Options

Yellow Stone Trip Travel Conditions

I would like to take the Yellowstone trip, but my wife has a great fear of heights especilly while on the road. My question is even though we are going through the mountains are ther many places where she would feel like we were going to fall of the road. this is aserious concern for her.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Hi Dick,

I did this trip, the north to south version, in 2005. I realise that was a while ago now, but I've been sitting here trying to recall any "mountain drives", with any roads clinging to the sides, so to speak. I know that sounds silly, because of the general altitude of the Yellowstone area, but this is how I remember the trip. We approached from the Black Hills, and I'd describe these as hills, more than mountains ;). We seemed to climb very gently up to a plateau level, with mountains all around. If you think of the geography of Lake Yellowstone and where Old Faithful is, it's a basin surrounded by mountains. You're looking at them, rather than driving through them. Further on, near the Grand Tetons, again it was a case of the mountains being over there, way up high, but with us way down .... no mountain roads there. Then on the way through Idaho towards Utah, the roads were more hilly than mountainous, as I recall. I have probably put this badly, but is was more of a case of being surrounded by mountains all the time, rather than actually being in them.

I hope this might help a bit and that you and your wife can make this trip. It's a wonderful experience.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.