Options

undecided

We have been on several land, small cruise, river cruise Tauck tours in the past. We are looking into Jan 2017 Cruising Down under West bound NZ/AU cruise which is 19 days vrs Grand Australia New Zealand which is 20 days. Cost aside, which btw, the cruise seems to be substatially higher but apparently covers more, I was wondering which would be a better options. I know alot has to do with personal preferences but being that this is the only continent that we have not visited, I would welcome input from Tauck Travellers, and please note that I do not say recomendations, as that is very delicate. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    Hi Fernando,

I reply as an Australian, living in Melbourne, who has made over 20 trips with Tauck in North & South America and Europe. Since I would not choose to travel with an American guided group in either Australia or New Zealand, my comments are more in the line of the content of the 2 trips you mention.

As I read the itinerary for the westbound cruise, it is an excellent itinerary for New Zealand ... with a quick side trip to Australia's tropical north. It is not a tour of Australia. This cruise itinerary (either here with Ponant of with other cruise lines) does sell very well into the local Australian market. I doubt I'd ever take this trip because I wouldn't trust myself with the Tasman Sea ... or anywhere near it ... but that's just me! The Ponant section of the itinerary gives an excellent itinerary for NZ. It's a French line and therefore very cosmopolitan. I know that style does not always appeal to American travellers. Still, they've been working with Tauck for quite a while and I know both companies work very well together. If I could wave a wand and fling some fairy dust around, I'd tell people to combine the cruise with the Spotlight on Australia.

The Grand Australia & NZ gives a brief introduction to some of the travel icons that are most popular with foreigners. This trip is not a tour of either Australia of New Zealand ... it gives a brief introduction to some parts of both countries. It is a good introduction for subsequent, more detailed travels. As you know, the "lower 48" fits inside Australia, so you will already appreciate that Australia is a big place! It's much too big to see or experience in 11 days. But hey, it's a great start. The same goes for NZ. Yes, I do appreciate the geographical mass is much smaller, but 11 days would barely be enough for the North Island, let alone both islands!

None of this is a recommendation. This is merely my well researched and experienced personal opinion.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Jan,
    Thank you for taking the time to read my queerie and for your prompt and candid reply.
    I agree with you that 11,15, 20 days or more is not sufficient to cover such a vast area.
    I am hoping to get a good birds eye view of these two amazing countries with the intent of hopefully some day coming back.
    Due to limited time available, I will need to make the best of what time I do have.
    When comparing both tours, which both seem to be very well put together, it would appear from a convenience point of view; ie, packing and unpacking, moving around, etc, it would appear that the cruise tour provides an advantage.
    I have travelled on this line before with Tauck´s Treausure of South East Asia(southbound) tour and was very pleased with the ship, the cabin, the food, the drinks and great service.
    I guess I am still a little dazed and confused.......decisions decisions decisions!!!!!!
  • Options
    I appreciate Jdurkin's input; I had already come to the same conclusion about these tours but appreciate the feedback of a native of the area. I looked at the Australia/New Zealand land tour but it did seem superficial so I booked the westbound "Cruising Down Under" tour departing on January 29, 2017 and concluding in Sydney on February 16. Then I fly that day to Melbourne to join the "Spotlight on Australia" tour for a more intensive (but I realize just a scratch) view of Australia. There is an overlap of these trips in Melbourne sites but I will use that extra day to book an independent tour of the "Great Ocean Road" that is highly recommended. I realize this combination of tours takes about a month so may not be suited for everyone but if you have the luxury of open time I think this is a good way to get an overview of both countries.
  • Options
    Smarks 56,
    Envious of your available time, I would do the same as you are doing.
    We may be on the Cruise
  • Options
    Happy to help, Fernando. Please ask if you need any further help.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Smarks50, we will definetly be on the same cruise/trip. Arriving in AKL two days early. See you.
  • Options
    Fernando: I leave SFO on January 25 via Air New Zealand and arrive in Auckland the morning of January 27. I am resting that day then have booked a tour to the Bay of Islands the next day. I look forward to meeting you at our welcome dinner on Sunday, January 29th. I retire in two weeks and can't wait for this holiday!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file