Options

Packing for 10 days-Italian Lakes with only 1 suitcase

Okay ladies, I need your help. When my husband and I travel, we always seem to end up with several suitcases due to my outfits/shoes/toiletries/purses, etc. Even limiting purses and shoes to 2 each, with 2 sets of clothes per day (tour daywear and dinner nightwear), how can you get it all in one suitcase and also stay within weight limit? Suggestions? I realize it's all about packing smart and you can mix/match items for use more than once but items worn directly on skin such as blouses during the day I wouldn't be able to use again...so 20 outfits in one suitcase with weight restrictions is getting me worried. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    On Taulk Tours you really don't need a new outfit for every evening - two or three outfits a bit dressy that can be switched around (add scarf or costume jewelry) is generally plenty. Also, you really can rotate daytime wear as well - no one goes on these tours for a fashion show so just rinse out a few things every couple of days or take advantage of hotel laundry. The tour director usually tells you the best of the hotels to engage this service. It really is liberating to pack lightly and not be constantly pawing through a suitcase looking for something, especially when you are moving hotels every few days. Cut your outfits in half, at least, and you will still have plenty to wear. (Travel advice is always take half the stuff and double the money ...)

I really worried about this before my first tour then quickly realized everyone was having too much fun to worry about what to wear or what others were wearing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the packing tips smarks50.
  • Options
    After one trip with lost luggage (a week in France with no luggage for us) you will quickly become a convert
    to the packing light camp. We went on the Tauck Classic Italy for 2 weeks plus 3 extra days with a carry-on each,
    and it was GREAT not to have to worry about lost luggage, (happened to several in our tour), "pawing through suitcases each day"' etc. And almost everyone commented that we looked like we had on a different outfit every day/evening. Yes, you do have to mix & match, but by taking very lightweight first layers, wearing your heaviest sweater, etc.on the plane and wearing the same dressier slacks with different silk blouses for evening, you will have plenty of options.
    As the earlier commentator said, and all the travel experts will agree, pack and then take away half.

The most important thing is the travel experience with Tauck, and you will have a great time in Italy!
  • Options
    @hhr: I"ve had lost luggage before on flights and cruises but it's usually delivered within 24 hours. Your example of a week in France with no luggage gave me a reality check. So noted: This IS possible. Thanks for the info/reality check.
  • Options
    I pack for half the time I'll be gone. Then I wash everything in hotel self laundry, if available, or in town and wear again possibly changing up tops and bottoms. You tour director will know where you can send laundry. I also pack in very large zip lock bags and sit on them to get out all the air. You can either pack outfits or categories, such as short sleeve shirts all together, shorts all together, etc. I bring one or two pair of black pants and about four fancy tops for nighttime. I bring one pair of walking shoes, one walking sandals, and one pair of dressy flats. Also, one light daytime jacket, one or two hoodies, and one pashmina for night.
  • Options
    Thanks Lenora! Your examples were great. This information will be very helpful.
  • Options
    Thank you seasoned travelers,half goes back in the closet!,
  • Options
    Did the Italian Lakes last year with daughter and doing it again this year with son and his family. Would agree with other post. Tauck travelers are not fashionistas. Half the clothes and twice the money!!!! Would add though regarding lost luggage. A few years back we went to Classic Italy and a couple of single travelers lost their luggage for week. Since then my husband and I pack half of my clothes in his suitcase and half of his clothes in my suitcase. What are the odds that both cases will be lost? It has served us well. Have fun - this is a great trip and Tauck is the best.
  • Options
    We always cross-pack. In addition, we take a carry-on with enough changes of clothes to take us through a few days in the event our luggage is lost. Less is definetly more when travelling for us. I used to stress about clothes, but no longer do so. I find mixing and matching to be the very best way to go. When we visited Tuscany for a week, we took only one carry-on each and managed beautifully. Travel for us is about the destinations not about making fashion statements. Go and enjoy and don't stress about wardrobe.
  • Options
    I really admire your "pack light" ethos, particularly with only hand luggage. But how do you manage with the carry-on, liquid rules? I understand blokes don't fuss about these things, ; ... but how do you manage with toiletries and makeup? And in my case, contact lens cleaners, etc.? Is it manageable because you are only travelling for such a short time?

Cheers,

Curious .... aka Jan
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hi Jan, Restrictions with liquids can certainly present problems. After a few years of travel, however, I did come to realize that you can purchase pretty much anything anywhere. With that said, you could easily locate drug stores to purchase shampoo, conditioner, make-up, lotions, potions and such. We were in Prague a few years ago and I came down with a miserable cold. A quick walk to a drug store close to where we were staying and I was able to purchase Czech cold medicine. I take a minimal amount of things that are travel sized and can fit into the quart bag to take on the plane. If you have questions in regard to contact lens solution and things that you feel you may not be able to find, you could easily write any of the hotels you'll be staying in, prior to leaving for your trip, asking their Concierge how accessible and where, in relation to where you're staying, you can purchase those items. In addition, airports have stores that carry all that, and so much more. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips, nyfeds. I've found Google Maps to be really helpful in familiarising myself with a location before I get there. What did we ever do without it? I do think longer stints away have their own problems, but then I always say it's easier to pack for 4-6 weeks (my average trip) than it is for 1 wee. My main gripe is that when you are actually on the road on a trip, it's hard to find yourself in the same place as a shop when you need it! With early starts and late arrivals to hotels you are generally racing to get a spit and polish and a change of threads before dinner, let alone finding the right shop! I suppose that's what partners are for, huh? ;) But then, I'd have to share my bathroom! Shudder! Touch wood ... tap, tap ... I haven't had any luggage issues in the States for a few years but I am always very careful to plot any airline connections myself ... never under 1 hour ... and I always try to arrive in a destination city at the very least the day before the tour starts. Last year I flew through Boston on Air Canada quite a few times and thank goodness I made all my connections and didn't lose anything.

A travel tip.... if you are connecting through a Canadian port for onward travel into the US (as a foreigner) allow at least 2 hours (preferably more) between connections because you will have to clear US Customs & Immigration in Canada prior to flying on. The process is EXTREMELY SLOW and apart from collecting your luggage and re-sending it, you might have to queue for an hour or more to be processed. I'm sure the US staff work as fast as they can, ... just saying'. Better to plan your connections with this in mind. You will also have to clear US Customs at your first US port of call before flying on to another US port, so keep that in mind also when you plan your flights. There's nothing worse than making it to the top of the line and getting to the hard-working Customs man, or lady, and be frazzled because you're worried about your connections. That's not a good look for foreigners entering the US! ;)
This discussion has been closed.