Canyonlands Sept 2 - Photography

I'm very excited about the photography opportunities during this trip. My question concerns tripods. Is it worthwhile to bring one? And can I leave it on the bus when not needed? I'd hate to be lugging it around everywhere. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• I haven't taken this particular trip. Maybe a photographer who has will add to my post. My thoughts are based on my experience with Tauck, tripods, and the Southwest (I live in Vegas).

Tripods will be most useful before and after the days tour. Those morning and evening "magic" hours. There's plenty of light during the day to take a handheld shot, even if you stop it down to get depth of field. The only time you might need a tripod during the day is if you are taking a motion blur picture of moving water or if you want a selfie of yourself. The selfie can be handled by asking someone on the tour to snap the picture. So you probably won't need it on the bus. Also, photo stops on the bus tend to be short, so you wouldn't want to hold people up fiddling with a tripod. However, carrying a tripod on the bus shouldn't be a problem.

When I travel with Tauck, I sometimes bring a travel tripod. It collapses small enough to fit easily inside my checked bag, but gets me enough height (about 5 feet) to take good landscape shots. It would also be easily carried on the bus. I use a Dolica TX570. There are better ones from Manfrotto and Gitzo, if you're willing to spend the money.

One thing you'll want to be sure to take is a polarizing filter. It can do a lot to improve that crappy mid-day desert light.

Hope this helps. Happy travels!
  • Thanks Ken. Good advice!
  • edited August 2017
    I have been on this trip and Ken's advice is excellent. If you are a serious photographer, you will probably want a tripod. There is a lot of free time in early mornings and late afternoons on this trip when you can fiddle with your tripod and exposure times and not be holding anyone up. The views are just stunning.
  • edited August 2017
    Hi I did that trip last year early September. You will certainly get lots of great photo ops. In some locations you would have trouble with a tripod because of walls or rails. Sometimes for sunrise - at Bryce for example - there were so many people at the prime spot you wouldn't be able to set it up. Personally I think you can get the shots without one but if you have a light portable one you will find opportunities to use it.

Enjoy it's a fabulous trip! There are a few shots on my Instagram account - missmaddie57 if you want a look - I took about 3000 shots I think ????????

• Thanks everyone. And missmaddie57, great photos!
  • Oh my heavens miss maddie makes me want to go west again. Am sharing with my husband... NOW! Thank you!!
  • Glad you liked them. I'm going on the Australia/New Zealand trip in September so check back for more!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file