Options

How good are the included meals?

The Canadian Rockies and Glacier National Park tour includes most meals. Are the meals mostly at the hotels where you stay, or in restaurants in the surrounding towns? How good are the meals? Are you limited in your choices?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    We did this itinerary with Tauck a few years ago, and this is what we remember: The food at the lodges at Glacier National Park was just average; there was only one restaurant in each lodge. But once we got to the 3 Fairmont Hotels, there was a choice of restaurants in each hotel, and the food was excellent. While we were on the bus heading to each new place, our guide described the various restaurants in the next hotel, and we got to choose which one we wanted. She called ahead to make our reservations. We did not have to eat together, and we did not have to eat at the same time.

At Lake Louise, we chose the Tom Wilson's Steakhouse which we enjoyed immensely. I made a note in my journal about delicious appetizers and steaks. In Jasper, we chose the Edith Cavell dining room which had a very unique menu. The second night we chose the Moose's Nook, and I wrote that it had wonderful music & dancing as well as excellent food. We could order from the menu and just sign the check.

Dinner was not included on our first night in Banff, so a whole group of us walked into town and had a Chinese feast at the Silver Dragon. The food was fabulous, and we were able to order and taste alot of different dishes because we were 10 in the group. The next night, everyone ate together at the farewell dinner in the Bow Valley Grill in the Banff Springs Hotel.

Lunch stops on the road were very good. Everyone ate together.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Have a great trip!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The first lunch on the road was at the Prince of Wales Hotel, Waterton National Park, Alberta. I would describe the meal as old-fashioned, country hotel cooking. Very 50s, but a perfectly nice, old-style dining-room experience. The next two National Park hotels are in such remote locations, there really are issues in reaching, then maintaining Tauck's normally very high standards. And the season is so very short. There are enormous logistical issues to deal with. That said, last July when I was at Many Glacier Hotel, they were renovating the kitchens, I seem to remember. I don't know how they managed to do that and still maintain business as usual. Granted, the food was not haute cuisine, but that's not why you go to Glacier National Park! I remember having a very pleasant, if not exotic, meal the next night at Lake MacDonald Lodge. Mind you, that's not quite as remote as the the other NP hotel. Once you get back into Alberta, the quality, choice and ambience spikes at the Fairmont hotels.

All things considered, I'd say it was varied ;), but pretty darn good, especially in Alberta. This isn't billed as a foodie's experience, but this particular foodie definitely enjoyed it!

PS... Interesting that the system would let you post Edith Cavell!
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your quick replies!

• Options
    Glad to help! I hope the information is useful.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.