect of altitude but no point telling my eyes that!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    We visited China and Tibet several years ago with a small tour company with a small group of only 16 people.. We were at 12,000 plus feet altitude in Tibet. We started taking Diamox two days before we reached that altitude and continued to take it for about two days after we returned to a lower altitude. Neither of us had any problems from the altitude, although a few in our group who had not taken it had difficulties for at least a few hours after we arrived in Lhasa. They eventually were able to adjust to the altitude. Neither of us had problems with excessive night time urination, although I had problems with sleeping on a mattress that was so hard that I thought I was sleeping on a board!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the Diamox comments. Very appreciated. Capt Bligh
  • Options
    I travelled to this area in the 80's and when we arrived in Cuzco (situated at a very high altitude at the foothills of the journey to Machu Picchu) we were told that it would be important for us to have a rest ... actually lie down in the hotel to acclimate ourselves. In addition, we were encouraged to "drink the tea" that was provided ... it was brewed from the cocoa leaves. It was recommended strongly by the tour guide and locals. Much has changed in several decades. But I intend to ask my physician what he would suggest. Personally, I would prefer a "natural" product. Exploring these aides beforehand is wise, however. I applaud you for opening the conversation to both alert others and to share thoughts. Health is #1... Happy Travels!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file