Options

Switzerland Crown Jewel question

My wife and I will be on the Crown Jewel tour in June of 2017. Does anyone know if the tour takes you through the Lauterbrunnen Valley? I've read the full itinerary and it's not mentioned but I don't know if that means you at least don't travel through the valley. The online images of the valley look inviting and I think it's a place we would enjoy visiting.

Comments

• Options
    John, When I was on this tour a few years ago, we went to the Jungfraujoch via train on the Grindelwald route and returned via the Lauterbrunner-Wengen route. In looking at the tour map, it appears that this is still the case. This is great because the scenery on the Lauterbrunner-Wengen route is breathtaking.
    Have a wonderful trip.
  • Options
    We just returned from the Crown Jewel tour in late September. You take the train up to Jungfraujoch via Grinderwald . A train change in Kleine Scheidegg takes you through the Eiger to the top of the world. After an hour or two you then travel back to Kleine Scheidegg where you change trains and return to Interlaken via Lauterbrunnen. It is spectacular! You do not leave the train except for Jungfraujoch and train changes at Kleine Scheidegg.

For a real thrill when you return to the the Victoria Jungfrau Hotel book a tandem parasail jump which takes about two hours from pickup in front of the hotel to return. The last one is about 4:00 PM depending on the time of sunset.
  • Options
    Golly Gee and Buzz48, thank you for your replies. We are looking forward to our trip in June. The parasail jump sounds interesting. I may need to look into that.
  • Options
    Buzz48 wrote:
    We just returned from the Crown Jewel tour in late September. You take the train up to Jungfraujoch via Grinderwald . A train change in Kleine Scheidegg takes you through the Eiger to the top of the world. After an hour or two you then travel back to Kleine Scheidegg where you change trains and return to Interlaken via Lauterbrunnen. It is spectacular! You do not leave the train except for Jungfraujoch and train changes at Kleine Scheidegg.

For a real thrill when you return to the the Victoria Jungfrau Hotel book a tandem parasail jump which takes about two hours from pickup in front of the hotel to return. The last one is about 4:00 PM depending on the time of sunset.

We are taking this excursion as part of a river cruise up the Rhine(Basel-Amsterdam) in May 2017. We are active healthy seniors. What was your experience with the altitude during the train ride at "at the top". Also, did Tauck provide any additional alpine gear or did you bring your own? Since the rest of the trip is at lower altitudes and warmer temperature I would hate to bring unnecessary clothing. Of course, I understand that our weather might still be cool and I will have plenty of things that I can layer.
  • Options
    I am almost 70 and have respiratory problems. I did not experience any additional problems with the high altitude. We were there in late September and the temperature at the top was around the 32 degree F range. Most people had on a light to medium coat and were comfortable. It was a sunny day and the weather was perfect. As "they" say, layer when in doubt.

Tauck did not issue any special gear or clothing and none was really needed. You only need comfortable/warm walking shoes. The outside observation area consisted of packed snow and was easily walkable in street shoes. Most of the activity is inside of the glacier which was like walking on an ice rink or in the visitor center which was concrete. You can remain inside the visitor center and are not required to go to the outside viewing area if you are not comfortable doing so.
  • Options
    Shescha,

In reading the itinerary for the Rhine: Basel to Amsterdam, I see that you visit Mt Pilatus, which is only 7,000 ft. The "Top of the World" event is at Jungfraujoch which is a totally different location and is 11,000 ft.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    Buzz48 wrote:
    Shescha,

In reading the itinerary for the Rhine: Basel to Amsterdam, I see that you visit Mt Pilatus, which is only 7,000 ft. The "Top of the World" event is at Jungfraujoch which is a totally different location and is 11,000 ft.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your reply, BUT, we do visit the Jungfrau on this trip. the Mt. Pilatus excursion is on the other river cruise that goes through Switzerland. I found the Tauck brochure confusing on this point also.
  • Options
    Golly Gee wrote:
    John, When I was on this tour a few years ago, we went to the Jungfraujoch via train on the Grindelwald route and returned via the Lauterbrunner-Wengen route. In looking at the tour map, it appears that this is still the case. This is great because the scenery on the Lauterbrunner-Wengen route is breathtaking.
    Have a wonderful trip.
    I lifed Grindelwald even more. We went back to grindelwald one zear late, next autumn and rented a hut for two weeks. It was a wonderful time there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file