Bostwana, South Africa & Zambia - Wine Country Add On Advice

Just booked for 2019. Still a ways off but wondering if anyone who has done this tour has added on a visit to the wine country - either as a day trip or for a number of nights. Considering adding an extra night at the end of the tour and doing just a day tour right now as not sure we want to deal with logistics of renting car driving etc. And then having to get back to Cape Town Airport. Thoughts?

Comments

• My husband and I with some friends did this trip last September. We went in a day early and added two days at the One and Only after the tour ended. Looking back, we could have only added one since flights are late in the evening, so you pick up a day there. We did a wine tour. She picked the six of us up at the hotel and took us to four wineries. Had lunch at one of them. It was a cool, windy, rainy day, so we didn't walk the grounds much. But we had fun sampling the different wines.

• Thank you...I think one day will be fine as August / September weather probably isn't the best in Cape Town/Wine area. We focused more on weather for Botswana planning than Cape Town. Hard to always get it right :)
  • I agree, we chose dates based on the Botswana portion. We had great weather throughout the trip. One cool, windy evening in Kalahari and one cool, rainy day in Cape Town. Otherwise, fantastic.
  • My husband and I went on this tour in September, 2016. We added two days at the beginning and two days at the end of the tour. On one of the days at the end, we hired a guide who took us two four wineries with lunch at a quaint restaurant at one of the wineries. The second day we hired a guide who took us through the beautiful countryside with several stops along the way to Hermanus, where we went on a whale-watching trip. It was unbelievable! We stopped counting the number of whales breaching when we reached 32; it was so awesome, and I highly recommend it it you are staying long enough.

The Botswana, Zambia, South Africa tour was truly the trip of a lifetime for us. We have been on 8 Tauck tours, and this one offered the most amazing experiences we have ever had on any trip!
  • Can't wait. Thank you responses. HuntNfun - surprised on the whale watching as I thought September was not a great month for that... guess I need to do more research and consider adding more days at the end of trip to include a day trip like you did!
  • We did a one day tour to the winelands with Ulungele Tours and had a wonderful time. Another experience was a tour to several townships with Uthando. They are a non-profit in Cape Town and the cost of the tour goes toward supporting their cause. Highly recommend both if time allows.
  • HuntNfun wrote:
    My husband and I went on this tour in September, 2016. We added two days at the beginning and two days at the end of the tour. On one of the days at the end, we hired a guide who took us two four wineries with lunch at a quaint restaurant at one of the wineries. The second day we hired a guide who took us through the beautiful countryside with several stops along the way to Hermanus, where we went on a whale-watching trip. It was unbelievable! We stopped counting the number of whales breaching when we reached 32; it was so awesome, and I highly recommend it it you are staying long enough.

The Botswana, Zambia, South Africa tour was truly the trip of a lifetime for us. We have been on 8 Tauck tours, and this one offered the most amazing experiences we have ever had on any trip!

HuntNfun - Can you provide the name of the tour guide that you used? We are going in July of this year and want to do the same as you for the two days extra we are staying in Cape Town. Thank you.
  • Crackeroo wrote:
    My husband and I with some friends did this trip last September. We went in a day early and added two days at the One and Only after the tour ended. Looking back, we could have only added one since flights are late in the evening, so you pick up a day there. We did a wine tour. She picked the six of us up at the hotel and took us to four wineries. Had lunch at one of them. It was a cool, windy, rainy day, so we didn't walk the grounds much. But we had fun sampling the different wines.

Crackeroo - Can you recommend the tour guide that you used for the wine tour? Thank you!
  • My husband and I took this tour several years ago and it is still my favorite! We hired Julie Clarke with Cape Splendor Tours & Safaris. She is wonderful and will work with you to providing the best experience for you.
  • While on the Elegant Adventure tour, one of our nights was a stop at Steenburg's Farm & Winery. If you are doing a winery tour, I highly recommend this as a meal stop. We had a wine pairing dinner there, the food was fabulous!
  • mgfund26,

We went on the whale-watching tour with Jacqui Braunlich of Cape by Design Tours. She took us along the scenic coastal route to Hermanus. We stopped at a garden to view the beautiful flowers and landscape, stopped at different places along the coast, and then went on the whale watching trip. The company was Southern Right Charters, and, as I said, it was an awesome experience.

If you have additional questions, feel free to email me at

ehunt71970@yahoo.com.